Home Sports Talk

The 2010 Tim Lincecum thread: No Cy Young Award this year, gets World Series ring instead.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< I haven't seen a pitcher dominate hitters like this since Dwight Gooden in 1985... >>

Was that the pre-crack or post-crack Dwight ?

Pre...LOL..it's a shame he started using drugs...in 1985 he was an absolute beast..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Pre...LOL..it's a shame he started using drugs...in 1985 he was an absolute beast.. >>

Even without the drug problem, do you think he would have had the same injury issues that slowed him down?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Something is definitely wrong with Lincecum, his recent starts have been horrible.

Even though we still have five months of baseball left, do you think either Jimenez or Roy have already pretty much sealed the deal as top candidates for Cy Young?

Does Lincecum still have a shot?

Will Lincecum have to pitch a perfect game and have dominant starts from now on in order to be considered ?
    Can Jimenrz break Gibson's ERA record of 1.12?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Will Lincecum have to pitch a perfect game and have dominant starts from now on in order to be considered ? >>

I don't think Lincecum has been eliminated from consideration this early in the season. There's still plenty of time for things to change.

• << <i>

<< <i>Will Lincecum have to pitch a perfect game and have dominant starts from now on in order to be considered ? >>

I don't think Lincecum has been eliminated from consideration this early in the season. There's still plenty of time for things to change. >>

Definately not elimated by any means, its only the first of june but he is way down in the pecking order at this point. Jimenez woudl be the runaway winner at this point with Halladay 2nd and Jaime Garcia 3rd if voting was doe today most likely.
    Timmy seems to have turned a corner. After 4 straight games of issuing 5 walks, and 3 straight games of not getting out of the 6th, Tim went 7 innings, gave up 6 hits, 2 walks, and 3 earned (including a 2 run homer), and will get a ND. Both of his walks turned into runs, so he still needs to get a handle on his command.

Now the Panda needs to get his power back.

8 innings, 2 runs, 7 hits, 1 walk... 7 strikeouts and the Win.

Tim's getting back into form... He established the changeup and started mowing guys down with it. Niiiice.

Good to see that Pat the Bat still has some pop left too.

A shaky outting for the Freak today, with a scary ending...

6 innings, 8 hits, 4 walks... but only 2 runs, 10 strikeouts, and he left with a 2 run lead and got the win.

However, while he would have been out of the game anyway after the 6th, the final out was off his right sholder, as he got nailed by a comebacker from Miguel Tejada. He's ok though.

Great win for Timmy. He is working out his kinks and appears to be close to top form.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Beating the 'Stros is considered a great win?

You know things are bad when the only thing local beat writers talk about is a 1st round pick's performance. Castro got his first hit and threw out two in his MLB debut.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Beating the 'Stros is considered a great win? >>

The Giants seem to be doing their best to out-suck the Astros.

• CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Somebody, PLEASE post side by side pics of Lincecum and the kid from 'Dazed and Confused' who was pitching.

Twins I say!!!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
    Every time I see a sports center clip of him pitching, I fully expect it to be followed by a slow-mo montage of Tim getting his azz busted by a bunch of bell-bottom clad Seniors with home made paddles, all to the tune of 'Slow Ride', by Foghat.
  • Dear Tim.....
    Please continue your pitching career in the National League.

Sincerely,
    The AL East
    3 innings: 5 hits, 3 walks, 4 earned runs, and done. Craptacular.

Something happened back on May 4th during the Marlins game. Through 5 innings, Tim was dominating with 11 strikeouts and only gave up 2 hits, but in the bottom of the 6th, something was different, and he started getting hit hard. Ever since that game, he hasn't been the same. His command is off, his stuff is off. I don't know. He's winning games, but he's not looking anything like the dominator that he was in 2008, 2009, or the first month of 2010.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Digi,
    He's probably got a slight injury and is trying to pitch through it.
    It's well known that Tim melts on hot days. He came out and blamed the heat on this bad outing. He really needs to figure that out, cuz most of the season is played in the sun!!!

Injury, that's a scary thought.

1) if he isn't injured, then something else is the problem and you still have the mystery.

2) if he IS injured, then he's not with a good club. Historically, the Giants will let their players play hurt if they're still productive. In 2002, the Giants let their closer Robb Nen pitch hurt for most of the season, and that ended up being his final season.

Maybe his regular weed supplier got pinched?

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can Jimenrz break Gibson's ERA record of 1.12? >>

Perhaps, if there was no inter-league play.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Maybe his poor showing against the Red Sox has more to do with the fact that he was pitching against the highest scoring team in baseball.

I doubt his numbers would be so good if he was in the AL east.
    Capecards
    6 innings, 9 hits, 4 walks, 4 runs, and the "L". Only 4 strikeouts.

Someone's kidnapped the real Tim Lincecum and replaced him with an inferior clone.

Vintage Timmy tonight: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 10 K, Win. That, combined with Buster Posey's monster 4-4, 6 RBI, 2 hr night... it's a call for Giants fans to come back off the ledge... for now.

Nice, efficient game from Timmy tonight for the shutout. It's nice to see that Buster Posey's transition into the Giants primary catcher is going smoothly too.

What a game last night! I think Lincecum is going to have a big second half of the season

Cy Young talk ain't shutout yet.....plenty of baseball left to play.

I wonder why he doesn't use his curveball too much anymore..?

<< <i>I wonder why he doesn't use his curveball too much anymore..? >>

He'll still drop that in, but when he's got his fastball working, he'll throw a lot of those, then save the off-speed stuff for the kill.

It would be cool to see Lincecum throw a no hitter this year......I got a feeling....

Tim's long hair reminds me of Randy Johnson for some reason

<< <i>Tim's long hair reminds me of Randy Johnson for some reason >>

imageimage

Somebody, PLEASE post side by side pics of Lincecum and the kid from 'Dazed and Confused' who was pitching.

Twins I say!!!

PLEASE

Thanks Digi.

Looks like a childhood photo of him
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Control problems tonight? Keeps losing his grip on the ball.
    Timmy's new pitch

He'll need to work on that one a bit more.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Rough night for Timmy but the G-men got the win. Bummer. Dodgers are slumping.
    Tim probably saw this pitch on Youtube and decided to give it a shot since none of his stuff was working. Unfortunatly, he couldn't even get that to work.

8 innings, 9 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts, no-decision. Lousy D-Backs baserunning helped keep this from being an "L."

I still think he hurt himself early in May. The numbers seem to point to that:

March/April: 1.27 era, 0.821 whip, 6.14 so/bb, .218 obp
    May: 4.95 era, 1.541 whip, 1.74 so/bb, .354 obp
    June: 3.09 era, 1.406 whip, 2.83 so/bb, .331 obp
    July: 3.12 era, 1.327 whip, 2.36 so/bb, .326 obp

In comparason:

2008: 2.62 era, 1.172 whip, 3.15 so/bb, .297 obp
    2009: 2.48 era, 1.047 whip, 3.84 so/bb, .271 obp
    2010: 3.12 era, 1.272 whip, 2.70 so/bb, .310 obp

Not a fan of the new delivery but hey whatever works......

Great game!

<< <i>Not a fan of the new delivery but hey whatever works...... >>

It's not working. He's been getting lit up.

Tim, coming off of the worst outing of his career, establishes a NEW worst outing of his career.

8/10 = 4 ip, 8 hits, 6 runs
    8/15 = 3.2 ip, 8 hits, 6 runs

Ironically, the Giants signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor-league contract last month.

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I was listening to AM 680 out of S.F. the other night and the host was talking about how he thought both Lincecum and Sandoval had bad offseasons and they both came into training camp out of shape. He made an interesting point by saying that with the grind of baseball being as tough as it is, if you come in out of shape you are going to be out of shape all season - there is no catching up. He thought both players were just trying to get by with talent and effort but without appropriate conditioning. He compared it to being seasick. Once you're seasick (out of shape) you don't suddenly feel better until after you've been on land for a while (i.e. not playing).

<< <i>I was listening to AM 680 out of S.F. the other night and the host was talking about how he thought both Lincecum and Sandoval had bad offseasons and they both came into training camp out of shape. He made an interesting point by saying that with the grind of baseball being as tough as it is, if you come in out of shape you are going to be out of shape all season - there is no catching up. He thought both players were just trying to get by with talent and effort but without appropriate conditioning. He compared it to being seasick. Once you're seasick (out of shape) you don't suddenly feel better until after you've been on land for a while (i.e. not playing). >>

I'm a frequent listener of KNBR 680. That's how I usually get my Giants games, plus I listen to the sports talk guys on my work commute. image

Yeah, that could be. Look at Zito and Wilson, both of those guys are fitness freaks, and they're having really good seasons.

Linceucm was lights-out in the first few months of the season. However, if he was out-of-shape, then his sharp decline could be fatigue.

Pablo Sandoval had a whole "Operation Panda" program dedicated to helping him loose weight last winter, and that pretty much did squat, as he showed up to camp heavier. He too had a great first few months, then hit a wall, both offensively and defensively. He's also been dealing with a messy divorce (including, allegedly, his estranged leaving the country with their daughter), so the kid's obviously got nastier problems than swinging at pitches in the dirt.

Madison Bumgarner was another guy who showed up way out of shape. The 5th starter job was his to loose, and he lost it. He too had some big stuff go on in the off season though he got married in December and his sister died near the start of Spring Training. He was basically on extended spring-training when the season started, but worked it out in Fresno, where he slowly built himself back up to form, and he's been a solid starting pitcher since they called him up.

Tim "improved" on his last two starts, this time lasting 5.1 innings, giving up 6 hits and 4 runs.

He threw 3 innings of no-hit ball before getting tagged for a homer by light hitting Randy Winn, and things went down hill after that.

Some of the local papers, writers, and sports-talk-radio guys are starting to hit the "out of shape" story a bit more. The kid's thinner and lighter now than he was in 2008 and 2009. I guess he's off the weed... he's not getting the munchies and keeping his weight up.

• sounds like the kid should blaze up more and eat some doritos.
    The 2009 Tim Lincecum showed up today...

8 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts, Win

Wow, talk about a turnaround. In 5 starts in August, he went 0-5, with a 7.82 era. Suddenly he shows up and out aces Ubaldo. Niiiiiice.

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry, once they catch the Padres he'll probably be lights out in the playoffs.....
    Tonight, Tim dominated with an iron fist for 6 innings, then got hit with power in the 7th.
    Through the first 6, Tim gave up 1 hit, walked none, struck out 9.
    In the 7th: Triple, Home Run, K, Single, K, Triple.. pulled.

Buzzsawed the lineup two times before they figured him out and hit him HARD.

Similar thing happened on May 4th against the Marlins: Blew threw the lineup twice, striking out 11 and only yielding 2 singles, then got hit with power.

Tim won, but it makes me wonder, is this Tim getting tired, or is this hitters figuring him out?

Well, whatever's going on, there's one thing that's for certain... when Tim's on his game, the Giants are too. The G-Men will need that if they want a shot at October baseball.

Seeing Lincecum return to form is HUGE for the Giants right now:

7 ip, 7 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts, WIN.

He's 3-0 in September now (after going 0-5 in August).

Not a horrible day for Tim. 2 earned in 5 innings. He wasn't laboring either. The early hook came as a result of Bruce Bochey deciding to pinch hit for Tim in the 5th with a runner on 3rd. Tim was pretty ticked off about it, but the bullpen locked it down for the last 4 innings of the 2-1 loss. Giants are swinging toothpicks these days.

• The cream rises to the top this time of year and Tim sure did tonight against the Rock's. 8IP 2H 1R and 9 K's. Would love to see him work in the playoffs.
    Tim said in an interview that he sat down with his dad and looked over tape of his starts this year and figured out a mechanical flaw, figured out how to correct it... and now you have the REAL Tim Lincecum back in action.

I know that there's been a bit of a power struggle between the Giants pitching coaches and Tim's dad, as well as Tim resting on his two Cy Young Awards and apparently not working very hard between starts. I guess that's been resolved.

March/April: 5 starts, 4-0, 1.27 era, 0.821 whip, 6.14 so/bb
    May: 6 starts, 1-2, 4.95 era, 1.541 whip, 1.74 so/bb
    June: 5 starts, 3-1, 3.09 era, 1.406 whip, 2.83 so/bb
    July: 6 starts, 3-1, 3.02 era, 1.320 whip, 2.69 so/bb
    August: 5 starts, 0-5, 7.82 era, 1.816 whip, 2.08 so/bb
    Sept: 5 starts, 4-1, 2.08 era, 0.837 whip, 10.25 so/bb