Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Probably going to get screwed on eBay.

Sold a graded card for about $2,000.00 sent the card Express Mail Insured. Buyer got the card, left positive feedback. The next day the buyer sends me a scan of what looks like a tampered with holder saying the card has two rounded corners that were not shown in the scan and they want a partial or full refund. I am pretty sure the holder has been cracked and the card switched with a photocopy they are going to return. I call eBay Customer Support, finally get someone in that department, explain the scenario, she tells me that since the buyer left positive feedback saying that the item was perfect she was going to go ahead and close the claim. Well it still shows the claim as open and escalated to eBay for a decision a day later. I call and talk to someone else in the department and she tells me that there are no notes about the item and that it was only escalated to eBay for a decision. I ask if I can speak with the service rep whom I spoke with before and she tells me that she can't do that and doesn't know if there is someone who works their by that name. I am certain eBay is going to say the buyer can return the item for a full refund and the buyer will send me a fake card in a busted holder and get $2,000 back while keeping the card. I am pretty ticked at this point.

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    probably too late to get your $ out of your paypal account, right?
  • Options
    Do you have a no return policy on graded cards? If so, the buyer should not be able to file a SNAD, as long as the card you showed in the scan is what he got.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    They didn't freeze my funds and I sweep my account daily. It is and eBay dispute and not on PayPal yet. Not sure how that carries over exactly.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have a no return policy on graded cards? If so, the buyer should not be able to file a SNAD, as long as the card you showed in the scan is what he got. >>

I do have it as no returns, but eBay has a new policy that the customer is never wrong. NO MATTER WHAT.
  • Options
    get your p's and q's in order if he/she gets away with it and you have proof, i do believe thats a felony theft, im not a lawyer but that alot of bank to be doing that, sorry it happened, i would never give a partial refund if he does get to send it back make note of the damage holder and file with ebay on a reversal of order,, you will have to go to the police station and have a report made out,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would videotape, with a witness, yourself opening what they send back to you (if it comes to that). Maybe in the future even videotape yourself sealing high-dollar shipments as well.
  • Options
    I believe that storm will have some advice, but I recall in the past he mentions opening the item up in front of a postal employee.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>I believe that storm will have some advice, but I recall in the past he mentions opening the item up in front of a postal employee. >>

This was going to be my advice. Videotaping your opening the package might be a good idea as well.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that storm will have some advice, but I recall in the past he mentions opening the item up in front of a postal employee. >>

I don't see how that will help. If I'm understanding right, the buyer is saying they received a damaged holder with a swapped card inside. If the OP has a postmaster watch him open it, and it has a counterfeit card or a picture or whatever, the buyer will agree that it's there, saying it's what the OP shipped to them.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    check the ebay completed listings to see if the other card was recently purchased by the scumbag or someone near him.
  • Options
    Do you have a pic in your ebay listing?
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I believe that storm will have some advice, but I recall in the past he mentions opening the item up in front of a postal employee. >> >>

There's a good chance that what comes back will be something other than the replacement. It will either be just the cracked slab, or a common of some other sort if it is even a card at all. When Bobby had his issue he only got empty slabs back and won his case easily, by having the PO employee as a witness. It can't hurt and it's free.

Hammer on ebay and Paypal people if necessary. If you don't give up they probably will. If the buyer has any other complaints etc. they may see a pattern and rule for you too. Just be sure you didn't do anything wrong. If you really sent a good card in an untampered holder then you should be fine. It may take some effort, but you should prevail. If the holder "was cracked in shipping etc.", you have the postal insurance to fall back on. Just don't try to fool the PO, you want them on your side.
  • Options
    Please either post or PM me with his user ID so I can add him to the list.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    What Bbucker22 said... and also let us know how it turns out or how we can help.
  • Options
    This whole thing is complete crap - how can a seller avoid this scenario? Have someone watch everytime they pack a high dollar card? That's absurd and not practical - would you get affidavits from the witnesses? Besides, it also wouldn't prevent the buyer from filing a SNAD anyway. And to be the devil's advocate here, if Allen manages to win, which he should, why couldn't a shady seller actually do this sort of switch and then use for his defense whatever was the successful argument that worked for Allen?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Eeeewwwwwwww ....... Another EBAY scammer !

You can win a SNAD claim, but it is tough and you would/might need paid help to do it.

SNAD Definition

What is Significantly Not as Described (SNAD)?

An item is Significantly Not as Described if it is materially different than what the seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:

You received a completely different item. Example: You purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.

The condition of the item was misrepresented. Example: The listing said "new" and the item was used.

The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.

The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in the listing.

You purchased three items from a seller but only received two.

The item was damaged during shipment.

An item is not Significantly Not as Described if it is materially similar to the seller’s item listing description. Here are some examples:

The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller.

The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.

The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.

The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.

Having the PO clerk watch you open the package won't help too much,
    unless there is a rock or an empty slab in the package. If there is a fake
    card in a cracked slab, you could have the clerk sign a statement to that
    effect (if they will), OR you could have him/her initial the fake item and
    date it.

(The clerks know what a rock looks like and what an empty slab looks
    like, BUT they don't know what a fake card looks like.)

If the tampered item is returned w/o SC, it might get lost in the mail.

Don't communicate with the guy outside of the Dispute Console.

Since PayPal is swept, it needs to stay that way until this case is closed.

If you have another low-balance sweep account, you might take the old
    one off and replace it with the spare. In theory, if you do another sweep
    to the old account, PP might try to piggyback the old money to a reversal
    of a current sweep. PP might also piggyback EBAY-fees, if they are paid
    from the current sweep account via PP.

PP does not like to honor their Buyer Protection scheme/scam with their own
    money. For $2K, they don't really care about the law or regs or their own TOS;
    they will try to get the money back.

If the scammer wanted a SMALL partial refund, I might give it to him to settle the
    claim.

IF it turns out the slab was damaged in shipment - and the card was not switched -
    you can file a USPS INS claim.

There was a way to opt-out of EBAY making refunds on your behalf.
    Look into that. (If you are opted in, EBAY can play piggyback on their
    fees for the extra money. THAT was at the heart of the new scheme
    that lets EBAY decide claims rather than having PP do it.)

If you get burned, file a complaint at the San Jose BBB. Tell them that
    EBAY and PP were co-conspirators in a third-party scheme to defraud
    you.

If you scream loud enough, you might get a "courtesy refund."

On non-EBAY venues, there is no such thing as a PayPal-decided SNAD.

For that reason, many sellers have stopped listing expensive items on EBAY.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    You would think since since the buyer left positive feedback that would be enough to close the case. Did you get the rep's full name, or just a first name? If you got a full name try and google it, sometimes you can get info from that. Hopefully it works out for you.

• Options

"...You would think since since the buyer left positive feedback that would be enough to close the case..."

//////////////////////

FB is additional evidence that a seller can raise in his response to a SNAD or INR claim.

By itself, FB having been left is NEVER dispositive to a buyer's claim. The CS-monkey
    gave bad info.

Buyers and Sellers often leave FB for the wrong sellers/buyers/items.
  • Options

Wow this really sucks and is why I don't sell a lot on eBay.

What I don't understand is why a buyer would ask for a partial refund on a damaged card? If I was the buyer on the up and up and the card came damaged I would want a full refund. That is a lot of money to spend and I would want my card as described or a full refund.

And if it really did get damaged in the mail I would totally work with a seller to get his/her money back from the USPS.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I assume you have a pic/scan of the card in the holder pre-sale
    If you do, it should be easy to determine if a switch took place
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I smell a scam here"
  • Options
    Very strange case.

When it comes to tampered cases theres really no way of knowing when the case was actually tampered. It couldve been done by the seller, buyer, or someone who owned the card previously. How would ebay/paypal know unless the buyer has a track record?
  • Options

<< <i>Very strange case.

When it comes to tampered cases theres really no way of knowing when the case was actually tampered. It couldve been done by the seller, buyer, or someone who owned the card previously. How would ebay/paypal know unless the buyer has a track record? >>

////////////////////////////////////

If the card has been switched, it can be proven.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Very strange case.

When it comes to tampered cases theres really no way of knowing when the case was actually tampered. It couldve been done by the seller, buyer, or someone who owned the card previously. How would ebay/paypal know unless the buyer has a track record? >>

////////////////////////////////////

If the card has been switched, it can be proven. >>

True. The trick is finding out who switched the card? The buyer can claim the seller switched the card and vice versa.
  • Options

<< <i>I do have it as no returns, but eBay has a new policy that the customer is never wrong. NO MATTER WHAT. >>

True. It doesn't matter if state you do not accept returns or you only accept them during a set period and someone files a SNAD after that time. I don't know why eBay even allows these options on their SYI form.

I think this is every seller's nightmare and I hope you don't get shafted on this transaction. I count my blessings almost daily that something like this hasn't happened to me... yet. Fortunately, the vast majority of people are honest, but that is little comfort when you come across on that isn't... especially on a 2K item.

Snorto~
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    please post or PM bidder for BBL

and good luck image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you have a no return policy on graded cards? If so, the buyer should not be able to file a SNAD, as long as the card you showed in the scan is what he got. >>

I do have it as no returns, but eBay has a new policy that the customer is never wrong. NO MATTER WHAT. >>

That's right, Ebay will screw u ifin u don't CYA when the idiot returns the screwed with PSA holder just make sure u open it in front of a postal employee. also pls give us this guys ID so we can put him on th BBL
  • Options
    After several calls to eBay and none of them ever being returned they informed me that they refunded the buyer and that I need to reimburse eBay $1,975.00
    I appealed the decision and it was closed within 12 hours. The credit card I had on file had lapsed so they are asking me to give them a credit card or debit card they can bill.
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    I'm truly sorry this happened to you. This is the crap that is ruining the hobby.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    This is horrible. I am so sorry, is there anything that can be done?
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    So...ebay refunded the buyer without forcing him to return anything to you?
  • Options
    He returned a different item. Gave eBay the tracking number and they apparently did not care about the fact that it was not the same item.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If you can't get this thing resolved in your favor, that would be enough money to abandon my ebay account... it's obviously a scam. eff that.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    they are asking me to give them a credit card or debit card they can bill....

like that is gonna happen...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    who is the buyer so we can all block him!!
  • Options
    you need to go down to your local police department and have them fill out a report, this will help you with ebay, they wont just take your word for it,, send them a copy of the PR,,,bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Very sorry this happened, Allen. If I were in your position I'd be done with EBay, and if they wanted that money they would have to take me to court.

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    We should all take turns calling this guy in the middle of the night for the next year.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Very sorry this happened, Allen. If I were in your position I'd be done with EBay, and if they wanted that money they would have to take me to court. >>

They wouldn't take him to court but they will turn it over to a collection agency.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Please out this buyer....that is why I hate Ebay...I am finished with them at the end of the month anyway, but reading this infuriates me....
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    This is Effed up, big time.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    This whole thing seems strange.

Surely you have other avenues available to you.

If it were me and someone was trying to screw me out of 2 grand, I'd be talking to ebay and paypal supervisors 10 times a day.

I'd be filing a sworn affadavit that the card returned was not the original item and I'd be at my local PD tomorrow.

I'd take scans of the card before and after, take the switched item, a copy of my positive selling record on ebay and a copy of his inexperienced buying record.

I'd also be finding this guy's contact info and contacting the detectives in his area.

And if they tried to collect the debt thru a collection agency, I'd contest the debt as invalid.

This specific type of fraud happens all the time, I can't imagine you have no further recourse.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    What was the item?

What item did the person send back?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This whole thing seems strange.

Surely you have other avenues available to you.

If it were me and someone was trying to screw me out of 2 grand, I'd be talking to ebay and paypal supervisors 10 times a day.

I'd be filing a sworn affadavit that the card returned was not the original item and I'd be at my local PD tomorrow.

I'd take scans of the card before and after, take the switched item, a copy of my positive selling record on ebay and a copy of his inexperienced buying record.

I'd also be finding this guy's contact info and contacting the detectives in his area.

And if they tried to collect the debt thru a collection agency, I'd contest the debt as invalid.

This specific type of fraud happens all the time, I can't imagine you have no further recourse. >>

Added to this list, I'd be tempted to pay a personal visit to this guy.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options

<< <i>We should all take turns calling this guy in the middle of the night for the next year. >>

Get his phone number and email address and I will gladly make him misearble until he changes both his number and email addy.
  • Options
    Whenever i have had issues i call paypal and they are usually very helpful, however the Ebay people are generally useless. go figure.

why havent you outed the buyer yet?
  • Options
    File a mail fraud claim at USPS. They won't likely investigate it
    but you'll need a copy of the form. (Look at the online forms if
    you don't wanna go in person.)

Your local PD. Keep chatting them up until they agree to take
    a written report of your complaint.

Get a copy of your complaint. If they won't give you a copy,
    have your lawyer show up to get a copy.

FAX the report to the PD where the scamster is located. Call
    and chat with the boys and see if they will accept a written
    complaint. (For all we know, the scamster could be a regular
    customer at his PD.)

Do the detective work and find out everything you can about
    the scamster.

Prepare your case on paper in affidavit form. Get it notarized.
    Attach all of your evidence; photos, PD complaints, USPS form,
    etc.

Call EBAY/PayPal and ask for a supervisor. Tell her you want to
    FAX your evidence to her.

Keep calling back everyday until they tell you to stop calling.

Next Step........

San Jose BBB.

Name only EBAY and PayPal as respondents.

Make it clear that you have the resources to litigate if EBAY/PP
    does not reverse their fraud-influenced decision.

NEVER tell EBAY/PP "I don't have the money to pay you." They
    will bury you. They only fear folks with money.

The gangsters will try to collect the money themselves for a few
    weeks or months. They will then give it to a collection agent.

DISPUTE the bill on the 28th day of the collection effort. Use
    Certified Mail. DON"T talk on the phone with the collector.

In the meantime, there is a good chance that the BBB complaint
    will be settled. EBAY/PP have a dept that does nothing but work
    those complaints; they settle many of them with "courtesy refunds."

A lawsuit is also an option. If it's a punk living with its parents, you
    can chase them too. If they own a house and have insurance, the
    carrier can be notified; if they don't step up, at least they will put
    a note in the file and likely cancel the policy at renewal time.

If you don't have one, open a googlecheckout account quickly.
    (PP will put you into a bad data base in a few weeks, and google
    subscribes to the service.)

You will also need to prepare/submit a 100-word statement to the
    three credit bureaus. WAIT until the account is in the hands of a
    collection agency to send the statement.

You can open a new PP account, using different info. But, I would
    wait awhile.

ecrater and other venues are MUCH safer for sellers than EBAY is.

not spellchecked.

• Options
    Wow, that stinks. Post some pics of the before card and the card he sent you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Auction number?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭