Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof or Business Strike.....Color or none? Choose the coin for the type set. IHC

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which coin do you think I should keep for my type set.

Exhibit A, an 1883 Proof Indian head cent with awesome color. (sorry for the lousy photos, I was trying to capture the color)

imageimage

Exhibit B. A full red piece with average surfaces and luster. Graded MS60/60. Would likely grade 63RD today.

imageimage
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    With those two coins I would choose the toned Proof, hands down.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    StewStew Posts: 1,002
    My humble opinion The 1904
    would look Very Nice in a type set unless the whole type set was proof coins

Terry
  • Options
    tjc2120tjc2120 Posts: 714
    Exhibit A please.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    A for sure
  • Options
    I always ask myself........Which coin represents the type better. In this case I think it's B. Don't get my wrong, I love A and would probably keep it anyway but I do think B is a more realistic representative of the type. I do think A is NT, but would likely end up in a genuine holder do to the MS70 scare.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 04 from the image would grade higher than 3, unless its eye appeal is subpar. Most 3s have a number of disturbing contact marks in grade sensitive areas, like Miss Liberty's face and neck. Your coin doesn't seem to have these issues. Tick marks are minimal and there's no carbon spots that I see. I think it's an attractive coin and I think it's a keeper.

OTOH, based on the image, I don't like the PF coin at all, and would sell it to the highest bidder. The obverse appears to have been doctored by the crew that produced mulitple neon colored PF IHCs awhile back. Awesome, attention-getting color does not mean that the coin is NT. And just because a coin is slabbed and called "market acceptable" does not mean that you should "go along with the program."
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I would choose the proof. I am biased, the IHC in my type set is a proof. I think that RB proof IHC's and BN's with color are some of the prettiest coins out there.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather own the proof as an independent coin, but in the midst of a business strike type set, I'd choose the uncirculated example.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>Your 04 from the image would grade higher than 3, unless its eye appeal is subpar. Most 3s have a number of disturbing contact marks in grade sensitive areas, like Miss Liberty's face and neck. Your coin doesn't seem to have these issues. Tick marks are minimal and there's no carbon spots that I see. I think it's an attractive coin and I think it's a keeper.

OTOH, based on the image, I don't like the PF coin at all, and would sell it to the highest bidder. The obverse appears to have been doctored by the crew that produced mulitple neon colored PF IHCs awhile back. Awesome, attention-getting color does not mean that the coin is NT. And just because a coin is slabbed and called "market acceptable" does not mean that you should "go along with the program." >>

I like my 64's and 5's to have a bit more vibrant luster. That along with the spec of verdigris at the top of the wreath (left side as you are looking at it) and the hit in the field on the obverse I think holds this coin at a 3.

Unless that same group of guys was doctoring up Indians in the 1980's, as the certificate shows these same colors I would guess this coin is NT. Yes there has been many receint coins that have shown up, but this coin had this look long before this MS70 thing went down.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    keep whichever you like just Please send me the rejectimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1904 is gorgeous... a truly fine representation of a beautiful coin. The other is a circus, a psychedelic nightmare representative of a 'bad trip'. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like business strike coins. I don't care at all for proof coins. Guess my selection.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What otheres think should have no bearing on what coin ends up in you type set.

It is what you like in the end.

That is what is important!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    To me the choice depends on how it would look next to the other coins in the set. How much of a PF/BS mix do you already have?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I like the 04.
    Becky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file