Home Precious Metals
Options

Need help with junk silver conversion

I'm trying to figure out the best formula for calculating melt value of junk silver U.S. currency. I've found two formulas and am wondering which is better and whether there is some other formula that is better. For this exercise I'm using a pre-1964 half dollar based solely on silver content, no collector value, and the spot price of $35/troy ounce.

Formula 1:
Spot x % silver or 35 x .36 which comes to $12.60

Formula 2:
Face x .715(no idea where this number comes from but it's the same multiplier no matter the denomination) x spot or .5 x .715 x 35 which comes to 12.52

Which formula is better? Other than the obvious joke, buy with 2 and sell with 1. image
imageRIP

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I just use coinflation.com calculator image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>I just use coinflation.com calculator image >>

Just did that and they computed $12.66 Unfortunately I don't see the formula that they use anywhere.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I like Carl's the best. Bottom of page.

Texthttp://www.carlscoins.com/
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

or: http://www.coinmelt.com/ image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

Just did that and they computed $12.66 Unfortunately I don't see the formula that they use anywhere. >>

Found it. They use Formula 1 but down to the exact silver content instead of rounding it off.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the site as a reference.....if I can get silver cheaper than the current price I'm happy!

Flea market opens back up this weekend...........I hope the coin guy has silver for me at 5x imageimage I've been saving up!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>I like Carl's the best. Bottom of page.

Texthttp://www.carlscoins.com/ >>

$12.65 He appears to use Formula 1 as well but down to the exact percentage.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Now I have to figure out how to compare the apples of junk silver to the oranges of bullion bars and rounds.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A BU $1000 bag of silver contains 723.38 tr. oz. of pure silver after refining out the alloy.
    A circulated bag is assumed to average out at 715 tr. oz. pure. That's where the .715 oz. per dollar figure came from.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, around 8oz of silver wear off of a 1000.00 bag due to circulation, wonder how much would be gone if coins were pure and not 90%. As far as gold tender goes, it would be way better to own krugerands if we ever had to go back to the gold standard----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree