Home Precious Metals
Options

will there be a dip in silver

any time soon? what do you think? and how low will it be?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought a bunch of silver so it'll probably dip.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just bought a bunch of silver so it'll probably dip.image >>

That makes 2 of us.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respectfully disagree with Perry and OPA. I have not bought any silver recently, so it will continue to rise.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just offered some stuff to Gecko, so it should go up $10-$12 per ounce right after he buys it!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That makes 2 of us. >>

3 image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Silver is up $0.06. How long before you feel good about your recent purchases?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's always going to be a dip

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I just offered some stuff to Gecko, so it should go up $10-$12 per ounce right after he buys it!!!

image >>

And I just accepted the offer, so here comes the big diparoo!!!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
    GGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take 'er down!!!!!
    Dive!
    Dive!
    Dive!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I REALLY need it to...I've only been able to pick up about 20% of what we need for the metal detecting club when September rolls around. Looking ugly this year.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver drops 30% or more every year. It did so in January. Maybe it will agian. Right now it looks like its in a big hurry to go nowhere.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only one undisputed fact, PM's will go up and down.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After I convert some of my overpriced gold into silver, that's when.
  • Options
    Silver seems not to be in lockstep with gold these days. Although I've always considered both gold and silver as monetary metals, they sometimes react differently due to silver's industrial aspects. Maybe I'm the one who is looking at it incorrectly, but there are times when I think that you just can't have too much silver, and I don't recall ever thinking that about gold. Still, gold is slightly up today and silver is slightly off. The G/S Ratio is currently 64.83. What is that telling me? Historically silver would be drastically underpriced relative to gold at that ratio, correct?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told you so!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Silver seems not to be in lockstep with gold these days. ....... The G/S Ratio is currently 64.83. ... Historically silver would be drastically underpriced relative to gold at that ratio, correct? >>

This is true. But the 16 to 1 days are long gone as they were untenable even in the 1800's. That's why we have so many silver dollars from that era as the gov't tried to coin all the silver being mined then in the American west. Now they seem to be doing a heckuva job minting ASEs and peddling them in the mid-$20's (about 50:1) range so that sort of suggests to me that's where silver's price is going to find its home. In the range where people are eagerly buying it. Perhaps a skosh higher, to the $30 ( that would be 40:1) level, but that seems like stretching it to me.
    Of course none of that allows for inflation over the next say, 10 years. That's a whole 'nuther issue so just one WAG at a time.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    Gold/Silver ratio since 1980.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The G/S Ratio is currently 64.83. What is that telling me? Historically silver would be drastically underpriced relative to gold at that ratio, correct?

GSR is currently trending up in a pullback that began at the start of April following completion of 5 legs down that began in Feb. GSR tends to somewhat follow interest rates, in particular a ratio of long term to short term rates (such as 5yr:2yr or 10:2). Considering the 5:1 is trying to come off an "oversold" condition, GSR can rise for some time. It's telling me that gold will outperform silver for a while. But it doesn't tell us if there will be a dip or a rise in the process. The ratio itself can be somewhat misleading short term....only the directional trend (up/down) and the strength of that trend really matters.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Roadrunner,

Do you think the chart I posted above has the look of a major double bottom? Perhaps we are beignning to make a series of higher highs and higher lows? Maybe the downtrend from 1991 has been broken?