Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Think this Texas Commem has a shot at a 67+ ?

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell lustre on that coin, scanned?

To be 67, it better have lustre up the wazoo
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't tell lustre on that coin, scanned?

To be 67, it better have lustre up the wazoo >>

What he said
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it has the luster factor and is already a 7. It's the only coin I have that may plus, but not sure.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the central obverse cap, hair, cheek, chin, breast, wrist, knee, shin... IMHO it's maxed out.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    No idea about a + or not but it is a beautiful piece.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Nothing about the coin's appearance makes me think it is a just-miss MS68, so my answer is no.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing about the coin's appearance makes me think it is a just-miss MS68, so my answer is no. >>

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, no.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure what to reply about the coin as I don't know enough of what makes a "+" a "+".

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasn't sure what to reply about the coin as I don't know enough of what makes a "+" a "+". >>

What was said. A "+" means a just-miss 68 in this case. That means for this coin, a ka-pow, even strike, right off the die, with all the detail dazzlingly clear (the obv here is too weak) and booming luster.

That's not to say that's not a VERY nice 67, and nothing to be ashamed of! image

And kimber's smart to check out things like this before submitting (unlike smoe people...), until you get a feel for what PCGS is after here.
  • Options
    Thanks dpoole.

In that case then and based of the pics I'd say no, it wouldn't "+". It's a very interesting Texas Commem though. It's very mark-free and parts of it look to have incredible detail yet there seems to be some softness on the highest of points.

Nice coin... Congrats.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO no. It's been dipped and that takes it out of the MS-67 category with out question. Beyond that Ms. Texas' knee is not all that great for a super hight grade piece.

To get an MS-67 a Texas has to walk on water. Below that the coin can have a surf board or two. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>IMO no. It's been dipped and that takes it out of the MS-67 category with out question. Beyond that Ms. Texas' knee is not all that great for a super hight grade piece.

To get an MS-67 a Texas has to walk on water. Below that the coin can have a surf board or two. image >>

Bill, the OP stated that it's already graded MS67. He was asking about a 67+
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's the holder or photo, there's a few minor marks on the obverse. Really nice coin, but probably short of a +. Enjoy it in the holder it's in.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally feel that since most good coins are already graded, the new + is just a way to get them recycled through the TPG. If the coin is strong for its grade, let the coin speak for itself, that's what the clear plastic is for. JMHO

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a very nice specimen, and appears to be aptly graded. I would keep it where it is - likely a waste of funds to attempt the upgrade. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I don't usually do toners...

these are a 64, 65, and a 66, for comparison. Guess the order.

They are sequentially numbered, in PCGS plastic. I couldn't pass.

Thanks, Mike, @ Whitlow's.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin but no...........
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    I have no experience with the + thing but would say..
    if that coin were cracked out and sent in again i would bet
    ya it would not come back in a 67 holder..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options

<< <i>I don't usually do toners...

these are a 64, 65, and a 66, for comparison. Guess the order.

Thanks, Mike, @ Whitlow's. >>

Great looking set !!! image

I can't really tell which is which from the pics but if I had to guess I'd say from left to right the grades are 64, 66, 65.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Guess the order.

>>

I'm going with 65, 64, 66

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file