Home Precious Metals
Options

Is the $5 AGE a good start?

Is the raw $5 gold eagle a good place to start for someone who has only collected silver before. Any concerns buying from 100% feedback ebay sellers? Is there really a need to pay $50 extra for a graded eagle if I am just stacking bullion? I only buy my ungraded silver from highly rated sellers and have had no problems.

Comments

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Raw, uncirculated American Eagles are a very popular way to stack gold bullion. The do generally carry a higher premium than other forms of bullion, especially in the smaller sizes.
    Zach
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breaking it down MJ style

Is the raw $5 gold eagle a good place to start for someone who has only collected silver before. Fine
    Any concerns buying from 100% feedback ebay sellers? I hate Ebay, but that's me. Try BST
    Is there really a need to pay $50 extra for a graded eagle if I am just stacking bullion? No, save the $50 and buy some silver with it

All the best, MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If you are just getting for the bullion, don't pay the extra $50 for a graded one. More than likely its a MS70 or first strike. those are more for collectors. However, if you can get one for around the same price as an ungraded one, I say go for it!! As for the 100% sellers, a small chance exists that the account could be hacked. I always check the feedback and see if they have sold either something similar or around the same value recently. Like always, if it's too good to be true, stay away from it.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep its a good way to start and just be careful on ebay and don't spend extra money for graded bullion.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    ditto
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Is the raw $5 gold eagle a good place to start for someone who has only collected silver before."

Only if you can buy them close to melt.

Any concerns buying from 100% feedback ebay sellers?

Yes, I find some of the worst sellers, in terms of quality of what they are selling, are ebayers with 100% positive feedback.

Is there really a need to pay $50 extra for a graded eagle if I am just stacking bullion?

No
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there really a need to pay $50 extra for a graded eagle if I am just stacking bullion? >>

Only if you're buying from members of this forum image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $5 AGE has a little higher premium but that is ok because you will always get at least some of it back.

You probably will not be able to get one close to melt unless you try to skim one off ebay and those types of sellers may be more trouble than they are worth, so that advice may not be applicable. By "those types of sellers", I simply mean an ebay seller that sees you coming and you have no way to know if they will deliver. If you've already had good transactions with a seller, that's probably not as much of a concern.

No need to buy a graded AGE unless you can get it at close to the same price as a raw one.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to have a graded one to feel better, try to get a 69, should be close to the raw price.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Is the raw $5 gold eagle a good place to start for someone who has only collected silver before." Only if you can buy them close to melt. >>

You'll be looking for the rest of your life if you think you can get them close to melt.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    The $5 age is good, but its nothing like the $50 age... It's a whole new experience.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Every gold bullion is a good start!
    I started with the UHR...image...now I am buying 1g gold bars...image
    If you can, go with the 1/4 ozers, they sell for a smaller premium and have a "nicer" size.