Home Precious Metals
Options

would can I expect to get for 11.3 grams of scrap 14k jewelry?

TIA

John
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Thats about 6.5 grams of fine Au. With spot around $1180, the melt value of your scrap is about $246. A B&M dealer should give you at least 80% of that or about $200. Midwest refiners will pay 95% of that or about $234. Hope this all helps.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Gold scrap & weight converson >>

I hate calculators like that and the coinflation one. It discourages people from thinking on their own, and makes them become dependent on a website that may or may not be available to them when they need it in the future. Figuring out gold scrap value or silver "x face" value is easy and should require nothing more than a calculator. If anyone wants to know how to manually figure out scrap gold melt values, just PM me....im happy to help!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <I hate calculators like that and the coinflation one. It discourages people from thinking on their own, and makes them become dependent on a website that may or may not be available to them when they need it in the future. Figuring out gold scrap value or silver "x face" value is easy and should require nothing more than a calculator. If anyone wants to know how to manually figure out scrap gold melt values, just PM me....im happy to help!>

Almost as bad as having a sports car with automatic transmission. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Listen up guys.
    Midwest Refineries ain't all that great.
    If you send less than 3 oz they "buy outright"
    That means there is a calculated 3.5 - 4.5% loss in refining + associated assumed assay fees.
    By assumed assay fees, they calculate that the average (in my case) that marked 18K gold will be 71% pure.
    By the time they deducted all this I got 86% and not 95% as advertised.

I can get that or better locally from a small refiner here. Lesson learned.

typos.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Listen up guys.
    Midwest Refineries ain't all that great.
    If you send less than 3 oz they "buy outright"
    That means there is a calculated 3.5 - 4.5% loss in refining + associated assumed assay fees.
    By assumed assay fees, they calculate that the average (in my case) that marked 18K gold will be 71% pure.
    By the time they deducted all this I got 86% and not 95% as advertised.

I can get that or better locally from a small refiner here. Lesson learned.

typos. >>

While I agree that I never get the full 95% from Midwest, I definitely always get more than 86%. I would say that I usually receive 90-92%. And they melt as low as 1 ounce. In fact, I think I get a better deal when they don't melt.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold scrap & weight converson >>

I hate calculators like that and the coinflation one. It discourages people from thinking on their own, and makes them become dependent on a website that may or may not be available to them when they need it in the future. Figuring out gold scrap value or silver "x face" value is easy and should require nothing more than a calculator. If anyone wants to know how to manually figure out scrap gold melt values, just PM me....im happy to help! >>

Yeah, would come in handy in a SHTF scenario...If you like, you can have my slide ruler.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay 70% of melt , and have every body in this area incl Pawn shops, Jewlery stores , 2nd hand jewlers, beat by a good margin. And I mean by a large margin in some cases.

sad isnt it