Home U.S. Coin Forum

Poll: Who is retired, semi-retired, or neither?

mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
With all the time some people spend on this forum, it makes me wonder how many of us are retired, or semi-retired.
I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hang in there bogoman image
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work 40 hrs. per week for the manimageMay get to retire in another 20 yrs.image
    Trade $'s

• Retired at 29, strarted a business, sold the business, now working for a company that I used to own part of........ image

eddited to add I've collected coins the whole time.
  • CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I'm both retired and work fulltime.

USAF, Retired.
    Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm both retired and work fulltime. >>

Ditto...US Army Retired.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    How about real tired? Does that count?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I am not only tired, but I am retired with another tire
    around my waist.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked for a living all my life, but been retired, and loving it, for 5 years.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I am retired. Bear your comment was way funny!-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Been retired for 4 years but still working harder than ever.image
  • I'm still a young buck - so retirement is still waayy off in the distance for me.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not only tired, but I am retired with another tire
    around my waist. >>

Be careful with those retreads!!!!!
    They can blow out at any timeimage

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm both retired and work fulltime. >>

Ditto...US Army Retired. >>

Double Ditto, US Army Retired and still working for the Govt.
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • " I love to work at nuthin all day" - Bachman Turner Overdrive.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Where is the never option?
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Did it in late 1999, done,sent the infamous "I'm so gone" letter, ceeya, sold the book, put the house up for sale and left the country.

Lasted 3 years. Goshohgoshgoshgoshgoshgoshgoshgoshgosh!

We talked about it a year ago and concluded that rather than go that direction I decided to accept some business and reject other. I have 4 people working for me now ( had 5 a month ago ), and am going to promote the one fellow in a couple months to start handling some customer accounts and see how that goes for a while. Eventually I'd like him or someone to take over the lion's share of the business and I'll retain a couple dozen of my favorite customers. So it's pretty close.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May 20 is the day. After that its 4 days a month just for something to do outside of yard work, garden work, honey do work, agate hunting, golf atleast 2 times a week, bass fishing, coin hunting, time on ebay and time here.

Life is grand.
    Ken
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2010 U.S. Coin Forum Numismatic Census: Populace is borderline senile! image
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. Still working as hard as ever.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retired in 2001. Then made the mistake of turning a different hobby into a business. But the hours are good and I manage my own time.
    Lance.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three girls in college this year.
    All in 5 year Masters programs
    Then 3 weddings....
    I might retire in 20 yearsimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • tggrtggr Posts: 748
    Retired for 4 years and lovin itimageimageimageimage
  • dirtybirddirtybird Posts: 223 ✭✭
    Retired in 2006. Lovin' every minute of it. image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Three girls in college this year.
    Then 3 weddings....
    I might retire in 20 yearsimage >>

Ha! I did that, John. Three girls in college at the same time. 20 years is optimistic. But the girls are worth it. Some day they may even pay for dinner...
    Lance.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Three girls in college this year.
    Then 3 weddings....
    I might retire in 20 yearsimage >>

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been retired now 5 months. Gett'n use to it! Seems the company thought someone younger
    could sell better. I was replaced by a 30ish youngster (blond too!). She lasted two months
    then quit to get a "better job" (probably not a commissioned one). Now the owner is doing
    it all himself and the store is only open two days a week instead of the five it used to be.

I guess the 100k I was making was not enough for them. Oh well, just two years too soon
    and I have to rearrange a few things. But all is well.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Will turn 62 this coming November. Don't know what I will do yet. Too many medical problems and aches and pains.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>Retired for 4 years and lovin itimageimageimageimage >>

Same here... Retired at 52. image
  • Invouluntarily retired 1991. Now I have no spare time.
  • Retired in 1997. Love it. Only problem "Golden yrs. ain't all that Golden".image
    Gary
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Me, me, me! Been that way since Dec 1999. Just waiting for the guy with the sickle to come around.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about adding another choice,
    who would like to be retired?
    LCoopie = Les
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not yet retired at 23
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Been retired since 1986. Now I have no time to do anything.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I wish i was retired, sometimes i work 250 plus hours a month and other months i do not do a thing. I would like for my son to take over my business and send me a check monthly. Right now he thinks he wants to go to college for 8 years to get a 4 year degree.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • USAF Retired in Jan 1999.

Now, self-employed - whenever the he11 I feel like it.

Life is good!
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not yet retired at 24, but paying most bills with rent money from farm land. I got tired of farming as a kid and decided an industial job suited me better.
  • johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    After 34 years in the Aerospace business, was able to retire 4 years ago at 59 image
    (don't miss work at all!!!) (wife was able to retire 5 years ago at 58 . . life is good)

Blessings
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am retired and loving every minute of itimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just started my career...spent 8 years in school for a 4 year degree then got a job and went back to school. I think retirement is a ways off....but hey, I already live in Hawaii, so where would I retire too?? image

Cheers,
    Greg

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Self-employeed; I get to choose the jobs I want to take and when I want to take them.image
  • Well, I am 40 - haven't worked a regular job in 21 years. Have been freelancing in my areas of interest with some success for just over 10 years. Before that I was just getting by. Now I am going to leave those areas, live off material I have put aside for this very reason and return to easel painting full time. image I just wish it were a little easier.

Edited to add: I never answered the question did I? I am going to be doing what I love so I guess I will be at least semi-reired?

Eric
  • I retired 2 years ago after 40 years as a Trauma Nurse, the last 20 in a big city Pediatric hospital. I am enjoying the calm.................
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finished residency only 4 years ago, now starting to pay off med school loans V-E-R-Y slowly with 2 kids, ages 6 and 2......you tell me? image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retired in 2008... having more fun than should be legal. Fortunately, I have so many hobbies I never get bored... have to mix in chores, cooking and home maintenance of course. Life it great... Cheers, RickO
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to retire at age 45 but my dad talked me out of it. That was 7 years ago.
    Lost him to cancer and started to retire again but mom talked me out of it again.
    I may just do it and not tell her. It would be cool to just kick back and enjoy.

Larry

• I guess you can call me semi-retired, Retire from the Navy 4 years ago after 22 years and now work as a contractor 6 to 7 months a year so I get all summer off and 2 months in the winter. The bad part is I work more in those 7 months then a full time 40 hour a week job - most weeks are 72 hour weeks.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I was retired but two married children moved back in with their families. Can't claim any of them.image
    Edited to add - seems like a lot of insomniacs are retired.
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file