Home Precious Metals

Congratulations to gold - New all time highs! $2625+!!!

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm wrong (I'm no expert!) blitzdude, but the chart you posted looks to me to back up what @derryb said?

The higher the dollar index, meaning a stronger dollar? the lower the gold price. It takes less dollars to buy the same amount of gold.

The higher the gold price, the lower the index? Meaning it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of gold.

Wish I WAS an expert so I could better understand these things...

----- kj
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Maybe I'm wrong (I'm no expert!) blitzdude, but the chart you posted looks to me to back up what @derryb said?

The higher the dollar index, meaning a stronger dollar? the lower the gold price. It takes less dollars to buy the same amount of gold.

The higher the gold price, the lower the index? Meaning it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of gold.

Wish I WAS an expert so I could better understand these things...

The dollar index today is pretty much where it was in 2000. Gold in 2000 was $280 an ounce, today it's $2500. Personally, I like both gold and dollars. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

But when @derryb says “Gold is a measurement of the dollar” I believe he is simply saying that over time, as gold goes up, the purchasing power of the dollar goes down. Over a short time frame, there is a lot of variability, but over the long term, I think we all agree with this.

Higashiyama

Everything goes "up" over time (well except gutter metal) this would also include the number of $$$ in my pocket. THKS!

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 10:54AM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    Gold up $55 to $2,547 today.

$3,000 by 2030....$5,000 by 2035. PTs could be too low but will hold them for now. :)

Gold is a measurement of the dollar. The more dollars it takes to buy gold the less value in the dollar. If you own more dollars than you do gold you should not be wishing for new gold highs, it only reflects new dollar lows. Unfortunately there is no turning back on dollar devaluation. Convert your dollars into dollar insurance.

Wrong

RGDS!

Comparing absolute values of an index to a price is apples and oranges.
    For those of use who are ignorant, what does the acronym RGDS stand for?

edited August 18, 2024 11:07AM

@ProofCollection said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

$3,000 by 2030....$5,000 by 2035. PTs could be too low but will hold them for now. :)

Gold is a measurement of the dollar. The more dollars it takes to buy gold the less value in the dollar. If you own more dollars than you do gold you should not be wishing for new gold highs, it only reflects new dollar lows. Unfortunately there is no turning back on dollar devaluation. Convert your dollars into dollar insurance.

Wrong

RGDS!

Comparing absolute values of an index to a price is apples and oranges.
    For those of use who are ignorant, what does the acronym RGDS stand for?

So according to Derrby my dollar today has more purchasing power then it did in 2011, 1980 etc. At least in relations to the metal of kings? THKS!

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 1:18PM

A chart of gold vs the dollar index would show the same ratio today as in 2011

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

" For those of use who are ignorant, what does the acronym RGDS stand for? "

I think RGDS! stands for Really Greatly Dislikes Silver!?? ;):o

----- kj

Don't we all just love statistices? We can show just about anything we want with enough selective criteria and time spans...

----- kj

@tincup said:

Don't we all just love statistices? We can show just about anything we want with enough selective criteria and time spans...

Yep, our end of the world, destroy America cheerleaders post their statistics here at least 20x per day. THKS!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 6:48PM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

Wrong

RGDS!

FALSE.

You apparently don't know that the "US Dollar Index" is a measurement of the dollar compared to other currencies. Those other currencies have been even weaker than the dollar. All of the currencies have lost purchasing power in everything except some of the other currencies.

Aside from some volatility (especially with silver), gold and silver have generally maintained their purchasing power while the US Dollar and the currencies in the Dollar Index have not (inflation).

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comparing the dollar index of fiat currencies to gold pricing is apples to oranges. derryb is correct. Try harder.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 11:24PM

@blitzdude said:

The dollar index today is pretty much where it was in 2000. Gold in 2000 was $280 an ounce, today it's $2500. Personally, I like both gold and dollars. RGDS!

Gold price is not dictated by the dollar index - the index has nothing to do with the price of gold. The dollar index (DXY) is simply a measure of how the dollar fairs against the individual currencies that make up the DXY index (currency basket). There can be a strong dollar against any one of those currencies with both currencies being in the crapper - something that has been occurring for decades.

In the US, the gold price is dictated by the VALUE (purchasing power) of the dollar. As the value of the dollar goes down the price of gold in dollars goes up. The dollar is backed by nothing but faith - faith that the party in the next transaction will not only accept dollars but will accept them near the value they were when the current holder accepted them. As that new value becomes lesser and lesser, the price of gold goes higher and higher.

Gold is the only REAL measuring stick for the determining the value of a MAKE BELIEVE form of money. This is what is meant by "gold is real money."

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Futures officially breaking $2550 this morning. Dollar weakness could push gold to $2700 I'm thinking.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold never goes up during the summer, this is very worrisome

@coinpalice said:

Tend to think so also... for quite some time, things tended to be quiet during the summer.... the summer doldrums. Not so for gold this summer.

----- kj
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the upcoming event on Tuesday night, and the possible repercussions from that, will go a long way in trying to successfully determine how to proceed with gold and gold coins for investment purposes.

@stevek said:
    In my opinion, the upcoming event on Tuesday night, and the possible repercussions from that, will go a long way in trying to successfully determine how to proceed with gold and gold coins for investment purposes.

Why? What drives gold price and has either candidate proven the ability to stunt those influences?

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Why? What drives gold price and has either candidate proven the ability to stunt those influences?

In times of societal stability, gold probably isn't a good investment versus other investment opportunities. In times of societal instability, gold can outpace other forms of investment.

Of course a lot of different factors in play here. In times of horrific instability, such as nuclear war, it's been said that a bar of gold wouldn't buy a book of matches. A gold coin in mint condition wouldn't buy an apple.

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

In times of societal stability, gold probably isn't a good investment versus other investment opportunities. In times of societal instability, gold can outpace other forms of investment.

Of course a lot of different factors in play here. In times of horrific instability, such as nuclear war, it's been said that a bar of gold wouldn't buy a book of matches. A gold coin in mint condition wouldn't buy an apple.

Are expecting societal instability depending the outcome of the election? What would that instability look like?

And yes, to one who is thirsty an ounce of gold may have no value.

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Are expecting societal instability depending the outcome of the election? What would that instability look like?

Of course it's uncharted waters. That being said, if I was fortunate enough to survive a nuclear holocaust, and there was no other human life to be found, and so everything was abandoned. Yes I'd have to worry each day about how to get my next meal. But since all the banks with safe deposit boxes, coin shops, etc, would be abandoned, I'd be free to just walk in there and take whatever I wanted. It sure would greatly improve my coin collection. 😎

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Of course it's uncharted waters. That being said, if I was fortunate enough to survive a nuclear holocaust, and there was no other human life to be found, and so everything was abandoned. Yes I'd have to worry each day about how to get my next meal. But since all the banks with safe deposit boxes, coin shops, etc, would be abandoned, I'd be free to just walk in there and take whatever I wanted. It sure would greatly improve my coin collection. 😎

Man this place gets stranger by the day. THKS!

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

You ain't seen nothing yet if something terribly bad happens in November.

Let's hope not. 😉

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

The result, or the reaction to the result, of the election would be bad?

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

You seem to be the only one obsessed about November. My prediction? Business as usual. RGDS!

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

You seem to be the only one obsessed about November. My prediction? Business as usual. RGDS!

I suspect there is great angst toward November. The crafters of fear-mongering are perfecting their skills. However, like you, I believe the sun will rise, folk will go to work, and this forum will continue to debate the same stuff we have for the last 2 decades.

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

You're right, I am "obsessed" with obvious cause and effect.

For example when a tornado strikes a house, it usually causes irreparable damage.

i currently don't own a lot of gold. However if that tornado hits, I will be buying a helluva lot more.

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

For example when a tornado strikes a house, it usually causes irreparable damage.

i currently don't own a lot of gold. However if that tornado hits, I will be buying a helluva lot more.

Perhaps one with your beliefs would be better off constructing a bunker instead of purchasing the Metal of Kings? RGDS!

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

Perhaps one with your beliefs would be better off constructing a bunker instead of purchasing the Metal of Kings? RGDS!

I'm hopeful for a good weather report, which I believe will happen. 😊

edited September 8, 2024 10:10AM

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

But to someone who has an abundance of water, gold is probably the optimal medium of exchange if you want some of it.

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

A house is very easily repaired or rebuilt.

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

Well let us know what happens. :roll THKS!

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

@cohodk said:

@stevek said:

Let's hope not. 😉

Well let us know what happens. :roll THKS!

Nope, not on this forum...but don't worry, you'll know. 😉

BTW - press the Microsoft window key along with the period key, and you'll enjoy a world of emojis. You won't have to type them out any longer.

For example 🙄

You're welcome.

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

It's often done that. You must have slept through some of those years. :)

edited September 10, 2024 7:28AM

First China, now Russia pushing gold prices higher.

"According to Russian news agency Interfax, the government will increase its gold purchases from 1.12 billion rubles per day to 8.2 billion rubles per day for the next month."

Of course this is incomprehensible to the few here who cannot accept the fact that these are two major economic powerhouses and, through their conditioned minds, can only see them as da boogieman. LOL

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

According to a Russian news agency.....

ROFLMAO!!!

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2024 12:04AM

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

Vlad is putting out propaganda that he can back rubles with gold or his ruble is inflating away so fast and he needs the real cash? The thing is Russia produces enough he could do it but is he? They produce 300 metric tons a year.

edited September 10, 2024 10:28PM

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

Youre the one who keeps touting them as a threat so it looks like YOUR Boogeyman. Stop projecting.

Russia is a failed state. It has resources that rival the US and Canada an is 9th in population. Yet is has a GDP less than New York state and ranks 65th in per capita GDP. It has potential to be an economic powerhouse and China would love to annex everything east of the Urals. Russia won't even exist in 50 years.

ROFLMAO!!!

No different than CNN, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS. LOL!

I knew it would happen.
    edited September 11, 2024 5:12AM

@jmski52 said:

ROFLMAO!!!

No different than CNN, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS. LOL!

No different? Really?

I think you meant no different than X and Rumble and Youtube.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/social-media-platforms-leave-alleged-russian-influence-network-largely-untouched-2024-09-06/

https://apnews.com/article/russian-interference-presidential-election-influencers-trump-999435273dd39edf7468c6aa34fad5dd

ROTFLMAO!!+

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

Youre the one who keeps touting them as a threat so it looks like YOUR Boogeyman. Stop projecting.

Russia is a failed state. It has resources that rival the US and Canada an is 9th in population. Yet is has a GDP less than New York state and ranks 65th in per capita GDP. It has potential to be an economic powerhouse and China would love to annex everything east of the Urals. Russia won't even exist in 50 years.

Russia is a nuclear threat, thanks to the western warmongers. It has the world's 8th largest economy and its active role in BRICS has been destroying world demand for US dollars and US debt. So yes they are a threat to the US in numerous ways.

No different? Really?

So, you're trying to say that when dozens of news programs all report the same story using the same words, the same exact phrases and all voice the same exact opinions - that they aren't part of the same programming by the same group of planners?

Wake up.

I knew it would happen.
    edited September 11, 2024 8:51AM

@jmski52 said:
    No different? Really?

So, you're trying to say that when dozens of news programs all report the same story using the same words, the same exact phrases and all voice the same exact opinions - that they aren't part of the same programming by the same group of planners?

It's easier and cheaper to print press releases than behaving like an actual journalist who investigates and reports the facts that they find. This is why on-line, non-mainstream journalists develop such a loyal following. Simply a matter of time before they too sell out. I currently find Matt Taibbi to be one of the reliable holdouts.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

Russia is a nuclear threat, thanks to the western warmongers. It has the world's 8th largest economy and its active role in BRICS has been destroying world demand for US dollars and US debt. So yes they are a threat to the US in numerous ways.

They wouldn't use nukes and are tiny in global monetary terms. Only a threat for those who are afraid.

edited September 11, 2024 10:35AM

@jmski52 said:
    No different? Really?

Wake up.

That's funny because I hear the same catch phrases you use on various social media platforms in various topics. Cult members are easily recognizable because they all repeat the same exact narrative, word for word.

Wake up and stop accepting others' opinions as fact.

Oh shoot....my dog just got out. I gotta go catch it before it gets eaten. ROTFLMAO!!!

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

They wouldn't use nukes

I forgot that you were also a military strategist. Let's hope, that like on most other things, you are once again wrong.

" Wake up and stop accepting others' opinions as fact. "

Including your opinions?

----- kj

@tincup said:
    " Wake up and stop accepting others' opinions as fact. "

Including your opinions?

If you wish.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

They wouldn't use nukes

I forgot that you were also a military strategist. Let's hope, that like on most other things, you are once again wrong.

So you want to Russia to use nukes? Again, you've proven where your loyalties stand.

Unless that was just a Freudian slip, and you know I am most always right.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

ROFLMAO!!!

da boogieman? LOL

They wouldn't use nukes

So you want to Russia to use nukes? Again, you've proven where your loyalties stand.

Unless that was just a Freudian slip, and you know I am most always right.

misquoting and misdirecting as usual. It has become your standard MO. I served 30+ years with the US Dept of Defense both in a gun toting uniform and as a civilian. What have you done for your country other than complain and pay your required taxes? Just because I, unlike you, study and understand our adversaries does not make me one of them - It simply makes me smarter than you. Your narcissism apparently has no ceiling.