Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

T206 Honus Wagner Uncut Proof Strip

Dont know if anyone caught the FSN Phillies vs. Pirates last nite...

During the game they were talking about this strip (which is in an SGC holder now)

and soon to be auctioned off (I think Hunt?) - after it makes its rounds at the ballparks...

Article

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    very cool. would it bring more cut and graded by beckett or cut and slabbed authentic by PSA? That is, if it were cut.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭✭
    That thing has been recycled in the auction circuit for years.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Like Mickey said, its been sold many times in the past.....

rumored to once be owned by Wagner too.

Here is an older scan of it I have on my site

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Given that it is the only known uncut T206 in existence, and given that it has the hobby's most important card on it, it is intriguing that it has been recycled so often over the last fifteen years.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    a lot of people buying things in the last 15 years with money that isn't really real.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    not a bad lineup- 3 HOFers, and a prominent star of the era. It is a bit curious it gets flipped so often.
    Anyone have the previous sales #'s handy?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Marc is intrigued and Anthony is curious....fascinating image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Marc is intrigued and Anthony is curious....fascinating image >>

Marc is intrigued, Anthony is curious, and Al is fascinated...........Amazing.

Sorry, I just wanted to play too. image
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a lot of people buying things in the last 15 years with money that isn't really real. >>

So your saying people are buying items with counterfeit money?
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>a lot of people buying things in the last 15 years with money that isn't really real. >>

So your saying people are buying items with counterfeit money? >>

Every piece of "money" in your pocket right now is counterfeit. Read the United States constitution. All debts shall be paid in gold and silver. Our money system has been bogus since 1971, when Nixon took us off the gold standard. Did you know that the entity responsible for creating money isnt even government owned? The Federal Reserve is a privately owned company that prints up money, and loans it to the U.S. government at the prevailing interest rate. Its a total and complete scam...but wont be for much longer.image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Every piece of "money" in your pocket right now is counterfeit. Read the United States constitution. All debts shall be paid in gold and silver. Our money system has been bogus since 1971, when Nixon took us off the gold standard. Did you know that the entity responsible for creating money isnt even government owned? The Federal Reserve is a privately owned company that prints up money, and loans it to the U.S. government at the prevailing interest rate. Its a total and complete scam...but wont be for much longer.image >>

<< <i> So long fellas! It has been said that all people bring happiness...some by arriving, and others by leaving. I wanted to say thanks to those who have truly supported my short stay here. I had a great amount of excitement and fun while it lasted. >>

Wait, doesn't this board deserve the same happiness you gave 54?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Halper had it in the 1990s and it sold as part of Sotheby's big sale of his stuff. He supposedly had it since the 1970s. I think the story was that it was found in the pants pocket of a Wagner uniform [you can't make that stuff up!]

Verkman bought it from Sotheby's, and flipped it in his auction about a year or so later, for a ~10% profit, plus lots of free publicity. I think ShopAtHome bought it and made it a contest winning.

Mastro sold it again two years later -- probably because the SAH winners had no interest in paying tens of thousands in taxes to keep the strip.

Leland's had it a few years later, where it was auctioned, but did not meet whatever crazy reserve it had on it.

It sure does seem like there is a story that someone isn't telling -- and I am fascinated, intrigued, curious and slightly perplexed.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    For those keeping score at home

Marc is fascinated, intrigued, curious and slightly perplexed. , Anthony is curious, Al is fascinated, Nick is apologetic AND amazed.

Marc, got any numbers on those sales?

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    If that WAGNER was in ONE position to the right ... man, that strip would be EXTRA nice!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I seem to remember there was one point in time where Mr. Mint was doing the card show circuit and that was the only thing in his case with a $1,000,000 pricetag on it.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the story was that the strip was found in Wagner's attic (perhaps in a uniform pocket as Marc said). Either way, I too am surprised it has changed hands so many times over the years. Wagners always command crazy prices, and this is a one-of-a-kind item. Seems like it would be a good investment for the right price. New whales come along in the hobby every few years. Could possibly be turned for a lot more to one of them down the road.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Gecko is a fool
    Anthony-

No clue what Halper paid for it in the 1970s.
    At Sotheby's, it sold for $85K to Verkman
    Clean Sweep sold it for $95K to Shop at Home
    MastroNet sold it for $79K in 2002. [yes, that's right, the price of a Wagner went down by 18%]
    In the Leland's auction, it failed to meet reserve at $300k.

One other note, when Halper sold his, the starting bid was $60k. I forget what Sotheby's buyer's premium was at the time, but it pretty much suggests that there were only 2-3 bidders [including Verkman] going after the strip.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    the gentlemen on FSN last nite, claimed it had an estimated value of $250,000.00

and would be auctioned soon...

it is also in an SGC holder now...

sorry if I offended the first couple posters with something they already knew about...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Every piece of "money" in your pocket right now is counterfeit. Read the United States constitution. All debts shall be paid in gold and silver. Our money system has been bogus since 1971, when Nixon took us off the gold standard. Did you know that the entity responsible for creating money isnt even government owned? The Federal Reserve is a privately owned company that prints up money, and loans it to the U.S. government at the prevailing interest rate. Its a total and complete scam...but wont be for much longer.image >>

Oh God not another one of you guys. My in-laws are anti the Federal Reserve. They brought me over a shirt this last weekend that says End the Fed (and they expect me to wear it).
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh God not another one of you guys. My in-laws are anti the Federal Reserve. They brought me over a shirt this last weekend that says End the Fed (and they expect me to wear it). >>

Keep your head in the sand if it helps you to sleep better. Do some research on inflation in this country from 1700-Present if you want an eye opening experience!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh God not another one of you guys. My in-laws are anti the Federal Reserve. They brought me over a shirt this last weekend that says End the Fed (and they expect me to wear it). >>

Keep your head in the sand if it helps you to sleep better. Do some research on inflation in this country from 1700-Present if you want an eye opening experience! >>

It is my belief that Anthony is pretty much at the bottom of most conspiracies that I know about

Al
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's always cool to see this pic every now and then...sorta like that pic of the 1952 Topps display from 1952, I don't get tired of looking at it for some reason. LOL
    Al, yes, but only as entertainment to make nut jobs like our reptilian friend crazy.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    toobad the creases aren't in the bowerman

can't wait to see what it go's for
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Anthony---the front page of today's WSJ has an article on runaway inflation.

Was in Australia last year and saw some ostrich. Ate some too. Good. Tastes like beef, not chicken

Al
    I saw a bunch in South Africa. Rode one as well, until eventually it threw me off.
    We get ostrich here all the time, a bit tough. Probably from sticking their heads in the sand all the time.