Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If PCGS flat out loses the case...

ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
If PCGS flat out loses the case, what would be the end result?
There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    They've already won by naming who the coin doctors are. If they lose, the docs have been named and outed. Their business is ruined.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PCGS loses its suit, I don't think numismatics would be any worse than it was pre-lawsuit. Anyone who buys four figure or more expensive coins is -- or should be -- aware of coin doctoring issues, what to look for, which dealers should be avoided, etc. In OP's scenario, coin doctors could continue to ply their trade.

If they get lucky, their work will be slabbed, sold, and they'll make money. If the coin goes bad later, the TPGs would be on the hook to reimburse the unlucky holder of such coin. The coin doctor walks away. If the doctoring attempt is not successful, the coin in question doesn't get holdered.

Ie., nothing would change. If the TPGs get stuck with too many bad coins, their guarantees will become more restrictive. We are already seeing this with RD copper. We are also seeing toned coins which if ithey aren't universally accepted as being NT, are being bagged.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElContador summed it up perfectly.... I agree..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with ElContador. The major coin doctors are widely known within the dealer community, and there are dealers who do work with the docs for a cut of the profits.
    If the docs win, it will be business as usual.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

<< <i>They've already won by naming who the coin doctors are. If they lose, the docs have been named and outed. Their business is ruined. >>

Maybe I missed it but how many people are named in the suit and have their names been released...?

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumb question - have the coin doctors been posted here or can they not do that? providing the case has been settled of course
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<<Maybe I missed it but how many people are named in the suit and have their names been released...?>>>

Yes Inquiring minds want to know
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I thought the names were not released in the lawsuit? >>

Read the complaint again, then.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Doe is yet to be named, but he's a doctor.
  • Options

<< <i>

Read the complaint again, then. >>

Guess I missed that as well, got a link...?

My Ebay Auctions

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They've already won by naming who the coin doctors are. If they lose, the docs have been named and outed. Their business is ruined. >>

But if P.C.G.S loses. I can see a counter suit for all the dealers that are involved. it's going to be a big mess. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>

Read the complaint again, then. >>

Guess I missed that as well, got a link...? >>

From coinlink.com: see here
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read the entire complaint with the list of example coins that have been doctored. Sounds like most of it was laser and putty work. Gold coins and Stading Quarters accounted for most of the examples. It sounds like putty was used to cover up surface imperfections on gold coins and some how heads were built up on Standing Quarters to give them a full head designation.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

Thanks Mark...

A good read, very crafty naming 10 unknowns...

I'm sure they will not have a problem proving damages against the 6 named..

They probably have compiling evidence where only 60/40 ( or so ) evidence is needed...

The other 10 to be announced will be interesting...

My Ebay Auctions

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭

<< <i>I just read the entire complaint with the list of example coins that have been doctored. Sounds like most of it was laser and putty work. Gold coins and Stading Quarters accounted for most of the examples. It sounds like putty was used to cover up surface imperfections on gold coins and some how heads were built up on Standing Quarters to give them a full head designation. >>

Movement of metal is probably the most egregious of all coin doctoring and the intent can merge into counterfeiting. PCGS is probably wise to go that route first.

TRUTH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file