Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If a coin is 150 years old how can it not be colored in some way be it ugly or attractive?

If a coin is 150 years old how can it not be colored in some way be it ugly or attractive?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    What's the third option?
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be sealed in glass.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    It's impossible. There. I said it.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's RickO?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's RickO? >>

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was probably dipped at some point. But, that's not always a bad thing!
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen a few bust halves with frosty original white surfaces and dark peripheries that suggest they might have been stacked in a roll for many years..I cant imagine any other way this could happen.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the vast majority of silver this old should be toned.
    There is however a huge difference in local conditions that effect toning.
    The climate in New Orleans for example is quite different than Nevada.
    Stored in a certain way in a certain place it's possible to have little toning.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's RickO? >>

Dipping his collection
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    The 1878 Morgans are now 132 years old, and there are large numbers of original white coins that most likely have never been dipped (GSAs, Redfields). So if a coin sat in the right environment, there is a chance. If the coin circulated, the odds are exceedingly small for old, white and original. Still possible, but very slim odds.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I have Conders with a lot of red still, and they are a lot older than 150 years. I don't think anything has been done to them, it's all in how and where they are stored.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars in bags were protected by other coins in the bags, the exposed coins did color and many of the great looking ones today were those coins.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins stored away from offensive environmental conditions will not tarnish. Yes, there are examples. And no, I was not dipping my coins..image However, I was admiring a very nice, white, DMPL Morgan. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins stored away from offensive environmental conditions will not tarnish. Yes, there are examples. And no, I was not dipping my coins..image However, I was admiring a very nice, white, DMPL Morgan. Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. Proper storage prevents enviornmental damage called tarnish which some people apparently admire and collect.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan silver dollars that sat for years in mint bags never toned. Most of them were as white the day they came out of the bag as the day they went into it.

As for most other coins I tend to agree with you. Most all of them have toned. Gold coins, so long as the copper in them does not tone are the exception because gold is not very reactive. For silver and copper coins there are some very rare exceptions (e.g. "red copper"), but for the most part any coin that is over 50 years old that has not been stored in the best conditions will be toned.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    130 and still bright white! Another 20 years of low humidity storage will ensure it stays that way.

Get rid of your generalizations an preconceived notions!

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." Gloria Steinem

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>130 and still bright white! Another 20 years of low humidity storage will ensure it stays that way.

Get rid of your generalizations an preconceived notions! >>

Morgans are more or less a special case because of the special circumstances in which a huge number of them were stored for up to a century.

Seated coins and Barber coins which are the same age as Morgans, on the other hand, almost never had the special storage conditions that so many Morgans had, and thus "blast white" needs to treated with much more suspicion there.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seated coins and Barber coins which are the same age as Morgans, on the other hand, almost never had the special storage conditions that so many Morgans had, and thus "blast white" needs to treated with much more suspicion there.

The few original rolls of Barber coins I've seen have all been blast white and undipped. I've also seen small hoards of silver and copper world coins, that were perfectly fresh, original and untoned. Morgan Dollars are only exceptional in that the hoards were so large.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins stored away from offensive environmental conditions will not tarnish. Yes, there are examples. And no, I was not dipping my coins..image However, I was admiring a very nice, white, DMPL Morgan. Cheers, RickO >>

Do you know how many coins were toned in order to defend your white Morgan from the dangers of a mint bag? Us toned collectors say "you're welcome."
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Realalone - There were many capped bust halves saved in vaults with their original skin and are very lustrous.

What is most important is that each collector or numismatist understand how to tell what the original skin on a coin looks like in copper,silver and gold.
    The original skin is actully luster which may become dull or may boom out.

Stewart
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    150 years ago was 1860. What % of untoned blast white coins from 1960, currently in the marketplace, have not been dipped? Never, ever. I would like to hear the guesses.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file