Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official New York Mets 2010 Mediocrity Thread...can we break .500???

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
Because it's time...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Topping the Mets fans best seller list this week -

• Options
    Philly fans seem a little ornery these days, and rightfully so..their team is playing rather uninspired baseball at this stage..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF ANCIENT HISTORY?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Philly fans seem a little ornery these days, and rightfully so..their team is playing rather uninspired baseball at this stage.. >>

Phillies have actually been playing well as of late, the Braves and Mets have kept pace though.

But will the Braves and Mets be able to keep up that pace the rest of the season?
  • Options
    In the next couple weeks, at least for the braves, the division games really pick up, could start to see some seperation one way or the other.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Phillies have actually been playing well as of late, >>

Yeah they have been winning 4 of 10 as opposed to 2 and 3 of 10.

I wish this thread was never created.........

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Phillies have actually been playing well as of late, >>

Yeah they have been winning 4 of 10 as opposed to 2 and 3 of 10.

I wish this thread was never created.........

Steve >>

<<< I wish this thread was never created......... >>>

Too late...the CU Sports Talk jinx is now in effect.
  • Options
    I have been saying the prayer needed to ward off the evil eye and all jinxes.

En la strada e passada un ochio........

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The Mets have had so much bad luck over the last few seasons, they are completely jinx-free at this point, Steve! image

• Options
    0-1

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    0-1

Steve

Is your name Steve or SteveK? Can't tell by that last post, oh ye of little faith...image

• Options
    Looks like jinx worked on Philly tonight...blowing 5-run lead in 9th..

• Options

<< <i>Looks like jinx worked on Philly tonight...blowing 5-run lead in 9th.. >>

Copied from the unabridged book of CU Sports Talk jinxes, section 8, rule 69:

"A specific team thread cannot jinx any other team but the team pertaining to the thread."

• Options
    0 and 2

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    0 and 2

Steve

Hey, we can't play the Orioles and the Indians every week, LOL...

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    should be a great series this week as we meet the Mets!! just 20 short minutes away!!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Grote- I have a serious question for you. I read this morning that the Mets players are lobbying the GM to add an "ACE" to the pitching rotation. We both know that the Mets could use 1 more pitcher, although Dickey has been a nice stop-gap. BUT BUT BUT, how can the players say that you guys need an ace when you have Johan Santana under contract? If I was Santana, I would feel slighted by some of the stuff in the papers. I personally think if you guys are about to open the checkbook again, you should go get a higher quality SS or 2B and get rid of Cora one of your middle infielders. Hope all is well.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Grote- I have a serious question for you. I read this morning that the Mets players are lobbying the GM to add an "ACE" to the pitching rotation. We both know that the Mets could use 1 more pitcher, although Dickey has been a nice stop-gap. BUT BUT BUT, how can the players say that you guys need an ace when you have Johan Santana under contract? If I was Santana, I would feel slighted by some of the stuff in the papers. I personally think if you guys are about to open the checkbook again, you should go get a higher quality SS or 2B and get rid of Cora one of your middle infielders. Hope all is well.

-Michael

Thanks, Michael, all is well here (thought not as well as it is in Atlanta, LOL)..

From what I've heard and read, it is Santana himself (along with Pelfrey) who are lobbying management to acquire a top-level pitcher for the stretch run. From what I've read, Santana was quoted as saying that he thought the Mets had what it takes to win right now, but that acquiring "an" ace (like Oswalt or Lee) would basically "push them over the top." I thought it was somewhat curious, too, when I read it, but I think Santana just wants to win and that he also realizes that he is not quite the elite pitcher he has been in the past so far this season, as the effects of his injury last season still seem to be lingering, or even affecting his mechanics. I don't believe, however, that the Mets will either a) have what it takes to trade for either of these players unless they part with major-league ready talent or b) want to give up that much to basically rent a player for a couple of months. Unless, of course, they can orchestrate a trade and sign deal for either pitcher...I think the Mets know that as well as Dickey and Niese have pitched of late, your chances are a lot better at advancing to the playoffs if you add another premiere pitcher to the rotation. My guess is that they will settle for a second-tier pitcher and give up a lot less to do it. The Mets don't have too much minor league talent depth, but they have done a good job at developing what players they have had, and the infield right now, consisting of Davis at 1B, Tejada at 2B, Reyes at SS and Wright at 3B is entirely homegrown.

• Options
    1-2

• Options
    Tim

That's the way I read it too.

'Another ace' Sorta like the Phillies used to do.

When they had money.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Higher quality shortstop?

ok.....

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I hate it when Mets fans are happy...

...and BTW, the New York Mint sucks.

• Options

<< <i>Higher quality shortstop?

ok.....

Steve >>

LOL. I said 2B and SS when I should have just said that they could add another middle infielder. I was referring to them finding a long-term solution @ 2B instead of the Cora / Tejada / Castillo platoon. Maybe Tejada is considered the heir-apparent, but I think a mid-season pick up of a more polished "ready-now" 2B would help the Mets accomplish the larger goal of winning a title this season. I think that would be a better investment toward a 2010 title than would be adding another top of the rotation pitcher. If Santana, Pelfrey, and Neise all throw twice in a 7-game series, I like their chances.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Mike

Cora may not be a big hitter but defensively he is not chopped liver.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I dislike the Mets. Just sayin.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    I dislike the Mets. Just sayin.

Dale Murphy sucks...just sayin'..

• Options
    Well the Mets are still in first place and.....oops.
  • Options
    Mets are rolling right now....playing great baseball and most of the bigf hits are coming from the home grown players, too.

• Options

<< <i>Mets are rolling right now....playing great baseball and most of the bigf hits are coming from the home grown players, too. >>

That 0.5 game lead has to be driving you crazy. The Mets could not be playing any better than they are currently and yet just can't get past that 0.5 game deficit. I can't wait for the next Braves/Mets series. Its going to be RIDICULOUS.

• Options
    I've got an important question for Mets fans:

When this season does the Mets swoon begin...you know, when do they start to choke?

Thank you for your courteous and informative replies.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure whatever jinx this thread created has been eviscerated by now...image

Who's have thunk the Met starting staff would be one of the best in baseball at this moment...

I see October baseball in Flushing...and sadly it doesn't involve the mercenary Phillies..

• Options

<< <i>I'm pretty sure whatever jinx this thread created has been eviscerated by now...image

Who's have thunk the Met starting staff would be one of the best in baseball at this moment...

I see October baseball in Flushing...and sadly it doesn't involve the mercenary Phillies.. >>

Could be a jinx that remains dormant for awhile and then activates on a certain date.
  • Options
    As long as I say the daily anti evil eye prayer in Italian no chance of the jinx.

En es stradda, e passada un ochio.......

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Hopefully the Mets don't continue playing .400 ball the rest of the way.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Takahashi sucks.

• Options
    I love it when Mets fans are unhappy.
  • Options
    Unhappy? As long as the Sillies are beneath them I'm a very happy camper.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Unhappy? As long as the Sillies are beneath them I'm a very happy camper.

Steve >>

Good point. My smack post may have been a bit hasty. image
  • Options
    4 and 7.......................

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    4 and 7.......................

Steve

Um, was this post made by Steve or SteveK? image

Steve, thanks, but we have enough Philly fans already on the board...

P.S. the record is 5-7 from June 19 through tonight...don't give away any wins, now...

• Options
    I love it when Mets fans are visciously attacking each other.

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Have I mentioned that I dislike the Mets?

Yes, I have.

Therefore, there is no need to mention it again.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Have I mentioned that the only way dale Murphy can get into the HOF is by buying a ticket?

I have, so no need to mention it again..

• Options
    Not sure what's worse... that this thread is jinxing the Mets? or that it's jinxing the Phillies worse? Either way it looks like a 3 team race all year, unless the Marlins or Nats sneak in.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure what's worse... that this thread is jinxing the Mets? or that it's jinxing the Phillies worse? Either way it looks like a 3 team race all year, unless the Marlins or Nats sneak in. >>

Phillies will have their chance at home vs. the Braves next Monday - Wednesday. We'll see if anyone other than Halladay throws a good game. Mets also have a chance to make a move as they get the Nats over the weekend.

• Options
    6-7

• Options
    Unless the Mets reach the playoffs, this thread will hereby always be considerd a jinx thread...and so it is written.
  • Options
    Stevek

Sorry to hear about C Utley.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure what's worse... that this thread is jinxing the Mets? or that it's jinxing the Phillies worse? Either way it looks like a 3 team race all year, unless the Marlins or Nats sneak in. >>

Phillies will have their chance at home vs. the Braves next Monday - Wednesday. We'll see if anyone other than Halladay throws a good game. Mets also have a chance to make a move as they get the Nats over the weekend. >>

Was actually thinking about the Utley injury. Utley is the Phillies key player,so we'll see how the Phillies replace him.