Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***Some very sad news about IGWT

It is with a heavy heart, and at the request of IGWT's wife, I share this very sad news. Lou passed away last night, suddenly, at the very young age of 47. Lou was a special friend and indeed a special man that deeply loved his wife and 2 daughters and as we all know, he loved collecting and this community. I know I'm not alone here in having had the great benefit of knowing Lou very well - I know many of you were friends or at least acquaintances. Lou was generous with his knowledge and his time and truly loved being a part of this community. He had an exceptionally witty sense of humor and yet a heart for people that was always genuine and sincere.

He will be missed by many.
Mike Printz
Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins

Comments

• Options
    That is very sad news, indeed... my prayers go out for him and his family... may he rest in peace

In God We Trust...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news indeed. He will be missed greatly. RIP

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Hanging head....this is indeed terrible news. The family has my extended sympathy.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear the news. image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Man that is horrible news, he was a good one. Way too young. Will keep the family in my prayers.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image He always seemed like a nice guy with a lot of knowledge, through both posts and a few nice PMs.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed his posts. May God be with his family in their time of need.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know Lou but enjoyed reading his posts.......He will surely be missed image

My prayers go out to his family.

RIP IGWT
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    That is heartbreaking news.image

Lou was a highly passionate and knowledgeable collector. But more importantly, he was also a man of great integrity, personality, wit and character. I liked him before I ever met him, based on messages we had exchanged. And I liked him even more after I met him in person.

I will miss him greatly and will not forget him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Very sad to hear this news. My prayers go out to his family.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievably sad news. image

Lou was of the few members of this forum I have had the opportunity to meet in person. Lou was always gracious with his time and free in sharing his knowledge. His unrivaled wit and sense of humor will be sorely missed.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    RIP friend. image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP IGWTimage

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very sad....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear and yes he did have a sense of humor.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a great guy whom we all liked and admired. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. RIP Lou image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coincopwifecoincopwife Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Great loss to the various online families. image

And from SFDukie: "Will someone ... post specific condolences for me there, where Lou's wife may read it? "

(If anyone would like to share a link to "the other place" with Lou's wife, that might be nice.)

• Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I specifically told Lou's wife I'd be sure she recieved a link to the threads, this and the one I posted ATS. She will most certainly read the posts...I will be sure she gets them.
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How devastating...

As there are simply are no words to express the sorrow I just felt having learned of the sudden unexpected death of IGWT image

This is a sad and difficult time for me! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RIP to IGWT . Prayers and Condolence to his family.image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers and best wishes to the family
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly sorry to hear this sad news.
    My condolences to Lou's family.

RIP IGWT
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is horrible news, the most terrible thing I can imagine being posted here. I am extremely saddened to learn this, literally shaking. Though we only met in person a handful of times, I considered Lou to be one of my close coin friends and confidants. The two of us had dinner together at the FUN show in 2009 and chatted about our loved ones, careers, travel and other interests, and life, in general. I remember it like it was yesterday. Lou was a true gentleman.

On the less serious side, we often exchanged barbs (including his poke at me on the last thread I posted here several weeks ago), but it was always in jest. I teased him about shield nickels, and he teased me about, well, everything else.

Lou was passionate about his family, his work as a labor attorney, and, of course, his coin collection. While he focused his interest on the shield nickel series, varieties, and related patterns, he was one who easily found something interesting and inspiring about whatever you happened to be collecting. His daughter (whose name I will not mention because he wanted to protect her privacy) is a budding collector of half dollars, and I remember sending a couple to her over the years and remember the very polite and articulate thank you notes that she sent to me, specifically recalling how the letters reflected the kind of father he must have been.

I am sorry for blabbering on, but suffice to say, I am very broken up over all of this. I will really miss my friend, Lou. image
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Very sad to lose a forum member...
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear thisimage

I met Lou once, at the 2009 FUN show. He was very passionate about his collecting specialty and had a ton of knowledge...

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Along with everyone else, I am very sad to hear of such a young man being taken away in his prime. I too enjoyed reading his posts, and please let his family know that we will keep them in our thoughts and prayers. Lou will never be gone to those that have him in their heart....
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...my condolences to the family.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Terribly sad, my heart goes out to loved ones and friends. I know his presence will be missed on the forums, myself included.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very sad to hear this. RIP, IGWT.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrible news! image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this news, and my prayers go out to his family. Life is so much shorter than we think.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear that. Please extend my condolences.

The only saving grace is that he didn't suffer, but it is certainly a shock to his family and to all that knew him.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will miss his presence here.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Very sad! He was definitely one of the good ones. He'll be missed.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Very sad to hear this. He was a thoughtful contributor and maintained a sense of humor about the world. We had several interesting PM discussions about his coins and he was always generous with his knowledge. He will be missed.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tragic. How sad Lou passed away so young. What a huge hole it must leave in his young family. May he rest peacefully and his family receive the comfort they need and deserve.
    Lance.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far too young.....

RIP IGWT
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoyed his posts and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Very sad news.

RIP IGWT
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    image very sad indeed.

Eric
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. Too young for sure...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is sad news. My wife and I extend our condolences to his family.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file