2010 SF Giants regular season: bipolar fan rantings, begining on June 29th

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

or...

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Be happy you don't have to watch the cubs.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options

<< <i>Be happy you don't have to watch the cubs. >>

This...this...this.

Here is my new quote:

"Your team in trouble and in need of a winning streak? Hope they play the Cubs next."

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    August 9-12: Cubs v Giants in SF. Should be interesting, like a pillow fight between two blind guys in the middle of an empty parking lot. image

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>August 9-12: Cubs v Giants in SF. Should be interesting, like a pillow fight between two blind guys in the middle of an empty parking lot. image >>

HAHAHAHAHA That had me laughing out loud ... REALLY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Mark Grace says a "Slump Buster" should be an ugly girl.

The Giants took it a step further: they made Ubaldo Jimenez their slump buster and ganked him for 7 runs in the 3rd inning today, going on to win 11 to 8. Wow.

Now, on to the next loosing streak!

• Options
    Extra inning loss. Helps to exhaust the players to help compensate for any bad plays by the Brewers tomorrow.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have your wife give you a hug, you'll be ok.
  • Options

<< <i>Have your wife give you a hug, you'll be ok. >>

I might need a little more than a hug.... image

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm not a Giants fan but I live near S.F. and I've got Cain, Zito, Wilson, and Posey on my fantasy team so I end up watching a lot of their games . . . and they are the most frustrating team to watch play. If a starter gives up a run or two in the first couple innings then I change the channel because the "L" is practically in the books already.
  • Options
    When told that the Giants sucked, the Brewers apparently took it as a challange.

Watching the Giants is a masochistic endevor, but at least there's some payoff..

• Options
    Ok, this was just awesome!

crazy baseball: Giants v Dodgers style

I never knew that there was a rule about how many coaching visits you could take before a pitcher had to be removed. Now I know.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Back then, he caught then-Dodgers manager Grady Little making two trips to the mound to talk with Brad Penny, and got Penny out of the game.>>>

WHY COULDN'T GRADY HAVE MADE THAT MISTAKE IN THE 2003 ALCS WITH PEDRO ON THE MOUND!!!
  • Options
    Every time the Giants loose in a pathetic way (e.g. getting shutout) I am immediately reminded of the last few years of total suckage the Giants have given the fans for the last several years.

I'm further reminded of the fact that the SF Giants couldn't win rings with Willie Mays, Orlando Cepeda, Willie McCovey, Gaylord Perry, and Juan Marichal TOGETHER, ON THE SAME TEAM, IN THEIR PRIME! image

Come on Giants, WTF?!

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Bring back Jeffrey Leonard!!!

One flap down!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Bring back Jeffrey Leonard!!!

One flap down!!! >>

Was the 1987 NLCS MVP for the Giants... even though they didn't win.

I didn't see the award presentation, but I'm sure it was an awkward moment.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    At least you also have the Athletics, 49ers, Raiders, and Warriors. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Be happy you don't have to watch the cubs. >>

Quote from the movie "Rookie of the Year":

Commentator: The Cubs are now on their longest winning streak of the season...two.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>At least you also have the Athletics, 49ers, Raiders, and Warriors. >>

Pretty much every Bay Area team should have "Warning: Construction in Progress" signs on their stadiums.

Well, I like what my Giants did last night. Love that pitching!

imageimage

• Options
    Yeah, it looks like upgrading our Buster Posey to the "Starting Catcher" model has worked out pretty well:

Buster the 1st baseman and backup catcher: 26 games, 1 hr, .290 avg, .316 obp, .387 slg
    Buster the starting catcher (and occasional 1st baseman): 22 games, 7 hr, .459 avg, .500 obp, .788 slg

• Options
    Well, the "Buster Posey - Catcher" era has been a blast so far. Since he took over as the #1 catcher on July 1st, the Giants have been pretty good, going 21 - 7..
    11-6 vs .500+ teams
    10-1 vs .500- teams

August will be a bit more difficult, with 20 games vs teams with winning records, and only 7 against sub .500 teams.

• Options
    August:
    1-0 vs Dodgers
    1-1 vs Rockies
    1-3 vs Braves

One way to look at this is that the Giants have beaten every team they've faced this month. The other way to look at it is that the Giants decided that winning was too much work.

Now they limp back home to face the Cubs. On a side note, not counting the outcome in today's Cubs game, the Cubs have outscored the Giants this month 29 to 21. However, Cubs pitching has coughed up more than twice as many runs than the Giants' pitching has.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately for the Giants, life doesn't get too much easier the rest of August! Games coming up the rest of this month against the Cubs,Padres,Phillies,Cardinals,Reds,Diamondbacks and Rockies!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Unfortunately for the Giants, life doesn't get too much easier the rest of August! Games coming up the rest of this month against the Cubs,Padres,Phillies,Cardinals,Reds,Diamondbacks and Rockies!!!! >>

I expect more of this:

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    They're a fun team to watch. What was it Krukow said a few weeks ago? "It's never dull with this team"? Lots of guys on that team I respect and a few that I really love (like Edgar.)

<< <i>Was the 1987 NLCS MVP for the Giants... even though they didn't win.

I didn't see the award presentation, but I'm sure it was an awkward moment. >>

That series was when I soured on Ozzie Smith. He cried like a little girl who dropped her ice cream cone about how Jeffrey didn't respect the Cards.
  • Options

<< <i>They're a fun team to watch. What was it Krukow said a few weeks ago? "It's never dull with this team"? Lots of guys on that team I respect and a few that I really love (like Edgar.) >>

The SF Edgar (.257, .317, .339) is a far cry from the Atlanta Edgar (.310, .374, .451). Still, there are several close games this year where Edgar came through, and he's usually solid with the glove.

Yeah, it's never a dull moment.

After today's game, Jonathan Sanchez (who got the L today) showed off some bowling ball sized cojones and guarenteed that the Giants were going to beat down the Padres and make the playoffs. Heh, if the rotation stays the same through the rest of the season, Sanchez will face the Padres 3 more times this year.

• Options
    An 11 inning nail biter against the Cubs, but the Giants manage to win on a sac fly.

Giants = 15 left on base
    Cubs = 12 left on base

Tonight was the Jerry Garcia tribute night, too.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I can remember seeing video of him and Bob Wier do the anthem before a game. Good stuff.
  • Options
    The remaining Dead band members sang the anthem last night.

• Options
    WTF?

Gnats get swatted by the Chicago Bears: 8-6.

Lincecum = 4 innings, 8 hits, 6 earned runs. 4 of those runs were scored in the top of the first before Lincecum got the 2nd out.

The only bright spot was Buster Posey adding to his Rookie of the Year case: 3-5, 2 doubles, 4 RBI.

• Options
    Giants traded for Mike Fontenot before today's game, so he just had to carry his stuff across the field to the other dugout. An interesting tidbit on Fontenot:

<< <i>Before each game, the 6-foot-5-inch, 255-pound Zambrano pounds his hand on top of Fontenot's head.
    Then Big Z lifts the 5-foot-8, 170-pound Fontenot onto his back and gives him a piggyback ride.
    "I really can't remember where we got it from," Fontenot said. "It's just driving a nail into the ground, and then we implemented a thing where I jump on his back and he carries me to the promised land." >>

• Options
    Pat the Bat!

The guy's gone .299/.388/.558 in his 53 games with the Giants, and hit 10 HRs and driven in 28.

And to think, the Rays wanted him off the team so badly, they absorbed most of his contract in order to kick him to the curb. Giants are only paying him league minimum.

Funny part about today's game: they gave Andres Torres the day off and started Aaron Rowand in CF. Rowand went 0-4. With the bases juiced in the bottom of the 9th, they pinch-hit Torres for Rowand. Result? Walk-off victory!

• Options
    During the off season, Giants GM Brian Sabien reached into the scrap heep and pulled out Aubrey Huff. Good move!
    In May, Sabien reached into that scrap heep again and pulled out Pat Burrell. Another good move.

Today, he reaches in again and pulls out Jose Guillen.

Hopefully his 2010 luck continues.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey digicat...

Maybe a weekend drive to Yosemite or Tahoe might soothe your soul...then again the wife huggy thing might help too.

Tis only beisbol.
  • Options
    Thats funny
  • Options
    Its how i feel about the lions.....I just can't look away
  • Options
    Jonathan Sanchez guaranteed that the Giants would sweep the Pads this weekend. FAIL.

<< <i>Maybe a weekend drive to Yosemite or Tahoe might soothe your soul...then again the wife huggy thing might help too. >>

Poor BoSox fan, lashing out. image The've got meds for that.

Giants baseball: wife AND toddler hugs required.

• Options
    Giants players should make their early October vacation plans.

No way this team will make the playoffs.

Here's a fun stat: over the last 13 games, Giants starters are 0-8, while the bullpen is 5-0.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Here's a fun stat: over the last 13 games, Giants starters are 0-8, while the bullpen is 5-0. >>

LOL - I have to laugh at that because if I don't, I'll cry. Somehow I ended up with Zito, Cain, and Bumgarner all on one fantasy team. As soon as they give up a run (earned or not) I know they've lost.
  • Options
    San Diego has been on their game lately!
  • Options

<< <i>San Diego has been on their game lately! >>

They're dink-dink-dinking their way to winning the West.

I'll say this though, "borrowing" Pat Burrell from the Rays has been a pretty fun, he's turned back into "Pat the Bat."

Burrell and Aubrey Huff have had great seasons. They were both picked up off the scrap heep and paid pennies. After this year, they'll be free agents and will likely want multi-year contracts like they had when they were in their primes. With over $30 million a year tied up in the likes of Barry Zito and Aaron Rowand for the next few seasons, I'm thinking the Giants will make an effort to sign either Burrell or Huff, but not both, for 2011.

• Options
    Jaime Garcia only needed 89 pitches to dominate the Giants' impotent lineup of hitters. 3 hit shutout, but both of Pat Burrell's singles got instantly nullified by the Jose Guillen's GDPs.

Suckage.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But they now have Cody Ross....that's gonna help.......right?
  • Options

<< <i>

I'll say this though, "borrowing" Pat Burrell from the Rays has been a pretty fun, he's turned back into "Pat the Bat."

>>

Yeah he has had a serious turn around! One of those instances where a change of scenery really helped a lot. I wonder if it's a clubhouse thing? I don't see him really fitting with the Rays, whereas he's good friends with Aubrey Huff from back in their college ball days.
  • Options

<< <i>But they now have Cody Ross....that's gonna help.......right? >>

I think Cody Ross was a miscalculation. They claimed him on wavers to keep the Padres from getting him, but apparently thought that the Marlins would pull him back. Nope, now we have a 6th outfielder.

<< <i>Yeah he has had a serious turn around! One of those instances where a change of scenery really helped a lot. I wonder if it's a clubhouse thing? I don't see him really fitting with the Rays, whereas he's good friends with Aubrey Huff from back in their college ball days. >>

The "bromance" between Huff and Burrell is often talked about by the SF writers.

Aubrey's always yacking it up to the press, while Burrell seems to stay quiet. But, if you believe Huff's stories, both he and Burrell are two wild and crazy guys who keep it loose and fun in the clubhouse for everyone else. That, combined with huge personality guys like Juan Uribe and Pablo Sandoval over on the Latin end seems to make the 2010 Giants a happier bunch. Too bad they don't win. image

I hope the Giants make an effort to re-sign those guys. Burrell's a local kid and Huff's said over and over again "I WANT TO COME BACK, RE-SIGN ME!"

• Options
    The Giants are now 1-0 in the Cody Ross era. image

The same Giants team that got owned in a 89 pitch shutout, ran the Reds starting pitcher Edison Voloquez out of the game in the 1st after scoring 5 runs on 39 of his pitches.

Voloquez was who the Reds got when they traded off Josh Hamilton a few years ago, and while he had a good 2008 season, he had Tommy John surgery in 2009 and was busted for PEDs in in spring training of this season. WHOOPS!

• Options
    11-2, 16-5? Wow.

When Cody Ross arrived in the SF dugout for the first time, he brought a bag full of runs and distributed them to all his new teammates. image I hope they didn't use them all up in these two scoring binges.

• Options

Giants rally from a 10-1 defficit to take a 11-10 lead with them into the 9th, lay a big fat error that results in the a tie... then loose 12-11 in extras.

Kinda lets all the air out of the tires.

• Options
    Game lost because two usually solid gloves decided to suck at the same time. Not to mention a game full of GDPs and overall wooden suckage.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    digicat.

Each Giants game prompts a new reply from you with the appropriate emoticon. No doubt this will continue through the end of the season for the team, be it regular season or playoffs.

Can you take stock of the Gigantes todate and make your prediction today, 8-31-2010, whether the team will make the playoffs or not.

I do not follow baseball that much [NFL, NBA, college hoops and high school hoops for me], but living in the SF Bay Area and tuning in to KNBR results in an overload of Giants information. I did go see my first Giants game at ATT this year [with my son who graduated from high school and is now in his freshman year in college]. It was in late June against the Dodgers. I must admit that ATT is an absolutely great venue for a baseball game. Very cozy and intimate. Well behaved fans, great views of the bay and opposite shore and a beloved team.

However, the team this year is one that takes a fan on a roller coaster ride. I imagine that one day you want to pull your hair out and say adios to this year's team; and the next day you are thrilled with the team and just know that it will make the playoffs. Emotional highs and lows is what you get with the 2010 Giants.

So what is your prediction?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the Giant's making the playoffs.