Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting half dollar roll find.....and then there were 3...

My son and I have gone through about $8000 in half dollar rolls looking for silver and ran into this.....

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open it!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and in a bank roll, not a self roll.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!!!

Come on now, open it! We want to know if there are any more hiding in there!!! image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    whats on the other side?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    open it and let us know what you find.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Normal Kennedy....

I suggested to my son that he keep it like this and try to find a few other rolls with silver on either end and then sell them together. I would think nothing else in in there but the $ 500 box we got it out of didn't have a sharpy in it and had about 7, MS 40%ers... a huge find in the Chicago Land area...
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Weigh it against a roll of all clads, there should be an incremental increase per silver substitute. It would be a good math problem for your son if you two were to approximate the content before opening..
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>Weigh it against a roll of all clads, there should be an incremental increase per silver substitute. It would be a good math problem for your son if you two were to approximate the content before opening.. >>

Elementary, my dear Watson!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Cool! As a former half dollar roll searchers, those rolls are always the most exciting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a long hiatus, I got three rolls of halves at the bank last week. I had stopped since I NEVER have found anything worthwhile in those rolls - and I have searched MANY!!! So, I opened the three rolls... and....... (drum roll please)...........
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    NOTHING.... no 40%, no silver, no specials.... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Normal Kennedy....

I suggested to my son that he keep it like this and try to find a few other rolls with silver on either end and then sell them together. >>

Sell them by opening them and selling the silver ones or by selling as a "pig in the poke", like on ebay?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I would open the roll and save any Walkers and 90 percent coins.
    A few years ago I went to a small bank in MA looking for rolls. The teller said they only have two rolls in the safe. I said ok and paid $20. These I have not opened. Here is what I got for $10 per roll:

• Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>I would open the roll and save any Walkers and 90 percent coins.
    A few years ago I went to a small bank in MA looking for rolls. The teller said they only have two rolls in the safe. I said ok and paid $20. These I have not opened. Here is what I got for $10 per roll:
    image >>

image Geez! I had to pay Mint prices!
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That roll is obviously not a good one, send it to me for proper disposal image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both rolls have tampered ends... likely nothing great inside. Interesting, likely a collector turned them in after carefully opening and searching them. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Now 3.... Found some 2010's and a 96' with a huge die break. Is that common for this series?
    imageimage
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...nice find! now all you have to do is open them up, just make sure the rest of the roll isn't stuffed with fender

washers!! imageimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like an ebay auction.

• Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    Are the majority of you able to find these readily available at your local banks? I have tried several local banks at different points in the past 2-3 years and have never had a bank tell me they had any half dollar rolls available.
    Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    and you flaunted the 40%....image
  • Options
    You have to order them. Me and my son order $ 2000 at a time (4 boxes) using his $. Any profit goes to him. We've been pretty lucky as of late, maybe 1 90% and 3 40% per box. You can tell if you have a good box almost right away or after you open the first roll. If the dates only go up to 1985ish then chances are it will be good. Funny thing with one roll was that there was a 2010's in with a Franklin....

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    How do you order them? I've walked up to counters and asked if they had rolls of 50c pieces, they go get me the paper rolls, empty. I said no, I mean the coins. They said no. End of that. I was gonna get some to sit down with the kids to try to put together a clad Kennedy set.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You have to order them. Me and my son order $ 2000 at a time (4 boxes) using his $. Any profit goes to him. We've been pretty lucky as of late, maybe 1 90% and 3 40% per box. You can tell if you have a good box almost right away or after you open the first roll. If the dates only go up to 1985ish then chances are it will be good. Funny thing with one roll was that there was a 2010's in with a Franklin.... >>

Treasure hunting is a great adventure, but I'd rather place a classified ad in the local newspapers or on the internet to buy old half dollars. It certainly is a much more productive method of aquiring silver half dollars since profit is your/his motive.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Interesting to see 4 keepers per box being called pretty lucky. Oh how it was in the old days!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coool, every once and a while you do get lucky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file