Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Expensive Pack You Ever Purchased?

I've never bought anything other than what's out at the time but I know some of you guys have bought old packs from BBCE and places...care to share what the most you ever paid for one was?

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yeah one time I bought a 2010 Heritage blaster at Walmart but I changed my mind while I was in line and told the cashier I'd be right back, but then I drove off....... Wait, I think I'm confusing myself with someone else.
  • Options
    A couple of 78 baseball rack packs for something like $45 apiece from BBCE, purchased last year.

I'm guessing there are a few guys on here that are going to be able to top me.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    ...someone is obsessed with me.

• Options

<< <i>A couple of 78 baseball rack packs for something like $45 apiece from BBCE, purchased last year.

I'm guessing there are a few guys on here that are going to be able to top me. >>

What kinda condition were the cards in?
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I think the most I ever spent was $20, and that was on a 2008 SP Authentic Football pack when they came out. The hobby edition with either an auto or a GU in every pack. Pulled a Felix Jones Auto RC...I imagine the big hit in the box...which I instantly put on eBay. This was like week 5-6 of Jones' rookie season, after he had already been ROW a couple times and before he got injured. Sold for $70...about 2x what they go for now?

Not too exciting, but not too bad.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paid 5 cents for a 1965 waxpack back in 1965 - Hey, that was a lot of money back then. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>What kinda condition were the cards in? >>

For the most part, they were very nice. There was one section of one of the racks where all 13 cards were horribly, horribly off center- and there were a few corner dings here and there..... but most of the cards had sharp corners, and aside from that one section centering was pretty good. I even got a few commons worth grading. I'll probably do it again at some point.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    $300+ for a couple of 1959 Topps FB Cello packs and about the same for a 1966 Philadelphia FB wax pack(all graded) ,I busted them all. Also a couple 86 Fleer BK for roughly the same price.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About $100 or so, maybe more (can't remember) for a pack of 2004 Leaf Limited. The big hit in my pack was an auto'ed Larry Fitzgerald rookie, which I ended up selling just before he became a huge star. image

I should note that I bought that pack with the winnings from a poker tournament I'd won. I wanted to do something kinda dumb and frivolous with the money, something I would never do otherwise - and buying that pack was it.

Tabe
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I think $35 for some 87/88 fleer basketball packs (bbce). Not thrilled with the condition of the cards, some were near mint/ex mint. But pulled the usual mix of cards, like magic, ewing, drexler, etc. No jordan, but a nice jordan sticker.

Also $40 for some 85/86 opc packs. I'll buy more of those one of these days. Nothing in the ones I bought.

One of these days I'll move up in the world and crack some 86/87 fleer basketball.

-It's funny, whenever I'm on the bbce website, I'll hedge myself for my entire order. For example, if I buy a box (with only one major star in it). I'll buy packs from others years that are more bang for the buck. With more star cards and a smaller set. Does anyone else do that? I almost can't order something for $100 or $150 with very little chance of only 1 star and nothing else.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    $40 1975 topps opee chee pk.
    $15 1954 bownan football penny pack
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    $500 for a 1971 Topps baseball series 1 pack. Didn't have the guts to bust it. And it was raw, so I graded it and it was a 7.5. Nice pack I wish I still had.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I bought a couple graded 1972 packs a while back and posted the rip. Back in 1994 I bought a pack of Signature Rookies for $5 which was very high for a pack of cards then. Autos were rare in packs at that time and for $5 I was guaranteed an autograph. I pulled a Derek Jeter whom I never heard of then but was told by the dealer that he was one of the better autos. I still have the card.
  • Options
    Paid $700 earlier this year for a unknown series 1963 Baseball wax pack PSA 8. Pop 2, none higher.

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Damn Nice, Congrats.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paid $700 earlier this year for a unknown series 1963 Baseball wax pack PSA 8. Pop 2, none higher.

image >>

Wow! Is that a Pete Rose on top? J/K
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Paid $700 earlier this year for a unknown series 1963 Baseball wax pack PSA 8. Pop 2, none higher.

image >>

Wow! Is that a Pete Rose on top? J/K >>

I won't find out! My packs stay in the slabs. I couldn't face that kind of disappointment if a PSA 10 Rose, Mantle, Mays, etc weren't in there. I get enough disappointment with the modern stuff that I bust.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm unable to answer this in the chance that my wife stumbles up this post.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up a 1972 Topps Football cello pack (2nd series) for ~$120 from BBCE, which is my most expensive to date. Until this pack it was a 1976 Topps cello pack (~$65 or so).

The '72 pack will be busted here when I get it!!!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    about 20 years ago i paid $75 a piece for two 86-87 Fleer Basketball packs. Netted one Jordan sticker and one Jordan RC.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    $225ish for a couple different packs. 72 Topps Series 1 PSA 9, 75 Topps Cello with Killebrew on Front and Winfield on the Back PSA 10, and 73 Topps PSA 9.
  • Options
    $250 Raw from a board member.

$200 (rare version showing on back)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>Sorry, I'm unable to answer this in the chance that my wife stumbles up this post. >>

Same Here, lets just say that its in the neighborhood of the most expensive pack mentioned so far !!!! But if an Unopened 1962 Topps/Bubbles Mars Attacks pack ever surfaced I'd be at 10-20 times that !!!!!!!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    71 Wax box from BBCE.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>71 Wax box from BBCE. >>

Holy cow! Did you bust any?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>about 20 years ago i paid $75 a piece for two 86-87 Fleer Basketball packs. Netted one Jordan sticker and one Jordan RC. >>

Wow, that was a bummer, huh? Sorry.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, I'm unable to answer this in the chance that my wife stumbles up this post. >>

Anthony---how much is is worth to you for me not to print out copies of your pack collection and send it to her with a rough estimate ? image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    likewise--I plead the 5th.

In fact is this my wife asking to see if I pony up the answer??

It is---uhhhh..$35 for a pack of something

Dumbest? $175 for an '86 Rack with Canseco on top in '88
  • Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Awesome thread!! Looks like a lot of people got some really good buys...

Here's my unopened pack collection (mostly vintage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxuhDTt72c

And this is my unopened box collection (vintage and modern)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFweRfl3g0

I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    Lets try this again...

Packs

Boxes
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I took a huge (for me at least) eBay gamble and paid $4500 for a wax box of 86-87 Fleer BK + bonus complete 86-87 set with stickers from a guy with like 3 feedback back in 2002. Ended up with 4 Jordans including the one in the set. One 8 and three 9's. After grading and selling a bunch of the rookies and the Jordans, I made out pretty well.
  • Options

I've got a good guess as to what the answer to that is anyway...

52 bowman football wp for me. Im saving up for the appearance of a 48 leaf pack, odds are OTW will outbid me on it though.... image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A single pack? A 1972 Topps baseball rack pack with Willie Mays on the back for $700, if we're counting rack packs. Or a blue-wrappered 1st series 1969 Topps baseball cello pack (with Topps logo--very rare) for about $600.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1960 Topps Baseball rack pack with jim Katt rc showing, from the al rosen find. (single Pack)

But I was able to buy a box of 1961 Fleer greats baseball from Fleers grandson. Coolest box Ive ever owned.

Opened several 1951-1972 packs over the years. All have been fun.

• Options
    Anyone ever see a 1951 bowman baseball pack? I have NEVER seen one for sale / auction. That is a holly grail for me... Any thoughts on how much a low and high series would go for??

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    $2,550 for a 1968 rak pack with a Jerry Koosman RC on top, sold for 3K

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I paid something like $280 for a 1975 Topps baseball wax tray.

Still have it.

Sure hope it's legit.
  • Options
    I paid a 125 for a 75 Topps cello with George Brett on top, sold it about a year later for 225.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    too many to mention, so i just don't know, a lot were resold.....but, i recall in the early 90's paying a substantial amount for a collection of 60's stuff which included a set run, a notebook full of singles and a wax pack run from the same period and i'm guessing that the '62 & '63 Topps Baseball packs were figured in at roughly $250 apiece.....so, i took possession of these packs from my partner at my expense, specifically so i could open them, because i had never opened packs from either year and i planned a special sit-down with a nice glass of cognac and some jazz and......i got. zilch. image

i know the packs were legit and the cards looked shiny except they were horribly cut and there were no notable players to speak of or i would have remembered.....i have no idea what even happened to the cards, but i DO remember selling the wrappers for some pretty good coin on eBay. image

that was that.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>$250 Raw from a board member.

image >>

Are those Billy Ripken's really worth that?

Also, I have a Billy Ripken High School yearbook on the way if interested ($35/5 shipping).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought most of my packs in the '90s and paid between $250 and $350 for most of the 1960s packs. I bought most of them from Mark Murphy, The Perfect Card Company and BBCE. My biggest purchase was $6k for a run of 1972-1976 Topps baseball wax boxes. Man those packs were nice. Lots of stars showing too.
  • Options

<< <i>$250 Raw from a board member.

Are those Billy Ripken's really worth that?

Also, I have a Billy Ripken High School yearbook on the way if interested ($35/5 shipping). >>

If I threw them on ebay, unsure what they would fetch. I only know of 3 active "hardcore" FF collectors. I'm starting to think I paid more for the cello, pretty sure it was $400...not positive though. I guess I blocked it out, lol. It was a BIN. Since I started FF hunting around 2006, I have not seen another of either pack, nor has anyone I know. It was alot of $ for me to spend, but totally worth it to me.

I'll pass on the Bill Ripken yearbook. I just stick to FF related items. Thanks for the offer though.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    bsavagebsavage Posts: 204 ✭✭
    Maybe a dumb question.... but, how can you tell which version you have by only seeing the back of the card in the cello?
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>$2,550 for a 1968 rak pack with a Jerry Koosman RC on top, sold for 3K >>

John, you sly ba$tard. Pawning a Koosman RC off on a gullible Mets fan? Koosman???

• Options

<< <i>Maybe a dumb question.... but, how can you tell which version you have by only seeing the back of the card in the cello? >>

The last card in the pack has a Bill Ripken back and Randy Johnson front....kidding.

Not a dumb question at all and to keep others from making them, as anyone could easily, I have to just say trust me. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was going to ask the same thing about the FF Ripken, maybe an Xray? I remember an old beckett from the early 90's, they used an x ray type machine to detect if there was a card in a t206 pack. I think when those packs were initially uncovered, they weren't sure if there were cards in them or not.

I wonder if there's an 89 ripken rack with all three top cellos showing a ripken? I know for other years I've seen the same card twice on the top of a rack.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

ditto
  • Options
    bsavagebsavage Posts: 204 ✭✭

<< <i>Not a dumb question at all and to keep others from making them, as anyone could easily, I have to just say trust me. image >>

I see... you're one of those secretive kind of guys image
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    No packs, just wanted to say thanks to everyone - this is a great thread. burgundy - a whole box of 71s? sweet...
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to ask the same thing about the FF Ripken, maybe an Xray? I remember an old beckett from the early 90's, they used an x ray type machine to detect if there was a card in a t206 pack. I think when those packs were initially uncovered, they weren't sure if there were cards in them or not.

I wonder if there's an 89 ripken rack with all three top cellos showing a ripken? I know for other years I've seen the same card twice on the top of a rack. >>

No x-ray. Not a saw cut. I have a email from Fleer mentioning the version. Sadly, it's so easy to replicate, and extremely rare, giving details will cause more harm than good, IMO. If you get one, email me and I will talk more about it.

I've never seen a rack with 3 Ripkens on top. If I do, I will do everything possible to get it. Sorry Honey, sold your car...lol.

Here's a good 89 F rack I used to own and another rack with 3 of a good player showing (not mine). I lost out on the Birds. I think I bid $100 and it wasn't enough.

imageimageimage