Home Sports Talk
Options

2010 SF Giants regular season: bipolar fan rantings, begining on June 29th

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>So what is your prediction? >>

My prediction? No playoffs. Right now, the pitching sucks most of the time, the bullpen can't stop the bleading most of the time, and the offensive is hitting balls directly at defenders. I won't be shocked if the Giants go 0-for the rest of the season.

The Padres control the West, and the Giants face them another 7 times before the season's out. The Padres have owned the Giants all year.

Sepember call-ups won't make a difference. The other 15 guys on the 40 man roster are mostly rookie pitchers getting rocked in AAA, injury replacements, one criminal who'll probably be going to jail soon, and a few meh-minor leaguers. The only big move the Giants are talking about making is DFAing someone to get Dontrelle Willis up here. LOL!

But, if you ask me this same question after the Giants manage to string 3 wins together in beat-down fashion (instead of the morning after a shocking loss), I'll be high on Giants kool-aid and will say something completely different. image

Being a Giants fan is a bipolar endeavor. imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Alright, I've got my box containing rookie cards for 25 man roster all scanned in.

Perhaps this nutty bit of fansanity will give the Giants the mojo they need to start the playoff run!

The Rotation: Lincecum, Zito, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgarner
    imageimageimageimageimage

The (usual) Infield: Posey, Huff, F. Sanchez, Uribe, Sandoval
    imageimageimageimageimage

The (usual) Outfield: Burrell, Torres, Guillen
    imageimageimage

The Bullpen: Wilson, Romo, Affeldt, Casilla, Ramirez, Lopez
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

The Bench: Whiteside (C), Ishikawa (1b), Fontenot (IF), Schierhotlz (RF), Rowand (CF), Ross (OF)
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Just activated from the DL today: Renteria (SS), Runzler (LHRP)
    imageimage

Welcome to the big leagues: Darren Ford (OF)

• Options
    San Diego has lost 6 in a row. Has the fairy dust finally worn off?
  • Options
    So I was looking at the standings today and saw that the Giants are only 1.5 games out of the Wildcard...and you call that torture? I knew San Fran had been up and down but your team is in the playoff hunt still! You may not think so, but the standings don't lie. Consider yourself lucky you can call a season being 13 games above .500 torture. I know expectations are different for different teams/fans but you'd go absolutely freakin loony in Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    At least Pittsburgh has recent championships in football and hockey. The Bay Area has been on a drought for a couple of decades since the glory years of the Niners. And the Giants have never won a World Series in SF while Pittsburgh fans have the "We are the family" team to hang their hats on.
  • Options

<< <i>So I was looking at the standings today and saw that the Giants are only 1.5 games out of the Wildcard...and you call that torture? I knew San Fran had been up and down but your team is in the playoff hunt still! You may not think so, but the standings don't lie. Consider yourself lucky you can call a season being 13 games above .500 torture. I know expectations are different for different teams/fans but you'd go absolutely freakin loony in Pittsburgh. >>

It's torture because the Giants play ugly baseball. Errors, bad swings, tons of GDPs. Sometimes they minimize the sloppiness and win games, other times the mistakes take a toll. In about a third of the games, the decision goes to the bullpen, meaning late game colapses or late game comebacks. The relievers will throw wild pitches and walk guys, but then strike out the side. It's nuts. There are very few "clean" wins, and just about every win can be converted to a loss if 1 mistake gets made.

Every year (except for a few), Giants fans collectivally shout "WE'RE IN IT! THIS IS IT!" But by the time October rolls around, that "IT" gets an "SH" added to the front of it.

While part of me is bracing for the wheels to fly off at the last possible moment, another part of me is quietly whispering "Can this be it? Can this be the year?"

• Options
    embrace the drama and stop worrying that the sky is falling and be very very thankful they are only 1.5 back with their best pitcher having an off year. Sanchez has over performed and Cain seems to have righted the ship. The offense has some new pop. and i think the WC is in sight.

see, and im not even a Giants fan!
  • Options

<< <i>embrace the drama and stop worrying that the sky is falling and be very very thankful they are only 1.5 back with their best pitcher having an off year. Sanchez has over performed and Cain seems to have righted the ship. The offense has some new pop. and i think the WC is in sight. >>

I am embracing the drama. I'm embracing it so hard that my hands are turning white and I can't breathe anymore.

• Options
    Giants needed a good set of wheels, and called up a Ford.

Rockies trotted out 2010 Ubaldo Jiminez, and the Giants trotted out 2009 Tim Lincecum. Awesome!

More please!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why, but suddenly I'm interested in this thread. image
  • Options
    Guillen's crap defense resulted in a 3rd out becoming a 2 run single instead. Sigh.

F speed, F defense, but a B- bat. I'd rather see Schierholtz in RF with his A speed, A defense, and D bat.

• Options
    Padres are in a tailspin right now... to bad the Giants are too. image

If there was a way to hit into an inning ending double play with no outs and nobody on, the 2010 Giants would find a way.

• Options
    Wait, Giants wack 4 clutch homers in the last 3 innings and win? Does not compute!

UUUUUUUUUribe!

• Options
    I wish the Giants could have done better than .500 baseball while the Padres dropped 10 in a row. Oh well.

Today was a great "torture" day. Dual shutouts going into extra innings. Giants batters looking pathetic at the plate and on the basepaths, and the Giants pitchers working out of jams all day long.

Nate Schierholtz inserted as a pinch runner, then promptly got picked off at 1st. He made up for it when he ripped a clutch 2 run triple that ended up being the game winner. I've always liked Nate, so I'm glad that he got to be a hero for the day.

Clearing off the 15 day DL and being returned to active status:
    Chris Ray (RHRP), Guillermo Mota (RHRP)
    imageimage

And now that the Fresno Grizzlies (AAA) played their final game today, a few call ups:

Manny Burriss (2b/SS), Eugenio Velez (2b/SS/OF)
    imageimage

Burriss and Velez have bounced between AAA and the Giants for the last few years. Burriss is all leather, no wood. Velez is known as Failez around these parts.

• Options
    Sigh.

Wild Card: Braves Win
    West: Padres win

Giants = looser.

2 back in the wild card and 2 back in the West. 4 game set in SD starts tomorrow.

When the Giants leave SD, they'll either be 2 games up, tied, 2 games back, 4 games back, or 6 games back. Padres have had the Giants number all season. Hopefully that 10 game skid the Pads went through is still stuck in their head.

Every win seems like a gift, and every loss seems like 10.

• Options
    TIED FOR FIRST!

Epic TORTURE game.

Padres pitcher dominating, Giants pitcher quazi-dominating with wild stuff ( 1 hit, 7 walks). Bullpen locks it down, and the Giants manage to play small ball and score on a busted up would-be double play, with the Juggernate (Schierholtz) wiping out a "2002 Angel." Brian Wilson comes in, whiffs 2, walks the tying run and strikes out the winning run.

I can finally breathe now..... ahhhhhhhhhhh.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
  • Options

Lots of outside pitches called strikes today against the Giants, resulting in a tie between the Umpires and the Padres for first place.

• Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Andres Torres is lost for the next 2 weeks due to an emergency appendectomy happening today.

"Andres the Giant" has been the Giants electric leadoff man, is 2nd in the league in doubles, and a legit gold-glove contender. It was his glove that allowed the Giants to put slow guys (Burrell, Guillen) at the corner outfield positions.

Aaron Rowand will take his old job back. He's a good fielder, but he swings a toothpick at the plate these days.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Rich, not to worry. You've got the pathetic Dodgers coming into town for three. I would be worried about Colorado, though. Their play smacks of their 2007 run to the WS. They were the darling pick before the season started, and now they're finally living up to it. Too little too late, or peaking at the right time?
  • Options
    TIED FOR FIRST (again)!

Now that Andres Torres is gone for the next 10 or so games, Aaron Rowand celebrated getting his starting job back by going 0-5.

Great performance by 2009 Tim Lincecum today, both from the mound AND at the plate.

Number of runs Tim Lincecum gave up today: 1
    Number of runs driven in by Tim Lincecum today: 2

Giants ran Padre ace Mat Latos from the game after tagging him for 5 runs in 4 innings. Latos usually owns the Giants. Not today. image

<< <i>Rich, not to worry. You've got the pathetic Dodgers coming into town for three. I would be worried about Colorado, though. Their play smacks of their 2007 run to the WS. They were the darling pick before the season started, and now they're finally living up to it. Too little too late, or peaking at the right time? >>

The 2010 Dodgers have cratered, but they can still post losses in the SF loss column. There’s too much history of the Dodgers and Giants reaching out from the grave to pull the other in for company.

Yeah, the Rockies make me nervous. Padres are headed to CO tonight for 3 games, and the Giants will be there in 2 weeks. Rockies are 50-22 at home (and only 29-42 on the road).

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rich, Looks like this torture thread was good luck for your team this year. Not too long ago the Padres were looking great and hadn't had any real losing streaks or any lulls this season. Now its an actual race now.

Earlier this year I heard several baseball analysts say that someone has to win the NL West....Guess they weren't kidding. lol

-b
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Rich, Looks like this torture thread was good luck for your team this year. >>

The title of this thread has changed multiple times to reflect the manic-depressive nature of being a Giants fan. Well, it's been less manic and more depressive. Giants games are a rolercoster ride of emotion. Here's a crazy stat:

The Giants starters are a combined 51-49.
    The Giants bullpen is a combined 30-14.

That's a lot of late-inning comebacks and/or bullpen implosions.

<< <i>Earlier this year I heard several baseball analysts say that someone has to win the NL West >>

Yeah, the NL West isn't going to be an easy thing to win. The wild card is pretty crazy right now too.

• Options
    Yup, there's the image 2010 image Giants. Giving away wins.

Dodgers held to 1 hit, and that hit didn't even result in a run.

Here's how the Giants lost:

hbp, walk, walk, ERROR = 1 unearned run.

Dodgers win, 1 - 0.

• Options

<< <i>Yup, there's the image 2010 image Giants. Giving away wins.

Dodgers held to 1 hit, and that hit didn't even result in a run.

Here's how the Giants lost:

hbp, walk, walk, ERROR = 1 unearned run.

Dodgers win, 1 - 0. >>

Also,
    Nice to see Kershaw get a break last night. He's leading the league in K's and has an ERA of 2.85 now, but he's had his share of no decisions and losses he shouldn't have.

Really a bummer seeing the Dodgers having to play the role of a spoiler, but I'll take it when I see the Giants drop another. image

brian
  • Options
    Giants scratch one out 2 - 1 to move within .5 of both the West and the Wild Card.

Good pitching matchups so far, I guess. Not sure how much of this is dominant pitching, or weak hitting.

• Options
    FIRST PLACE IN THE WEST!

Giants take season series from Dodgers 10 games to 8, and move ahead of the Padres for 1st place in the West in the process.

The final 15 games will be a minefield:

3 vs Brewers
    3 @ Cubs
    3 @ Rockies
    3 vs Dbacks
    3 vs Padres

• Options
    Game 1 of 15... first landmine found. Crap.

2nd time in the last 4 games where the opposing pitcher went the distance for a shutout. Giants didn't even make Randy Wolf work, and gave him a bunch of quick innings. Suckage.

• Options
    Aiding my Giants with my own form of "crazy" more Giants cards!

Back from the DL (and the minors)...

Ryan Rohlinger (IF) (no MLB cards)

And I'm upgrading my Darren Ford to a Gold Refractor. image

• Options
    Wow, Giants are so desperate for runs that they pinch-hit or Lincecum in the 5th during a 2-0 game. The guy who pinch-hit for Lincecum walked. Tim didn't do badly either, and got hosed by poor defense behind him.

The offense is tired. It's done.

• Options
    Giants fail. 2nd place. 3rd place is in the near future.

Giants hitters are all slumping together now. A nice happy family.

image this image!

They'll try for the sweep on Sunday.

• Options
    Oh, look at this, 1st place again. How'd that happen?

Mind-numbing offense. One day, nada, the next day, dingerz!

(WC 1.5)
    SF
    SD .5
    CO 1.5

SF: 3 @ ChC; 3@ CO; 3 vs AZ; 3 vs SD
    SD: 3 @ LA; 3 vs CIN; 4 vs ChC; 3 @ SF
    CO: 3 @ AZ; 3 vs SF; 3 vs LA; 4 @ StL

• Options
    Buster Effing Posey!!

Another "homer or die" performance by the Giants tonight. Fortunatly they got the homer!

Giants win, Padres win, Rockies loose, (Braves loose)...

9/21
    (WC .5)
    SF
    SD .5
    CO 2.5

• Options
    I'm beginning to think you're Bipolar image
  • Options
    A local writer says the Giants "live an die by the long ball." Pretty scary when the lineup isn't packed with monster power.

63% of the Giants runs this month have come across the plate as the result of a homer. They're 8-1 when someone in the lineup goes yard, but only 4-5 if not.

Everyone's swinging for the fences now, and as a result of the free-swinging, the Giants have been shutout 3 times this month alone.

• Options

<< <i> They're 8-1 when someone in the lineup goes yard, but only 4-5 if not. >>

Make that 4-6.

In the past 10 games, the Giants are 5-5. 4 of those 5 losses were shutouts. And here's the kicker...

In those 5 losses, the collective ERA of the Giants pitching staff is 1.88. In wins, the collective ERA is 1.20.

It doesn't take much to beat the Giants. image

9/22
    SD
    SF .5
    CO 3

• Options
    FIRST PLACE! (again)

Uh, ok. On Wednesday, the Giants swang at pitches like they had blindfolds on. Tonight they replaced the blindfolds for "bullet-time," and erupted with a 13-0 blowout win (with a 9 run 2nd inning)! More please!

Homer or die? Homer x 4.

"The Giants held their opponent to three runs or fewer for the 17th consecutive game – amazingly, the longest streak since a 20-game run by 1917 Chicago White Sox"

An oddity of tonights game... in the 2nd inning, Jose Guillen got plunked twice, both followed immediatly by a Juan Uribe homer. 1 guy gets 2 HBPs in one inning, the next guy gets 2 HRs in one inning.

I like the results tonight... SF = W, SD = L, CO = L

9/23
    (WC 0)
    SF
    SD .5
    CO 3.5

• Options
    9/26
    (WC 0)
    SF
    SD .5
    CO 4.5

Missed the first two games of this series due to bad radio reception where I was taking a weekend vacation, but got to hear most of Matt Cain's near-no-no vs the Rockies today. Rockies will need a miracle to stay in this race, being 4.5 down with 7 to go for them.

Giants head back home to face the spoileriffic D-Backs, then the final battle for the West when the Pads comes to AT&T Park.

• Options
    WOW.

Great "TORTURE" game tonight.

Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez was horribly wild through the first few innings, walking 4 and hitting 50 pitches by the 3rd inning. After that, he "cleared the mechanism" and went into shut-down mode.

With a 2 run lead, the Giants brought in closer Brian Wilson in the top of the 8th with 1 out and runners at the corners... and he retired his 5 guys for the save.

Giants got 3 runs from RBI singles. Huh? Giants players can do that? Amazing!

Anyways,

SF = W, SD = L, CO = ELIMINATED

9/28
    SF
    (ATL: Wild Card) .5
    SD 2

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. Will be fun to have some playoff baseball in Nor Cal. As long as they don't win the world series I will root for them! image
  • Options
    They will be fun to watch in the playoffs. I'd still be worried about their offense, but if they make it to the playoffs I most certainly would not want to face them in a best of 5 series with Lincecum, Cain, and Bumgarner going. Of course, they'll probably let Zito start instead of Bumgarner but that would be a huge mistake since he's been terrible for months on end.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ring the bell...the Giants are in! I wonder how Barry Bonds feels about this team right about now? imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Ring the bell...the Giants are in! >>

Lets not have Dusty give the game ball to Russ just quite yet.

I'll "ring the bell" when the Giants clinch.

• Options
    Live and die by the longball....

Timmy's start was a lot like Sanchez's, struggled for the first 2 innings, giving up a leadoff homer, then locked it in and struck out 11.

Giants offence looked totally flat... then PAT THE BAT!

SF = W, SD = W, ATL = W

9/29
    SF
    (ATL: Wild Card) .5
    SD 2

4 games left, and the Giants need to win 2 of them to take the West.

• Options
    With the sweep completed against the D-Backs, the Giants are 1 win away from clinching the West.

• Options
    Padres got evicted from New Wrigley Field (Yay Cubs!) in San Diego and are heading north looking for vengance or for someone to put them out of their misery.

Padres need a 3 game sweep to tie up the West. If that happened, they'd face Lincecum in a 1 game playoff.

Braves play the Phillies for 3 games, but the Phillies are likely resting all of their major starters for the NLDS.
    Reds face the Brewers for their final 3 games.

SF = W, SD = L

9/30 standings
    Giants
    (Braves: Wild Card) 1
    (Reds: clinched Central) 2
    Padres 3

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    you're welcome. We still have a genuine dislike for Steve Garvey and that lot anyway.

regards,

Chicago Cubs
  • Options
    Well Rich, It looks like the NL West Title is the Giants as long as they get one win against the Padres. Can you guys get it done? I will be the first to say congrats to your team.

Brian
  • Options
    Padres will sweep.