Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1910-S Large S & Small S $20's

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bought in a small group of six 1910-S $20's, and noticed that two of them had a Large S and the other four a Small S. I am sure that this is no big deal, but could not find a listing of the different mint marks anywhere.

Does anybody know if this has been published before? If so, where please?

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mention of it in the Redbook Professional Edition. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may both be from the same punch but one die had the minkmark more heavily punched that the other die. Since the mintmark punch is usually tappered, the more heavily the mintmark is punched the larger it appears.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>They may both be from the same punch but one die had the minkmark more heavily punched that the other die. Since the mintmark punch is usually tappered, the more heavily the mintmark is punched the larger it appears. >>

You're kidding, right?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They may both be from the same punch but one die had the minkmark more heavily punched that the other die. Since the mintmark punch is usually tappered, the more heavily the mintmark is punched the larger it appears. >>

You're kidding, right? >>

No. I've read this in more in than one reference. If one die has the mintmark lightly punched and a second die has the mintmark heavily puched, coins struck from the first die will appear to have a smaller mintmark than coins struck from the second die especially if the mintmark punch is tapered. Naturally, if two different punches were used, that would be a different story. When are you going to show us some pics?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭

• Options
    Well, let's see if this works:

1910-S Large S
  • Options
    Good, it worked.
    I went through Heritage's fine website, and in the first 13 1910-S $20's I looked at there was only this one Large S. There may be more further back. All the others had the Small S mint mark, the same as found on a 1910-S cent.
    TD
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Cap, you may have discovered a new variety! If so, this could mean back to back Numismatist of the year awards! Reminds me of the early 90's, Chicago, and a guy named Mike.image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Isn't it a "1910-S VDB" double eagle?
  • Options

<< <i>Cap, you may have discovered a new variety! If so, this could mean back to back Numismatist of the year awards! Reminds me of the early 90's, Chicago, and a guy named Mike.image >>

I do know how to tell the difference between different mint mark punches.
  • Options
    Bump for the weekend crowd.
    Can anybody access the Bass collection records to see if he recorded it?

TD
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well i am here 2 years late but I can confirm the 2 mint mark sizes as I am looking at one of each as I write this. Large S and small s on the 1910 $20.

i have yet to find anything for the variety information.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file