Options

BBCE National Group rip sign up thread - OPEN TO EVERYONE

Comments

• Options
    I'll take 2 of the 1979 cellos
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Bill,
    I'll add (4) of the 79 bb cellos to my lot.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Trying to help the cause of getting this thing closed out.

I'll take the other (7) 79 cellos and (5) 76 wax packs.

Turns out I could take back $300 from my wedding fund because my fiance snuck out $300 without telling me.

Rather then argue with a wall she agreed to let me just take the same amount she took!
  • Options

<< <i>Trying to help the cause of getting this thing closed out.

Turns out I could take back $300 from my wedding fund because my fiance snuck out $300 without telling me.

Rather then argue with a wall she agreed to let me just take the same amount she took! >>

She will forget about hr 300, but one day she will remind you of the 300 you took. It may not be for years but one day you will be reminded.
  • Options

I'll take the other (7) 79 cellos and (5) 76 wax packs. >>

Only 5 of the 79 cellos left but they are yours.
  • Options
    If the 76's manage to rally I'll through another 5 on my credit card. But only if it comes down to it.

Come on people! Lets close this bad boy out!
  • Options
    I'll take 6 of the 76... thanks
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options

<< <i>

Rather then argue with a wall she agreed to let me just take the same amount she took! >>

She will forget about hr 300, but one day she will remind you of the 300 you took. It may not be for years but one day you will be reminded. >>

Oh, and let me tell you, from somebody who has been married numerous times, 5-8 years from now you will have no clue WTF she is talking about, but I guarantee you it will be your fault and she will xplain to you exactly why you screwed up and how !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And talk about holding a Grudge....Nothing holds a Grudge like a Woman...I would rather get between a Grizzly and her Cubs than some Frickin' thing that happend with my woman 4 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, these '76s look like they might happen!! Thanks for all of the latest buyers! Anyone else want to help? Let's do this damn thing! image
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Fine,

(Looks Over Shoulder while shoulders cringe, and instinctively ducks), you talked me into it, I'll take two packs of the 76. When the Wife finds out, Not If, When, it will be Jeffs and Bills fault !!!!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Pull a couple blazers and all the guilt will go away. image
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>Pull a couple blazers and all the guilt will go away. image >>

True Dat !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neilimage
  • Options
    4 Left! Come on CU! Lets get this done!
  • Options
    Anyone under the influence want to polish off this Group Rip?? image
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I just can't figure out what is in the 76 wax packs that makes the packs worth that price...

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    The right years NHL packs would have been sold out by now; without begging!

Times have changed!
  • Options
    mosaicmosaic Posts: 700

<< <i>I just can't figure out what is in the 76 wax packs that makes the packs worth that price... >>

The what: Eckersley RC; regulars of Ryan, Aaron, Reggie, Schmidt, George Brett; a pretty cool Sporting News All-Star set with Teddy Ballgame, Ty Cobb, etc. All in all, it's just a well balanced set...

The why: Centering, cutting problems, print problems (dots, smears, etc), just general quality control problems that make it tough to find high-grade examples. So, if you got a pack that somehow didn't have these problems, you'd be sittin' pretty.

Of 1300+ Eckersleys sent in, only 3 came back 10's. 2,451 Nolan Ryans sent in, and 3 are 10's. 657 Reggie Jacksons and just 1 is a 10. A number of cards have no 10 examples in the pop report. For example, Hank Aaron's #550. No 10!

Now, I totally respect the cojones of anyone busting a box of this stuff without having scene what other boxes in the case yielded. I sure don't have the mettle.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just can't figure out what is in the 76 wax packs that makes the packs worth that price... >>

The what: Eckersley RC; regulars of Ryan, Aaron, Reggie, Schmidt, George Brett; a pretty cool Sporting News All-Star set with Teddy Ballgame, Ty Cobb, etc. All in all, it's just a well balanced set...

The why: Centering, cutting problems, print problems (dots, smears, etc), just general quality control problems that make it tough to find high-grade examples. So, if you got a pack that somehow didn't have these problems, you'd be sittin' pretty.

Of 1300+ Eckersleys sent in, only 3 came back 10's. 2,451 Nolan Ryans sent in, and 3 are 10's. 657 Reggie Jacksons and just 1 is a 10. A number of cards have no 10 examples in the pop report. For example, Hank Aaron's #550. No 10!

Now, I totally respect the cojones of anyone busting a box of this stuff without having scene what other boxes in the case yielded. I sure don't have the mettle. >>

Thats why I cannot quiet make myself pull the trigger on one myself. Tempted to get one hold it til I see the other cards from the box.
  • Options
    The way I look at it is, I spent $85 on a box of 2010 Allen & Ginter and pulled four GU/Auto cards that sold for less than $4.00 each on ebay, so I'd rather spend that money on two 33 year old packs that could yield minty-fresh HOFers and possibly make my money back on one card. The thrill of ripping a pack that is older than me, holds ten times the thrill of opening this modern junk.

To each their own, I'm really looking forward to ripping these puppies in the company of some fellow board members at the show! image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legit 1976 wax is also scarcer than other years from the mid-70s, including 1975 minis and 1977s..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I already put it out that I'll buy up to another 5 which leaves a minimum of just 4 left.

I'd buy them also but I just don't have the funds right now.

I really want to bust this stuff! Maybe even send in one of the packs to get graded.
  • Options
    Make it 3 left. I will take one of the 76's
  • Options
    List updated. Did I miss someone on the 76's?

Like with all older packs, we are just looking for gradeable cards and enjoying the experience of the rip. The 76's are one of my favorites and are always tough on centering. However, PSA seems to not be as tough on them. I have subbed a lot that I thought were 9's at best that got 10's. Never have I been disappointed in 76's that I have subbed.
  • Options
    I think K was taking some more of the 76s
  • Options

<< <i>List updated. Did I miss someone on the 76's? >>

Yes, Adam (K) said he would take 5 more, giving him 10 total '76 BB packs.

Only three more left! One way or another, they will be sold out by noon ET today, I promise. image
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Received my '75 minis from BBCE over the weekend and did some ripping last night. Do we want any spoilers for those of you who are planning to rip yours at the National?
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Show them off
  • Options
    Please spoil us!! Scans!! I didn't realize he was shipping them already, but that's good to hear!
  • Options

<< <i>Received my '75 minis from BBCE over the weekend and did some ripping last night. Do we want any spoilers for those of you who are planning to rip yours at the National? >>

NOOOO!! Don't ruin my aniticipation. However, if you got all crap, feel free to post pics image
  • Options
    I really just wanted to know how the condition of the cards are, so I know whether to rip or slab. image
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    i just paid for my 2 packs of 86 topps football. Thanks for putting together. sorry if the payment was late.. wasn't sure if i was suppose to wait untill everything sold out.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>I really just wanted to know how the condition of the cards are, so I know whether to rip or slab. image >>

I must concur. Show 'em if you got 'em.
  • Options
    I videotaped the breaks, and I promise to post those today. As for the cards - the centering on the packs I opened (as you'll see) was not fantastic.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I can live with the centering as long as the corners weren't dinged up and didn't have major gum damage. Looking forward to some video! It better include a dog licking itself though. image
  • Options
    Overall - the corners were good and I had no gum problems out of any of my packs.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i> Looking forward to some video! It better include a dog licking itself though >>

No need for more videos of Gecko
  • Options

<< <i>Adam (K) said he would take 5 more, giving him 10 total '76 BB packs.

Only three more left! One way or another, they will be sold out by noon ET today, I promise. image >>

If Adam is still picking up his additional 5 packs, then mark me down for the last three and close this thing down!
  • Options
    Heck yeah Jeff!!!
  • Options
    Ok lets see...

(10) 1976 Wax Packs @ $42.50 = $425
    (5) 1979 Cello Packs @ $14.06 = $70.30
    S / H / I @ $5 + $6.50 = $11.50

Jeez $506.80!

Good thing the ol lady screwed up to give me that $300 buffer!
  • Options
    There better be a group sub after this. I just let my membership expire a couple months ago.
  • Options
    Adam, even if there is no group sub, you can piggy back on mine under the August Special.

Are you still planning on going to the National? Do you think you'll be there for the rip?
  • Options
    Here are videos of the six packs I ripped (broken up into two packs per video):

1. '75 Topps mini rip

2. '75 Topps mini rip

3. '75 Topps mini rip

Sorry the video quality isn't better - I'm working on my camera work & lighting skills.

Jeff
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Adam, even if there is no group sub, you can piggy back on mine under the August Special.

Are you still planning on going to the National? Do you think you'll be there for the rip? >>

I can't make it because I have to go to Newport, RI to do crappy wedding planning stuff. Absolutely po'd because of it!

I told Crystal to go by herself and take care of it all, which almost ended the whole wedding venture all together!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are videos of the six packs I ripped (broken up into two packs per video):

1. '75 Topps mini rip

2. '75 Topps mini rip

3. '75 Topps mini rip

Sorry the video quality isn't better - I'm working on my camera work & lighting skills.

Jeff

Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed that. And great pull on the Yount! Too bad the centering was so brutal. Does anyone know if these packs were pulled from one of the REA boxes? Or are they from a different source?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks Grote!
    Jeff
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    So are we ok to go ahead and pay??

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Great videos Jeff! The centering really sucks, but I'm used to busting Mini packs and only getting one or two solid cards. The videos are a great way to kick off the group rip, thanks!
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I is Soooooooooo confused.

Can we pay now or wait until all are sold out?
  • Options

<< <i>I is Soooooooooo confused.

Can we pay now or wait until all are sold out? >>

We should be good to pay up. Bill just hasn't come on to give the green light.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭