Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Colonials are the new super models of the coin collecting community"

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm doing some research for my next Numismatic History thread ( image ) and I ran across this quote from a post in 2006...and I almost laughed out loud!

What do you think?

I know I can draw comparisons between some colonials and Miranda Kerr or Claudia Schiffer or Gisele Bundchen...but maybe that's just me!

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some resemble Sandra Bernhard... but maybe that's just me! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I dont know about super models, most being weakly struck etc. but they are certainly more interesting then your standard coinage. Kind of like your astronaut brother in law.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I just don't understand the inclusion of the word "new" in this.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with CCU... I always thought they were of 'star' quality.... I am always enthralled by a chain cent or other early copper. One day I will have one. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't understand the inclusion of the word "new" in this. >>

I think "new" refers to the popularity of this series but I'm not sure their popularity is any greater or lesser than in the recent past.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't understand the inclusion of the word "new" in this. >>

An old supermodel would be kind of gross.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most colonial coins, with some unusual exceptions like the Virginia half penny, are in low grades and not that attractive from the preservation standpoint. Most of these coins have “faces that only a ‘mother’ (a dedicated colonial coin collector) could love.” I don’t see any super models here, and I don’t see any “spike” in “investor”/ speculator interest in them. The coins are simply not all “sexy” for non-collectors or even the vast majority of casual collectors.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OK, some of you are taking this thread waaaaayyy too seriously!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, some of you are taking this thread waaaaayyy too seriously!

image >>

Not me brother. Take a look at any old super model over 75 yrs old. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Not me brother. Take a look at any old super model over 75 yrs old."

For sure.... would not inspire a Playboy foldout.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    At least colonial dealers are not considered the new supermodels. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>At least colonial dealers are not considered the new supermodels. image >>

If I saw my dealer in a bikini, I don't think I could get over it.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought that colonial collectors wore lingerie while viewing their coins.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vintage Red at its finest

Ann-Margaret

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite the contrary. I think colonials are among the least likely series to be unnatural and enhanced by doctors.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Only if the supermodel is over 200 years old.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quite the contrary. I think colonials are among the least likely series to be unnatural and enhanced by doctors. >>

Does putting oil on them and then vigorously brushing them with a camel hair brush result in a natural unenhanced coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    image ...'cause it's funny!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "..I know I can draw comparisons between some colonials and Miranda Kerr or Claudia Schiffer or Gisele Bundchen...but maybe that's just me!"

Or Susan B. Anthony, or a run-down nag, or somebody's missing shirt button......image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    A guy once went out to visit a secluded Sheep Herder. The Sheep Herder was very isolated and hadn't seen a woman in a good long while. When the subject of women came up, the Sheep Herder quickly stood up and said" follow me I want to show you something". Upon arriving at a slightly human shaped boulder, the Herder asked " isn't she beautiful"?

Sometimes in extreme isolation, the mind grabs onto anything as a substitute for pleasant companionship.

Is it time for the Colonial Collector with Supermodel Coins to get out for an evening of fun? I think so.
  • Options

<< <i>A guy once went out to visit a secluded Sheep Herder. The Sheep Herder was very isolated and hadn't seen a woman in a good long while. When the subject of women came up, the Sheep Herder quickly stood up and said" follow me I want to show you something". Upon arriving at a slightly human shaped boulder, the Herder asked " isn't she beautiful"?

Sometimes in extreme isolation, the mind grabs onto anything as a substitute for pleasant companionship.

Is it time for the Colonial Collector with Supermodel Coins to get out for an evening of fun? I think so. >>

I used to have some colonial coins I thought were supermodels...

...maybe this is why my wife never liked going to coin shows with me! image
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see... models, wives, colonial coins, and rocks. There seems to be a theme developing for me. image

K
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as we have seen on here before, from Ambro, some look like babies with MAJOR problems. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file