Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

whats your best coin bargain found at the flee market???

I found a 2-1/2 indian for 65.00 a while back,,,,,,,,, How about You?
Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com

Comments

• Options
    I got a 1954 Roosie in change at the flea mart last week.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I bought some Libertads for half of spot when silver was $6. image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 1795, plain edge, large cent for $1.00, and it graded out at PO-01. My wife spotted it and so it will stay with me. Any gradable 18th century coin in PCGS plastic is easily worth a full dollar.
    Tom

• Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Holy Carp, Tydye!!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a 2-1/2 indian for 65.00 a while back,,,,,,,,, >>

Was it real?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a 1928-P Peace for $100 that later graded 63 and an 1899-P Morgan for $50 that graded 64 (Both @Anacs in the late 80's)
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Where are you people finding these flea markets? Holy cow!
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

First coin I bought, costed me a WHOPPING $60! It was a lot 6 years ago for a 14 year-old.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stop looking at that 1795 Dollar

a belated congrats- terrific coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow... 1795 dollar in that condition for $500?? may I say, with no malice intended... you suck! image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a Fine 15 1899-O Micro O Top 100 Morgan VAM 6 in a G.S.A. pliofilm "Blue Pack" for 21.50. Sold on Fleabay for 10X cost.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a 2-1/2 indian for 65.00 a while back,,,,,,,,, How about You? >>

Good deal......if it's real!
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I found a 2-1/2 indian for 65.00 a while back,,,,,,,,, How about You? >>

Good deal......if it's real! >>

Good deal if it's gold !
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I found a 2-1/2 indian for 65.00 a while back,,,,,,,,, >>

Was it real?image >>

YES it was
    Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a flee market. No just kidding I have not found any thing that wont stick to a mignet yet. I need to look harder. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a 14 d Lincoln (F/VF) a few years ago along with a 1804 half cent in VF for about $60 bucks... image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a bunch of 1795 Silver Dollars with Washington's head on the obverse. Seller SWORE that they were real. I suppose he was correct, at least in the existential sense image
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never found any great rarities. Did find an 1895-O silver dollar VG on a table for $10 several years ago. Also a 13-S dime for $2.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a circulated 1880 Lib $5 gold piece for $165 which was about melt at the time. It was the 1880/1 overdate and it slabbed at AU58. It is a very nice original coin with only a few very tiny tic marks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I picked up a 1938-D walker in XF-AU probably about 10 years ago and it was marked at $38 when I found it in the half price bin so I paid $14 bucks. No clue what it is worth today but I believe I flipped it on ebay back then for like $60 image There was another key date that I grabbed from the bin at the same time but for the life of me I can't remember what it was image
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I bought a SAE for a buck under spot several months ago
  • Options
    I bought the scarcest year redbook (5th edition I think) for a dollar and sold it to a dealer for around $175, this was probably 20 years ago.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been a few years, but I bought my 1894 Morgan at a flea market. The seller was a usual and had been given a whole set minus the 93-s to sell. I thought the 94 Morgan was the best coin I get from him at $600. It ended up in a small ANACS holder at F12....yet another coin I wish I hadn't sold.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never found a coin bargain at the flea market. Found some other great deals, but the coins were all overpriced and not of interest. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Bucket of copper coins for 3.00

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some really good flea markets around these parts--good deals on coins and other stuff as well.
    I've found too many good deals on coins to remember them all....although last month I found a 1956 Type 1 Franklin (unattributed) in a PR65CAM OGH.
    The coin is a shot DCAM and looks nicer than a 65.
    It's on its way to be graded.

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Dateless SLQ for $1 which shows how tough it is to find a deal at a flea market

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Thought I had found a Indian Head 1888/87 but alas it was just grime and gunk...

My other hobby is looking for art work.

Nothing comes to mind except a painting found at a yard sale.

$5 got me a water color from a dead California artist who had auction results as high as $500.

I keep trying, but I've picked a lot of nice antique prints but nothing of significant value.

Mostly rescues from the inevitable trip to the dumpster.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have one flea market a year around here (High School French Club sponsors)... and while it has a wide variety of things, I have yet to see coins....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

@tydye said:
    $500 about 10 years ago at Cowtown NJ

I want one of those!

Gorgeous...

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kryptonitecomics said:
    at $38 when I found it in the half price bin so I paid $14 bucks.

Man, I'll never understand this new math!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this raw for $20. Graded MS67 at PCGS. Sold it for a very substantial profit.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past year, probably a 1856-s lg over small s quarter

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a guy in VT bought a Continental Dollar at a flea market, possibly in 60s, and always assumed it was fake. Took it in to a local shop maybe five years ago, got it certified, and it sold for something like $121,000.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 1965 SMS with a nice cameo cent. It's in for grading right now, hoping to see a 66CAM out of it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been stung at flea market as well as benefited by some purchases.

Here is a seller that had some underpriced items, he said he bought the collection from an elderly diabetic guy who didn't check around on value.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best recent find (a change find) was a 1953 S Lincoln Cent which would grade MS 65 RD if I sent it in (and it would cost more to grade than it was worth).

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coins but I did buy a large storage type box of coin books for $5 that included a Breen's Encyclopedia.\

How are all these old threads coming back to life? By the time I get about 10 pages deep it's time to go to bed. :D

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 227 ✭✭✭

15 years ago or so,
    41-d Jefferson marked at $2
    came back 67fs

• Options

Around 7 years ago found a 1884 IHC for 9 dollars that graded out at PR64 RB

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collectors search a "flea market" with their eyes. At a "flee market" they search with a magnet.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted before, 3 items come to mind at various automotive swap meets.

A bucket of bolts, that buried inside was a bank bag, with over $200 face in 90%, all for $25 IIRC.

A n 189?-S Morgan, forget which, Graded G4, IIRC, sold to Heritage for $300, paid $10

When silver was high 30's low 40's (I do not document everything down to the second) a guy was just starting to lay stuff out, and had boxes of coins. he had "been in the business" years ago, and was clearing it out. Most 90% dimes were 50 to 60 cents, quarters for $1.50, and halves for $3. Some were more. In the junk box, $1 each or 6 for $6. was a pile of Sac's.

I bought EVERYTHING I could til I ran out of cash, as it was a small auto swap meet so I only had about $1500 or so. I quickly headed to the bank, reloaded, and bought everything that was reasonable. his Morgan, even then were pricey.

Ironically, a couple tables down, an elderly gentlemen was selling off his SnapOn and Mac tools, and among his stuff was a brand new in the box Colt .45 ACP Stainless full size for $500, bought it also.

I bought a lot of things that day with Sac's.

• Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 8:00PM

Last year I bought 10 better grade indian cents for $22. This 1887 DDO was in the stack.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file