Home Precious Metals

Does toning affect the value or desirability of silver bars?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking of older poured bars that may have some collector value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Comments

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I would say yes but in a negative way. 10oz JM bars seem frequently turn nearly black and to me lose their premium. On vintage art bars people like them white and scratch free.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay absolutely 0, or negative, premium for a toned bar.....any oz.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what other people would pay, but I think attractive toning is cool, and have before, and might in the future pay a premium for it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I asked this question, I was thinking of light to medium toning that would probably dip off rather than black toning.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Silver bars are way too easy to AT for me to care about a premium for colors and too easy to dip for me to care about blast white. It's just silver to me.
    imageRIP
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like toning, but do not consider it important either way.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd pay a premium for it. But I'd probably pick an attractively toned bar over a non toned bar (or an ugly toned bar), all else being equal.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't bother me unless there's enough of it to throw the weight off.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like mine white and proof like with a mirror surface and would never pay a premium for toned bars. Most tarnished bars that I've run across are not attractive, especially the ones still in their original sealed 25+ year old cellophane or plastic wrappers. ( I suppose some people like deep purple almost black toned bars)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Apparently this seller thinks toning demands a premium on this bar
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I always smile whenever Jester posts that pic of the 5 kilo.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jester...great looking wildlife bars, but I'd have preferred a silver instead of bluish grass and in time, deep dark purple grass.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always smile whenever Jester posts that pic of the 5 kilo. >>

Agreed. Those are very cool.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently this seller thinks toning demands a premium on this bar >>

Looks AT. image

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay a very small premium on an attractively toned bar. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • i would buy a toned one before the others
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...