Home Precious Metals
Options

Would you be darn upset if......

Lets say you saw a BST post, and were the first member to respond offering the seller's full asking price. He then emails you that he will actually take a little less if you agree to use paypal gift. You accept and ask for the paypal addy. 2 minutes later he responds that he had a higher offer, and cant sell the item to you. Mad or no mad?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Lets say you saw a BST post, and were the first member to respond offering the seller's full asking price. He then emails you that he will actually take a little less if you agree to use paypal gift. You accept and ask for the paypal addy. 2 minutes later he responds that he had a higher offer, and cant sell the item to you. Mad or no mad? >>

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    that sucks but if you didn't say "DEAL" anything can happen I guess.

Thats why I say: DEAL? in every pm lol imageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>that sucks but if you didn't say "DEAL" anything can happen I guess.

Thats why I say: DEAL? in every pm lol imageimage >>

Huh? I replied to the BST post that "i'll take it"....then sent a PM asking how the seller wanted the funds. He responded that he would take paypal gift at a slightly discounted rate. Then I asked for the paypal info. Then came another message that said I was out. At what point did it seem like I was "considering" the purchase Mike?
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I like the one who tells me. You responded first but another member who I know wants item so I'm going to sell to him.

After you wait 2 hours to get a reply!imageimageimageimageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I agree. It DOES suck and they SHOULD sell it to you, but until since you never paid for it, they can basically do whatever they want. So yeah, some kind of deal needs to be struck. Thankfully I've never encountered that kind of seller yet. But yeah, I WOULD be mad.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    When does a deal become "cemented"? Its not when funds are actually transfered, think Tulving, Apmex. Its when both parties agree to a price. When I say "i'll take it", and the seller returns my message with a paypal price shipped to my door, thats a deal in my opinion! I got screwed on the deal. Oh well, life goes on.
  • Options
    post this on the coin forum or something and see what everyone elses opinion is.

there is a 250 gram degussa gold bar on apmex go get that, should lower your bp image

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    In my mind, yeah he might say I'll lower the price if you do paypal, etc still isn't enough. There are certain magic words lol like "deal" "sold",etc that have to be said by both parties.

Its like if I had a degussa bar and you said you wanted it and I said shipping might cost so and so, I accept money orders, and then 5 minutes later told you sorry I sold it, there was no agreement still.

• Options
    Get the 250 g gold degussa and post a pic! I wanna see a 250 gram bar, has to be cool looking! GO GET IT GECKO!

• Options

<< <i>Get the 250 g gold degussa and post a pic! I wanna see a 250 gram bar, has to be cool looking! GO GET IT GECKO! >>

Im actually going to be buying 10oz of gold in a few days, but it'll prolly be 40 of the 1/4 eagles.
  • Options
    shoot, get the 250 gram degussa and then the rest in 1/4!

I think the 250 gram would fit your degussa set nicely.....imagine it sitting next to the 100 grammer

• Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    In my opinion you had the deal at the moment the seller replied to you.
    It meant at least that the negotiation was in place and the item should have been put on hold.
    In the real world, the deal is complete when you get what you paid for.

As you said, life goes on.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    First person you talk to is entitled to deal unless he passes or declines. Then next in line.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Theres no pic even....is it the poured or struck type? I'd like to see a photo before I plunk down $8k+
  • Options
    yeah no pic sadly. Does it have to be a poured one? I'd say a struck or poured would look nice.

You could call them up and ask for a pic

• Options
    Or I could just buy 40 quarter oz eaglesimage
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there, done that. It sucks, and it's unprofessional. But you get over it. Unless it's a once-in-a-lifetime, been waiting for years kind of thing, be pissed for a few hours and then let it go. Move on to the next one.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be happy, but it says more about the seller than anything else.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a deal to me... although, if you were ripping his face off I could see him weasling out. 1.4x face? image
  • Options
    It is a deal when you are holding the product; too many things can go wrong before then. Remember what John Wayne said as Jacob McCandles: "And now *you* understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter..."image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sucks. I'd be pi$$ed and then I would move on and not look back. That seller would be dead to me though. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    this is a money hog and has no pride just greed
  • Options
    You had a done deal. Period. image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You had a done deal. Period. image >>

I agree.

You both 'agreed' on the sale.

But sometimes someone's word is not worth much.

Saying magic words like 'deal' doesn't guarantee a transaction will take place. A buyer or seller could change their mind depending on their degree of ethics.

It's very unfortunate.

Just don't deal with this seller again.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't be happy, but it says more about the seller than anything else. >>

Agree. Who was this unethical seller?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Sounds to me like it was a done deal verbally. Something better came along for him and he sold it out from under you.

I would be mad.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image Yep, mad.......
    Becky
  • Options
    You would be doing us all a favor by telling us who this seller is so we can avoid doing business with him. The guy is obviously unethical and not the type of person that most of us would choose to do business with. Peer pressure is a strong incentive to keep forum members honest.

• Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i>
    But sometimes someone's word is not worth much.

>>

Found this out myself on the BST this week.
  • Options

<< <i>You would be doing us all a favor by telling us who this seller is so we can avoid doing business with him. The guy is obviously unethical and not the type of person that most of us would choose to do business with. Peer pressure is a strong incentive to keep forum members honest. >>

It happened on a different forum Perry. In fact, the seller had signed up to that forum JUST to sell his item. It was a classic "hit and run" scenario. I gave him a piece of my mind, and like others have suggested, its been put behind me.

In a similar situation, I had posted a bust dime with cuds on the coin forum a couple years ago to ask what I had. A certain member PMed me offering to buy it for $35. Since I had no attachment to it, and had about that much into it, I agreed to sell to him. Within hours (and BEFORE I had shipped the coin), another member offered to buy it from me for $900. Although I was very dissapointed in myself for leaving money on the table, I still sold it to the 1st member for $35. That extra $865 would have been long gone by now, but I can still hold my head up knowing my integrity and reputation is rock solid. Money is imaginary, and it goes as easily as it comes. Reputation follows you into the grave!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sucks but if you didn't say "DEAL" anything can happen I guess.

Thats why I say: DEAL? in every pm lol

That is a very good approach, and I think that I'll use it whenever I get a B-S-T deal started. However, it won't keep someone from changing their stance if they go offline and a better offer comes in and they decide to be a scumbag.

I agree with MJ - that seller would be dead to me, I'd be pi**ed and move on.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I'd be a little annoyed, yeah. I'd probably avoid that seller in the future.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    pennyholicpennyholic Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    When you are the first to reply with PM sent or I will take it/deal that should be enough to secure the deal. Now having said that what gets me upset is the fact I am not quick enough to win any silver deals. I have bought coins from several members but these deals the coins have sat for a couple of hours not seconds like silver goes in. I would think some of you have apps that alert you when a post goes up on the BST board that allows you to respond in seconds. Sorry about your deal not going through and yes you should be upset and complain but I thought I would share some of my complaining so we can both just deal with it, life goes on.image
  • Options
    pennyholic some guys just hit the refresh button every second lol, thats the only way they get those jdimmick killer deals within seconds of it being posted.

• Options
    had it happen to me a couple times and I just keep a list of those who I will not deal with
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    That would be upsetting. The seller would end up on my do not deal with list.
  • Options

<< <i>It happened on a different forum Perry. >>

I'm glad to hear that it didn't happen here on this forum. I've done several BST transactions with other forum members here and I've always been treated quite fairly by them.

• Options
    mmmmm.......................... Hey Gecko109....................
    Put up a link to this other forum where this happened so we can see what was offered and so forth.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>When does a deal become "cemented"? Its not when funds are actually transfered, think Tulving, Apmex. Its when both parties agree to a price. When I say "i'll take it", and the seller returns my message with a paypal price shipped to my door, thats a deal in my opinion! I got screwed on the deal. Oh well, life goes on. >>

That would be great if you could charge him $35 cancelation fee plus your Market Loss policy! image
  • Options
    In a similar situation, I had posted a bust dime with cuds on the coin forum a couple years ago to ask what I had. A certain member PMed me offering to buy it for $35. Since I had no attachment to it, and had about that much into it, I agreed to sell to him. Within hours (and BEFORE I had shipped the coin), another member offered to buy it from me for $900. Although I was very dissapointed in myself for leaving money on the table, I still sold it to the 1st member for $35. That extra $865 would have been long gone by now, but I can still hold my head up knowing my integrity and reputation is rock solid. Money is imaginary, and it goes as easily as it comes. Reputation follows you into the grave!
    Gecko109

Strange.
    I did a search and couldn't find any reference to this.
    Was this on one of your other forums too?
    If not, pull it up on a search for us.

Ray
  • Options
    Thank you. A very interesting post there by Steve Crain.

Ray
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You would be doing us all a favor by telling us who this seller is so we can avoid doing business with him. The guy is obviously unethical and not the type of person that most of us would choose to do business with. Peer pressure is a strong incentive to keep forum members honest. >>

It happened on a different forum Perry. In fact, the seller had signed up to that forum JUST to sell his item. It was a classic "hit and run" scenario. I gave him a piece of my mind, and like others have suggested, its been put behind me.

In a similar situation, I had posted a bust dime with cuds on the coin forum a couple years ago to ask what I had. A certain member PMed me offering to buy it for $35. Since I had no attachment to it, and had about that much into it, I agreed to sell to him. Within hours (and BEFORE I had shipped the coin), another member offered to buy it from me for $900. Although I was very dissapointed in myself for leaving money on the table, I still sold it to the 1st member for $35. That extra $865 would have been long gone by now, but I can still hold my head up knowing my integrity and reputation is rock solid. Money is imaginary, and it goes as easily as it comes. Reputation follows you into the grave! >>

It makes no sense what-so-ever to choose to lose $865 on a second offer that you had just verbally agreed upon at just $35. I can certainly understand being pissed off that somebody pulls the rug on you for a minimal to mid range percentage. But $900 in relation to $35??? No way. I would pull the deal from the other guy and send him double the money to what he offered to show you really are sorry, BUT, $35 and $900 are on a different planet. The other guy gets 70 bucks to spend on something else. No shame in that.

Guys, I am new to PM's but nowhere near new to rational fiscal thought.

Bash away image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I think there was a topic somewhat like what your saying softparade on the coin forum.

Look I'm not perfect but if I sold something and it was worth slightly more, I'd go ahead and still sell it.

HOWEVER, if I had a coin that I was selling for $50 and I hear from another member its worth 5k, 1k, 20k, 100k, etc I'm sorry but I will email the person and say look, "I found out its worth x many K's, I cannot sell it to you at 50 bucks"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

In a similar situation, I had posted a bust dime with cuds on the coin forum a couple years ago to ask what I had. A certain member PMed me offering to buy it for $35. Since I had no attachment to it, and had about that much into it, I agreed to sell to him. Within hours (and BEFORE I had shipped the coin), another member offered to buy it from me for $900. Although I was very dissapointed in myself for leaving money on the table, I still sold it to the 1st member for $35. That extra $865 would have been long gone by now, but I can still hold my head up knowing my integrity and reputation is rock solid. Money is imaginary, and it goes as easily as it comes. Reputation follows you into the grave! >>

It makes no sense what-so-ever to choose to lose $865 on a second offer that you had just verbally agreed upon at just $35. I can certainly understand being pissed off that somebody pulls the rug on you for a minimal to mid range percentage. But $900 in relation to $35??? No way. I would pull the deal from the other guy and send him double the money to what he offered to show you really are sorry, BUT, $35 and $900 are on a different planet. The other guy gets 70 bucks to spend on something else. No shame in that.

Guys, I am new to PM's but nowhere near new to rational fiscal thought.

Bash away image >>

The "importance" of $865 to you is obviously different than to me. Its simply a matter of perspective I suppose.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    gecko, what if you heard the person who bought you 800+ dollar item for 35 dollars was bragging about it before you actually made the transfer, would it change anything? Just a hypothetical question-----------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    The "importance" of $865 to you is obviously different than to me. Its simply a matter of perspective I suppose. >>

I suppose. However, its not the $865 dollars really, it is the HUGE percentage difference. I don't care if you are Bill Gates or the fry guy at McDonalds. The value of any transaction is ALWAYS a priority.
    With that said, I certainly understand why you would be upset over a verbal agreement on a internet forum. I agree that reputation is king in THIS environment. So, kudos to you for being in what is probably the extreme minority. Like I said, if I pulled the rug because of a GIGANTIC difference in percentage I certainly would reward the gilted with a nice free cash token as a olive leaf extended in breaking the verbal agreement.

Thanks

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    collector or dealer?