Home Sports Talk

Any predictions on how Strasburg will do GAME 7 - 7/9 - vs Giants (Cain) !!!

swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
I got him going 6 1/3 giving up 3 hits and 1 run...

Nats win...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

Comments

• GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    5 ip
    4 hits
    0 runs
    5 k's

Unfortunately he'll be on a pitch limit.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Five innings, 5 hits, 4 walks, 4 runs, 4Ks.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'm watching the game right now.

I hope he lives up to the hype.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    as am I...

three up three down...

breaking ball had Lastings buckle at the knees...

nice inning kid...

I am hoping he does well...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Uh-oh. Inning 4 and normalcy is setting in.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He could be the next Mike Leake!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Not too bad so far with 11 Ks

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
    Looks like he might get the win now too as the Nationals just hit two homeruns in the 6th.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow... dude is on a roll now. I wish it was on TV here!
    The kid just struck out 7 in a row...and 8 of 9.

that's 14 Ks now.

Wow.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Pirates help, but sure looked like real deal, 14ks in 21 outs
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan just peed himself. image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nolan Ryan just peed himself. image >>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... GREAT response!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heckuva debut
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can certainly see him breaking the K record for a single game though..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>I can certainly see him breaking the K record for a single game though.. >>

+1
    I can certainly see him breaking the K record for a single game though.. >>

Certainly looks like he has the potential for just that but it requires luck as well. Note that Nolan doesn't have that record and he was the MAN when it came to Ks.

He came awfully close on more than one occasion, however...

If Strasburg was expected to hurl 300 IP a season like Ryan did in his day, I'd say he has at least an opportunity, but as you said, with the four-man rotation and pitch counts and the huge financial investment the Nats have in this prodigy, there's almost no way he'd record even 250 Ks in a season, IMO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Before I say this, I LOVE Nolan Ryan... not only does he hold the most career strikeouts (5714), he also holds the most career walks (2795), in 27 major league seasons.

Strasburg did all of that without giving up any walks! Granted, it's just one game, but MAN was that impressive today. Dude struck out the last seven batters in a row, and only needed six total pitches to strike the last two out. At a game where he should have been more nervous than pitching in a World Series game. I'll be saying "granted, it was just one game" all the way til Sunday. Insanity...
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    He's so good he could start a school called "The Steven Strasburg School of Method Pitching". image

<< <i>Let's all keep this in perspective. There is NO WAY he is going to keep up that kind of a strikeout rate as he settles into the league and hitters get used to him. And Ryan's records will be safe FOREVER as long as there are 5 man rotations. >>

I'm usually a skeptic in this situation, similar to the above comment, and of course the above comment may very well turn out to be right...but barring injury, this guy does appear to be something special...possibly one of those freak, once every hundred years type players. Yes, he could decline as noted, but the scary thing is he's only 21 and could get better.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Yeah he needs to only average 10Ks in his next 570 starts (570 divided by 35 starts a year) or around sometime in 2027 to break Nolan's record.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can certainly see him breaking the K record for a single game though.. >>

How about 27 straight K's? Is that a perfect perfect game?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's so good he could start a school called "The Steven Strasburg School of Method Pitching". image >>

+1 for acting reference!

Kid looked good, although I saw the inning he gave up two hits, and the next one he gave up the homer
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I think Strasburg handled himself very well in his first professional appearance even though new pitchers always have the advantage over the hitters. That's being said, Strasburg is nasty and will only get better and more experienced.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How about 27 straight K's? Is that a perfect perfect game? >>

It would be until the 27th batter swings at strike 3, it goes in the dirt, the Pudgy one throws it to 1st and the ump blows the S*%T out of the call!!! image
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Not a bad first game... WOW!
    Seems like a good guy in the post game interviews, newly married, and not full of himself like some of these young superstars - I think he may be a force to be reckoned with for many years - just wish he wasn't in the NL East.

<< <i>Kid looked good, although I saw the inning he gave up two hits, and the next one he gave up the homer >>

Did you happen to see that home run swing? It wasn't his normal swing by any means... he just flung the bat out there to try and make contact, and it landed in the front row (the fan threw the ball back). Granted, a home run is a home run, but he still looked stellar.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just wish he wasn't in the NL East. >>

Yeah your Sillies won't be beating the Nats 15 times a year any longer.

500 team here you come.

Steve
    Good for you.
    stay on topic...

7 innings, 10 K's, zero runs allowed...

- uncut

• NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭
    I know it's a couple innings in, but I'm going to say 6 2/3 innings, 11 Ks, 2 BBs, 2 ER
    1 hit and 8K's through 5 IP...this kid is the real deal!

• CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    He could break Cy Young's win record, Nolan Ryan's K record, Cal's streak, Rose's hit record, cure cancer, stop the oil spill, and create cold fusion and the poor chump that paid 17 large for one of his rookie cards would still lose money, however he did look good in that first game.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    he might break the walks record!!! at least the little hothead has an excuse, as they spent like 15min fixing the mound to his liking in only his 2nd start..... when you throw a whiffle ball up there, sometimes you get K's, other times you walk people. Not hurting that he's faced some weaker teams and Baltimore is coming up!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Being from Cleveland I also thought he was whinning about the mound....can't remember the last time a pitcher had to have the ground crew out TWICE to fix a mound.....what's next, have the mound redone each inning before he goes out?? Glad he heard some boos...wait until he pitches in NY or Philly and starts whinning about the mound.........he may turn out to be good but come on
    he might break the walks record!!!

He had zero walks in 7 IP in his first start so I wouldn't say that will necessarily be an issue.

2-0, 22 Ks in 12.1 IP...not a bad first couple of starts by any measure..

Based on the computerized strike Zone he should have had 3 more walks and 5 less K's against Pittsburgh. He had a huge strikezone to work with.

You have to remember that in the ML's the players have much better sense of the strike zone. You won't see them flailing when behind 0-2 in the count. Everybody is sitting dead red and adjusting to his change and slider.

When he is down in the zone with both off speed pitches he is very good. ML hitters can adjust very quickly and you saw him getting hit for 2 hrs on change ups already. Hitters will start figuring out his pitching patterns and pitch selections so we will see if he can keep mixing it up.

His slider was not working very well at all in the 3rd thru 5th innings. He tried very hard to fool some hitters instead of relying on his FB. He needs to remember its all set up off his FB.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    [iBased on the computerized strike Zone he should have had 3 more walks and 5 less K's against Pittsburgh. He had a huge strikezone to work with. ]

Geez, now we're going to dissect his performance by comparing it the the "computerized" strike zone? Good thing they didn't have that when maddux and glavine were with Atl, or when Halladay threw his perfect game..

It just shows that he wasn't as in the zone as much as his K's showed in game 1. I was pointing out the fact with a different ump and strike zone his BB rate was likely to go up. The commentators acted like it was shocking for him to walk so many people.

His walk rate is going to go up as long as he uses his slider like he is. In the minors the hitters cant adjust to the breaking pitches like they can in the ML's. For the most part from the 3rd to the 6th inning they were laying off the offspeed stuff unless it was in the zone. He missed badly on some pitches in all 3 innings.

If he relys more on his fastball early in the count he can be more effective.

The guy has great stuff, but its not that much different than say Verlander or even Brian Wilson. I just hated to have to watch Costas with his mouthfull of Strasburger during that 1st game. It was a disgrace. I know the league wants the next Koufax, and fine but Lincecum and Ubaldo are pretty good too I don't see why we have to make Strasburgh into Baseball Jesus.
    I dont know who is worse...Bob Costas or Rob Dibble...

anyway - it is nice to get the MASN station here in PA -

- uncut

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for changing the title of the original thread! Though he had another 11 strikeouts before I noticed image
    7 innings

9 SO

2 ER

win - 3- 0...

- uncut

• I think it's actually kind of sad that we have a 2 day stretch with an NBA Finals game 7 and a USA World Cup soccer match but I have been more excited about watching Strasburg pitch an otherwise meaningless regular season game.

I think he has a no-hitter in him this season. Would be awesome to watch the hype just explode if that happened.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I think we'll see another solid outing from Strasburg today. It should be somewhere in between his 2 previous performances, but I think he goes into the 7th inning. He should end up with another win or mabye a no decision.

brian
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    shouldn't have too much trouble with the free swinging Sox... just lay off the walks!! That's D-Train's job tonight!!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    he pitched better than he did against the INdians.....does anyone know if he had any problems with the mound??? funny thing another pitcher complained about the mound this week in Cleveland from the Mets....guess the NL's are more picky about the mounds....
    Will get to 3 - 0

as long as the Nats get some runs...

- uncut

• kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    For the record, KC leads the MAJORS in batting average and has the second-fewest strikeouts.
    Travis
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Royals 1, Nats 0.

I suspect that Strasburg will see a few more of those before the season's out.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with great pitchers is that their own team relaxes and the other team brings their A game. No run support for the young flame thrower.