Home Precious Metals
Options

Have you ever seen this round from JM?

I bought it. image
The auction was ending and I placed my bid. It happened that I won it.
The logo looks legit to me, the year I don't know. How can JM have missed the M?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean how did they miss the MCM in the date?

Have never seen this one.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    For being pure silver, it sure looks like gold! Your dad will be happy with this one!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>I bought it. image
    The auction was ending and I placed my bid. It happened that I won it.
    The logo looks legit to me, the year I don't know. How can JM have missed the M?
    >>

It's actually missing more than the M -- I believe it shows '85', so an M would make it '1085'. It is likely missing 'MCM' (which would make it 1985). The logo looks legit to me, too -- and who would fake a 1/2 ounce silver coin?

I've never seen this round before. However, I am quite intrigued, as it suggests that JM probably made the 1/10oz silver rounds that are occasionally seen on auctions sites (e.g. 200327818615 on eBay). One side of the 1/10oz'ers is nearly identical to the liberty design, except with '2000' instead of 'LXXXV'. The reverse of the 1/10 is a different liberty design. The giveaway, though, is the round plastic holder, which I've only seen on the 1/10oz coin and now yours.

Great find!

• Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Ooops...image
    Of course I meant MCM...I am italian I know those numbers!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ooops...image
    Of course I meant MCM...I am italian I know those numbers! >>

They ran out of space on the round, that's the reason for the abbreviated dateimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I had about a dozen or so of those at the pinnacle of my fractional bar collecting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to play pinochle!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like to play pinochle!
    image >>

Likewise...double deck 3 player cutthroat...penny a point...$2 a game & $2 a set. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    back to the top....picked up (9) of these today......1/2 LXXXV JM Rounds.......any more info been found on these?
    Are they considered "rare"?
    Thanks
    CJ
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options

<< <i>back to the top....picked up (9) of these today......1/2 LXXXV JM Rounds.......any more info been found on these?
    Are they considered "rare"?
    Thanks
    CJ >>

They are not common but not rare either.
    I sold mine for $19 but it had a spot on the reverse.
    Spot x 2 is not bad though!

How much did you pay yours?
  • Options
    Thanks Ciccio---hate to say what i paid, because i would like to sell them once i find what they are worth! image
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Ciccio---hate to say what i paid, because i would like to sell them once i find what they are worth! image >>

AHAH, correct. But everyone here knows that we all sell for a profit! image
    I am sure you scored a good deal, so if you want to sell them to me I wouldn't pay more than melt! j/k
  • Options
    These little guys are not rare .... but they are not very common.

They usually sell for around $50 a pop with silver at $25 +/-.

Neat pick-up. image

Keep on Stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.