1913 Buffalo Nickel Crate

This seems cool.

ebay link

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    I would have a difficult time bidding on something that says "property of the US government".

TRUTH
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These have been discussed several times on the various coin boards and my opinion is still firmly that these are much more modern fantasy pieces that are not US government issued.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kool...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These have been discussed several times on the various coin boards and my opinion is still firmly that these are much more modern fantasy pieces that are not US government issued. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These have been discussed several times on the various coin boards and my opinion is still firmly that these are much more modern fantasy pieces that are not US government issued. >>

Ditto
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree... not U.S. issue. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

If such a crate were produced back then, there would be no reason to slap pictures all over it. And why the clumsily redundant "US Government Mint"?
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options

Agreed!
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely !
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they said......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody is going to get stuck...

I cannot think of an example of where the US Mint has referred to itself as the US Government Mint; US Mint and United States Mint, but never with "government" inserted in the designation.

Roger...have you ever run across "US Government Mint" in your research?

Lane

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Lane: Nope.

These are novelty items made for sale to tourists. The same folks had one on ebay last week. I think it brought about 10x the cost in a tourist trap shop.
  • Options
    I'll give em $10.00 for it.image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    "..........yet so many of those that were made were BURNED for heat during the great depression."

Hmmmm. Did the folks at the Denver Mint really need to burn packaging just to stay warm? image

I cannot believe that auction is at $780 with better than 2 days left.

Gotta question? If these are touristy things, why aren't there more up on eBay?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I contacted the seller, and he doesn't appear to be concerned with whether the item is being misrepresented or not. Here is his reply:

"I have the item. I am selling the item. I am not the one to judge
    if it has value. That is for the folks who are interested in
    purchasing it. Say what you will, but it is "old" (my definition for
    that would be "older than me") and it obviously is. I am in my
    mid 30's. It could be 100 years old by the look of it, but it could
    be simply from the 60's as some have mentioned, but if you
    have never seen one in real life then that speaks to its rarity... if
    it is rare, does it really matter the reason it was produced or
    who it was produced by? Even if it were made by Mr. Kringle and
    his elves, if they only made a hand-full it would still be rare. I
    am simply marketing the piece FOR SALE. I am not the judge of
    its value. The bidders handle that. If you want to be mad that
    you don't have it, then feel free. If you are though... you can
    HAVE IT with the right bid. Opinions are just like butt-holes
    everyone has one and most of them STINK!! Good day."

• Options
    Hi,

I wonder if this might be made of quarter sawn wood were it real, which it is clearly not just based on style. The rest of me is screaming "A WOOD BOX! Argh!" image

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Modern. Poor joints. Wood grain is not primary
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the seller stinks even more than his offering. This is just another example of uninformed buyers chasing goods they know nothing about, and at some point people cannot be protected from their own ignorance and greed.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    The listing is outright fraud. He has no documents or proof this was produced in 1913 for the Mint. He can claim it's rare if he wants but that doesn't mean it's valuable. Reported for misrepresentation and wrong category!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one of these and feel that they are a modern item. Also check out the spelling of "PLURIBUS."

It's an interesting item-nice for display but all the hype stated by this seller is complete and total BS. I'd be glad to sell him mine if he really thinks it's worth 3 grand. He's correct on one thing tho-one actually did sell for $2500 a couple of years ago.

I also have one with a Morgan dollar on it-says it contained 1887-CC coins. If that isn't a fantasy I don't know what is.
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    The subtitle of the listing says plainly "Super Rare Find - 100 Years Old - Unused Condition, so his reply to Mark that "It could be 100 years old by the look of it, but it could be simply from the 60's as some have mentioned" shows his intent to profit from deceit.

Then of course we have his statements of fiction represented as if they were fact, like "few were made," and many of those that were made were BURNED for heat during the great depression," both made by a person who says of himself "I am in my mid 30's."

But perhaps he was describing his IQ, not his age, I suppose.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    private sale id be comfortable with. im not fond of something won off the internet like that thou
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Also look at the handle. Most likely made by a modern circular saw. No way is it even close to 100 years old. Recent - very recent
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The reply Mark got is the same thing one hears from sellers of whizzed or fake coins, or those who mutilate coins by polishing them or removing mint marks. It is saddening to contemplate how much of the American public seems to have no ethical value system except personal gain.
  • Options

<< <i>The reply Mark got is the same thing one hears from sellers of whizzed or fake coins, or those who mutilate coins by polishing them or removing mint marks. It is saddening to contemplate how much of the American public seems to have no ethical value system except personal gain. >>

Unfortunately this type of seller is becoming more and more plentiful on ebay every day. Most listings are either of junk, overgraded coins, mis-represented coins, or, when the coin is actually as the seller states, WAY overpriced. Ebay USED to be such a good place to find things-alas, those days are largely gone now.
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are novelty items made for sale to tourists. The same folks had one on ebay last week. I think it brought about 10x the cost in a tourist trap shop.

To RWB. I am of the opinion that these are not modern creations but are in fact dated back to the teens. I have looked at Ron Pope's and though he thinks his is a modern copy I myself do not. Any additional information on this. If they are modern creations we would have seen a lot more of them floating around over the last ten years or so. But that does not seem to be the case. buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If such a crate were produced back then, there would be no reason to slap pictures all over it. And why the clumsily redundant "US Government Mint"? >>

Agreed, why would they put all the artwork on them. It screams "marketing gimmick".

My guess is they could have been made at any time even fairly modern and they might have been re-using old crates they got from something else.

Also notice it has a hole on the side, almost like a drain for in case whatever was in it leaked.
    Ed
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    cancelled all bids up to $800 and closed auction

rather unprofessional reply to Mark after his question

do you think the guy has a conscience or did they sell off eBay with a great offer?

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I remember posting about this one about a week back. Learned something new, yet very unfortunate about these crates from the board. But looking back, the font on that box definitely doesn't look 1913-ish.
  • Options

<< <i>"do you think the guy has a conscience or did they sell off eBay with a great offer?" >>

With the attitude displayed in the reply to Mark's question, the answer should be obvious. But of course, I'm a cynic.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Modern. Poor joints. Wood grain is not primary >>

Hey.....I've got bad joints, and I'm old...........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I am of the opinion that these are not modern creations but are in fact dated back to the teens. I have looked at Ron Pope's and though he thinks his is a modern copy I myself do not. Any additional information on this. If they are modern creations we would have seen a lot more of them floating around over the last ten years or so. But that does not seem to be the case. buffnixx >>

I agree with buffnix! And I am only here because I found it on eBay a few days ago. Bidding just started. I have been watching since day one. A week into the auction and no bids until today. Already over a hundred bucks. I am hoping to get it for less than half what it bid to the first time. Just thought I'd let u all talk some more though. Thanks for the entertaining banter!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=180715588455

By the way, I am a newb. And my name is nick. Thus my fascination with nickels and this would be the perfect storage for my collection. Happy collecting!

Nick
    I love nickels (and my name is nick)!!!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks neat
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I have one that I paid $150 for about ten years ago. Might have paid too much for it but that's about what they have gone for. Some fraudsters have tried to sell them for over $2,000 on ebay. It is a novelty item-almost certainly NOT a Govt product-check the spelling of PLURIBUS (it's spelled "PURRIS".)

I also have a nearly identical box that supposedly contained 1887-CC(!!) dollars.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the old i have a rare item scam been around for years and fools fall for it each time this scam is done
  • Options
    silverpop said...

<< <i>the old i have a rare item scam been around for years and fools fall for it each time this scam is done >>

Have you seen them? I haven't ever. Very few even on Google. Just a couple.

Their rarity can't be faked. If there were hundreds or thousands, you'd have seen more than a few on ebay. This one is the only I have seen. Ever.

I have one better for you... "the old, i don't have the item and I am mad that I don't, so I am being negative about it so others won't bid it so high".

Hope it works!! Because I will outbid you, silverpop!

Nick
    I love nickels (and my name is nick)!!!
  • Options

<< <i>silverpop said...

<< <i>the old i have a rare item scam been around for years and fools fall for it each time this scam is done >>

Their rarity can't be faked. If there were hundreds or thousands, you'd have seen more than a few on ebay. This one is the only I have seen. Ever.

I have one better for you... "the old, i don't have the item and I am mad that I don't, so I am being negative about it so others won't bid it so high".

Nick >>

I've seen at least a dozen in the last 5 or 6 years-not exactly common but no great rarity, either. EVERY one I've seen supposedly contained 1913-D Variety One Buffs-never another date or mint, something I'd find a little odd if it was a Mint product.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>silverpop said...

Nick >>

lol good luck with your sale.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am of the opinion that these are not modern creations but are in fact dated back to the teens. I have looked at Ron Pope's and though he thinks his is a modern copy I myself do not. Any additional information on this. If they are modern creations we would have seen a lot more of them floating around over the last ten years or so. But that does not seem to be the case. buffnixx >>

I agree with buffnix! And I am only here because I found it on eBay a few days ago. Bidding just started. I have been watching since day one. A week into the auction and no bids until today. Already over a hundred bucks. I am hoping to get it for less than half what it bid to the first time. Just thought I'd let u all talk some more though. Thanks for the entertaining banter!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=180715588455

By the way, I am a newb. And my name is nick. Thus my fascination with nickels and this would be the perfect storage for my collection. Happy collecting!

Nick >>

image Back again ... just as funny as last year. Good luck and have fun living the fantasy.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did see the thread last year and have thought about it several times since then. A couple of
    thoughts:

A) A box this big full of nickels would not be easily moved and that was counterproductive to the Mint.
    I believe that most smaller denominations were packed in wooden barrels. Easily moved and not
    counterproductive.

B) I too agree with the non Government use of the word.

C) The handles indents on the sides would be useless with this weight.

D) Why not two holes in the lid for a knotted rope to aid in movement.

Just not right. What kind of seal would that be with that circle thingy above the eagles head?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    "D) Why not two holes in the lid for a knotted rope to aid in movement."

The other wooden box I have-the one that contained the "1887-CC" dollars-has just such an arrangement, including the rope. I sure would like to get my hands on one of those dollars!
  • Options
    Theses were sold by Sears or Montgomery Wards back in the 1960's. I saw an ad or catalog advertising these years ago.

NJCC
    www.numismaticamericana.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file