Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Expensive Pack You Ever Purchased?

2»

Comments

• Options
    A 70 FB Series 2 (Jack Snow glossy insert shows) graded 7.5 by GA for $180. Not opened. A 71 BB Graded 6 by GA. Broke it open to my regret as their was nothing but rank commons in it with a Sandy Alomar coin paid $140 Ebay.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496

<< <i>
    I've never seen a rack with 3 Ripkens on top. If I do, I will do everything possible to get it. Sorry Honey, sold your car...lol.

Here's a good 89 F rack I used to own and another rack with 3 of a good player showing (not mine). I lost out on the Birds. I think I bid $100 and it wasn't enough.

>>

That Bird rack is wild. Have never seen that. Its a smaller set, so I guess the odds are higher that you'd have 2 or 3 of the same player on the front.

But the Ripken rack you have must be extremely rare.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$2,550 for a 1968 rak pack with a Jerry Koosman RC on top, sold for 3K >>

John, you sly ba$tard. Pawning a Koosman RC off on a gullible Mets fan? Koosman???

image >>

Glad someone got it LOL

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭

1989FleerBillRipkencollector, those packs you show are awesome!! I actually have a sealed case of 89 fleer rack packs hidden away in my closet. Don't think it's worth much though, but the chance to pull a pack like the one you show makes it tempting...
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I paid $50 for some crappy pack back in 02-03 ish that had 1 guaranteed auto in it.

I pulled a f***ing Bucky Dent Auto /5, handed it to the owner of the shop, told him to get rid of it for me and left.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$250 Raw from a board member.

$200 (rare version showing on back)

image >>

Are those Billy Ripken's really worth that?

Also, I have a Billy Ripken High School yearbook on the way if interested ($35/5 shipping). >>

Are the #'s 6812-A written with a magic marker?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    swartz1- No, printed on.

dzolot- Yeah, rack cases usually sell for around $50+ ship. Rip it !!!

TheCARDkid- Yeah, only White Scrible Saw Cut rack I or collectors I know have seen.
    Here's a White Scribble rack (non saw cut) Unsure what I paid. Few hundred IIRC.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    b bb bbbump...

i couldn't resist...

• Options
    threads like this make me want to rip some rack cases lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1960 rack pack with jim katt tc showing. Paid 1500.00 . A relative of mine owned 16 1986-87 fleer bk boxes up untill 2002. 2nd for me was a 1959 nickle pack mantle series I got it in 1996.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see this was old. Sorry double post
  • Options
    The most I ever paid was $1 for a pack of 1989 Upper Deck in 1989. After that i stoped buying packs, it's cheaper to just buy the cards you want.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Seeing threads like this and the one Muggyman started got me into buying older packs. I'm finding it more enjoyable than buying single cards, a new way to collect that I had never thought about before.

I'm only a few packs into my new direction, but a month or so ago I paid $530 for a PSA 8 1970 Topps cello with Phil Niekro on front and Ted Williams on back. And the other night I bought a 1968 Topps Cello, series 3 (Mantle series) for $350 that is GAI graded 6.5. The seller nor the flip had any mention of what series it was, I just did my homework. I'm thinking I may cross it over to PSA once it gets here, still on the fence about it though.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    I just saw this thread AND my name nicely mentioned by Tedw9, thanks...well done guys!

I definitely remember the most expensive pack I ever sold (and I don't really sell)... 'Probably around 2005, I put up a 1984 Topps FB cello pack GAI 10 with Elway RC on top AND Elway RC on back. It went from $300 -> $400 -> $1,600 in the final seconds. That auction I will never forget, it sold for $1,600. I had originally bought that pack raw for $350-$400 and sent it in to GAI and got the perfect 10!

This weekend "dzolot" is coming over to make some videos of Muggyman's insane collection of unopened packs... stay tuned!