Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just picked up a fairly sizeable collection, would like some thoughts.

Got a 5000 count box of all 50's and early 60's stuff yesterday. 80-90% complete sets of 56, 57, and 58 Topps, with some good star power, the rest is 51 to 62. Condition is all over the map, from low grade to EX-Mt and some better probably.

Here's the deal, though. I don't have the time I normally would to break this down and parse it out. I'd like to sell it all - or most of it - in one fell swoop. I got it cheap so someone who has the time to do what I normally do can make some money on it, what would be the best way or options to go about selling it?

The Beckett value on the entire box is a little over $52,000. So it ain't baked potatoes in there. image
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ron -- what about lots per year? or partial set sales?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Partial set sales are one option for sure. In the past I've done fairly well even on Ebay with partial sets as long as there are stars and it's fairly close to complete. The 56, 57, and 58 sets are somewhere between 80 and 90% complete, I haven't done an exact count yet, PLUS there are several hundred duplicates in each year.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nice pickup - anything worth cherry picking for yourself?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Do you have any scans?
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Mike -

I pulled about 15-20 commons from 1960 that were really clean. That was it in that box. I did buy a 2nd box with it of late 60's stuff I'm still going through. Nothing else I wanted/needed, and wasn't in the market to buy but as we all know there's a price where we'll pull the trigger anyway.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    send me a pm with a price, I'm so busy with my job I don't need to buy it but you know me. image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do know the feeling.

It is a tougher time to do a quick flip these days - but those are good years. Am sure you can chunk it out into 5-6 lots pretty well here for a decent flip. Time is money too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Why not just hang on to the stuff until you DO have the time to do what you normally would do, and maximize your profit?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize I popped on to the BST forum by accident. I am going to go look for the forum I usually read where people aren't selling stuff.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    the rules dont apply to some...

you already knew that though...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what would be the best way or options to go about selling it? >>

He's asking for opinions on HOW to sell it...
  • Options
    I see the board is improving, made it through several helpful replies before the douchebags appeared.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i love baked potatoes. image
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see the board is improving, made it through several helpful replies before the douchebags appeared. >>

Archived!

And I'm sure I can sue somebody over something as well. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    This thread has potential.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    list it on ebay with a BIN of 1 trillion dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not just hang on to the stuff until you DO have the time to do what you normally would do, and maximize your profit? >>

That's what I was thinking. Exactly how many years are you predicting your time is going to be such a scarce resource?

If not complete sets, larger lots will sell best organized by year and condition with higher priced cards included. But it should be easy enough to estimate hourly earnings by each route. Then compare them to how else you would spend your time, both now and in the upcoming months and years
    Tom
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I'll give you $1 for it so we can all move on!