Home Sports Talk
Options

2010 SF Giants regular season: bipolar fan rantings, begining on June 29th

13»

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Giants win tonight, Saturday or Sunday can we expect digcat to immediately post the following update to this thread:

"THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT,................... THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT,...................... THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT"image

Anything less than the above would just be................................, well............................., wrongimage
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't think the division title constitutes a "pennant."

A pennant would be reeeeeal nice though.. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Shows my ignorance of baseball.

The NL West Crown does not = the NL Championship.

My bad.

I will ask the question again if the Gigantes are within 1 game of winning the NL Championship [I will also check on my spelling of "Pennant"image].
  • Options

<< <i>[I will also check on my spelling of "Pennant"] >>

You got it right... I think. Without a spell checker I'm pretty lost.

• Options
    Padres showed up gave Giants starter Matt Cain a 4 ip, 6 earned run (3 homer) loss, on his 26th birthday. Basturds!

Giants put 4 on the board and had chances to get more, but couldn't complete the comeback.

Well, the good news is:
    Tomorrow's game is televised, so if the Giants clinch tomorrow, I’ll get to see it.

The bad news is:
    Barry Zit-NOOOOOOO is taking the hill. image

Giants face Tim Stauffer on Saturday. Last time the Giants saw him, he shut them out through 6.
    Giants face Mat Latos on Sunday. Last time the Giants saw him, they jumped him for 5 runs in 4 innings, and he's been out of whack ever since.

SF = L, SD = W, ATL = L, CIN = L

10/1 standings
    Giants
    (Braves: Wild Card) 1
    (Reds: clinched Central) 2
    Padres 2

• Options
    Barry Zito and the San Diego pitching staff combined to defeat the Giants 4-2.

Padres need to win two in a row, Giants need to win 1.

Sanchez takes the hill tomorrow. You can flip a coin on that guy. One day he's lights out, the next day he gets his lights put out.

SF = L, SD = W, ATL = L, CIN = W

10/2 standings
    91 wins: Giants
    90 wins: Padres / Braves (WC) / Reds (clinced Central)

• Options
    In situations like this momentum shifts can be quick and unpredictably throughout the games and the down time between games.

For both teams.

However, the Giants have to be feeling the pressure big time right now, with their shirtcollars tightening around their necks. Meanwhile the Padres have to be thinking pretty good right now, winning two straight in S.F.

If the Giants lose tomorrow, then a one game playoff to decide the NL West Champ will be on Monday? Where would that game be played? S.F. or San Diego?
  • Options

<< <i>If the Giants lose tomorrow, then a one game playoff to decide the NL West Champ will be on Monday? Where would that game be played? S.F. or San Diego? >>

It'd be played in SD on Monday, since SD took the season series.

With the Braves getting spanked by the Phillies, the Wild Card is still up in the air too.

There are 4 ways this can all end on Sunday:

Scenario 1 (IDEAL): Giants beat the Padres and win the West, Braves beat the Phillies and win the Wild Card.

Scenario 2: Giants beat the Padres and win the West, Braves loose to the Phillies. Braves and Padres would then play Game 163 in Atlanta for the Wild Card.

Scenario 3: Giants loose to the Padres. Braves loose to the Phillies and are eliminated. Giants and Padres meet for Game 163 to decide the Division and the Wild Card.

Scenario 4 (CHAOS): Giants loose to the Padres, Braves beat the Phillies. Giants and Padres play in SD for Game 163 for the West. Looser travels to Atlanta to play the Braves in Game 164 to determine the Wild Card.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Scenario 4 (CHAOS): Giants loose to the Padres, Braves beat the Phillies. Giants and Padres play in SD for Game 163 for the West. Looser travels to Atlanta to play the Braves in Game 164 to determine the Wild Card. >>

That would be the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Braves!
    Go Padres!
  • Options
    Giants have been putting runs on the board in each of these games. The only flaw is that the starting pitching has failed.

Hopefully, the Pads will get the "Dirty" Sanchez tomorrow.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm rooting for the Giants, but the baseball fan in me would be thrilled to see something like you've laid out in scenario #4.
  • Options
    All this tie-breaking stuff gets confusing. I was wrong about Scenario #3.

Scenario 3: Giants loose to the Padres. Braves loose to the Phillies and are eliminated. Padres are awarded the West based on their season record against the Giants, the Giants get the Wild Card.

• Options
    Giants will win 6-5 today. Just a little prediction.
  • Options
    what an exhausting series.
  • Options
    Braves won, so we'll either get

Scenario 1 (IDEAL): Giants beat the Padres and win the West, Braves beat the Phillies and win the Wild Card.

Scenario 4 (CHAOS): Giants loose to the Padres, Braves beat the Phillies. Giants and Padres play in SD for Game 163 for the West. Looser travels to Atlanta to play the Braves in Game 164 to determine the Wild Card.

• Options
    Has any Padre or Giant played in every game, when was the last time someone played in 164 games, ever? Giants up 2, may be over anyway.
  • Options
    Exhale.......

Padres fans hate Jonathan Sanchez for his no-hitter last year against them, and for his trash talk this year, and he gets to be the one hammer the final nails in the 2010 Padres coffin.

AWESOME!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Exhale.......

Padres fans hate Jonathan Sanchez for his no-hitter last year against them, and for his trash talk this year, and he gets to be the one hammer the final nails in the 2010 Padres coffin.

AWESOME! >>

YES!!!!!! I posted on my Facebook page that Sanchez would shut them out today! SWEET! I am officially a Giants Fan!!!!! (Well...for today only of course) As you posted in a message several weeks ago....come Thursday......now that they "helped" our Braves....THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!! image Congrats on winning the NL West! image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Digicat! Good luck in the playoffs.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats Digicat! Good luck in the playoffs. >>

I bought a few Giants tickets and an officially licensed Giants hat this season, so I'm quite pleased to consider myself to be one of the many financial backers of the 2010 SF Giants. image

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Rich. I know it's been a while coming.

This reminds me a lot of '82 and '91 (I will never forget Will Clark that year "Hey, don't y'all worry, we'll take care o' them Dodgers for ya!"), just no Dodgers in sight this time.

Great game(s), great season(s), two evenly matched and (to my mind) very similar teams. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as this pains me to say.....Congratulations to the Giants and their fans. The Giants hung in there and did what they needed to do. The Padres hung in there also until the last day, but they really played poorly over the last month of the season.

Steve
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Rich!

Brian
  • Options
    Oakland Tribune had a pretty curious mix of front page stories and headlines and pictures...

• Options

<< <i>Has any Padre or Giant played in every game, >>

No. The only two guys in baseball who played in all 162 games this year were Matt Kemp (LA) and Ichiro (AL)

<< <i>when was the last time someone played in 164 games, ever? >>

In 1962, the Dodgers and Giants finished with a dead tie for the National League pennant. The Giants/Dodgers season series was tied at 9 games each. So, since there wasn't an NLCS back then, they had the Dodgers and Giants play a 3 game playoff series to determine who'd win the pennant. The Giants won in 3 and went on to loose to the Yankees in the World Series.

Anyways, LA's Maury Wills played IN EVERY GAME that season, and ended up with a record 165 games. Due to the use of 1 game playoffs now, Wills' record is likely an "unbreakable" records.

• Options
    Congrats to the Giants for winning the NL West Crown.

I suggest to digicat that instead of continuing this thread, he start a brand new thread on the Giants and their upcoming post season adventure.
  • Options

<< <i>I suggest to digicat that instead of continuing this thread, he start a brand new thread on the Giants and their upcoming post season adventure. >>

Good idea.

2010 Giants Playoffs thread