Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most dead area of US numismatics?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
Numismatic telephone cards?
Numismatic souvenir cards?
Elongated coins?
Wooden nickels?
.........?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

  • Options
    Shriver's?
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424 ✭
    Customer Service?




    image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>What is the most dead area of US numismatics? >>



    Coins with presidents on them?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

    "Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."


    ~Wayne
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    State Quarter spoons.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭


    << <i>State Quarter spoons. >>




    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check my BST offerings.
    It varies with whatever I'm trying to sell. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Check my BST offerings.
    It varies with whatever I'm trying to sell. image >>



    image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭

    Mint & SMS Sets
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I vote for "Type M" quarters of 1968S, 1969D, 1970 D and 1970. As far as I can tell, exactly 3 of us collect them. However a class III doubled die involving the "type M" sold on TeleTrade tonight in disguise (as just a doubled die).
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circulated SBA dollars.

  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,524 ✭✭✭✭
    2009 DDR Formative Years Lincolns?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.



    The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500 ✭
    mint set tokens
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    new stuff from the mint dollars come to mind on this one with all the dead presidents on them
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon all of that would fall under exonumia, so it's hard to say. I've lately grown fond of exonumia (love tokens, to be precise), and it's still a small enough niche that I find plenty of room to play without blowing big bucks.

    Now, if you were to exclude exonumia and use a stricter definition of "US numismatics", i.e. coins only, and unaltered coins at that, well... that would be an interesting question. Modern commems? Zincolns? I have no idea.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many market reports in the past said classic commems were dead. Is this still true? Sometimes, dead = buying opportunity.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins that have not been doctored. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    Three cent silvers and nickels
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    I worry the "W" ASE/AGE/APE's are dead...but not from lack of interest!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options


    << <i>What is the most dead area of US numismatics? >>


    It seems all my coins...image...they lay still wherever I put them....!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern Mint and Proof sets.
    Best regards,
    Dwayne F. Sessom
    Ebay ID: V-Nickel-Coins
    My V Nickel Registry Set - https://pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/71874
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Collectors buried in the graveyard, can't get much deader than that!
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭
    Numismatics (i.e. actual legal tender U.S. coins) or exonumia?
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>What is the most dead area of US numismatics? >>


    It seems all my coins...image...they lay still wherever I put them....!! >>



    That's actually a good thing. Ever since my cat has started her collection mine all have a tendancy to walk off!
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219 ✭


    << <i>Customer Service?




    image >>



    image
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Coin club tokens. Anyone into these?
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All proof and mint sets from 1968 through the early 90s. Dead as a doornail.

    RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dead as a Doornail....yes, but a great inexpensive birth year set to give to just about anyone. Very impressive still to non collectors.....a nice 80's or 90's proof set.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Coin club tokens. Anyone into these? >>



    Actually, this could be a very interesting area of specialization. There are quite a few interesting ones. I'm sure there are hundreds of clubs that have issued these. The club I used to be a member of, Warren Coin Club of Warren, MI, issued a bronze medal in 1966. I believe it was struck by Metal Arts of Rochester, NY. In 1982 a quantity of the remaining medals were engraved with a twentieth anniversary message.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Collectors buried in the graveyard, can't get much deader than that! >>


    image

    The botanist who laid flowers on the numismatist's grave might disagree with the good doctor.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    presidents

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    Actually, this could be a very interesting area of specialization. There are quite a few interesting ones. I'm sure there are hundreds of clubs that have issued these. The club I used to be a member of, Warren Coin Club of Warren, MI, issued a bronze medal in 1966. I believe it was struck by Metal Arts of Rochester, NY. In 1982 a quantity of the remaining medals were engraved with a twentieth anniversary message. >>



    These do make an interesting collectible since few people can come
    up with more interesting and more appropriate designs for medals than
    can coin collectors.

    My favorite are the Covina Coin Club but many do a superb job.

    There are also a million woods for a million coin shows.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mail Bid Auctions
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    ACG slabs
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options


    << <i>Mail Bid Auctions >>



    At nearly every Stack's, Heritage and Goldberg auction I attened, a surprising number of lots are still won by mail bidders (at least according to the auctioneers, who typically announce this information).

    Conclusion: Not everyone has a computer, but most people still have a mailbox (the old fashioned kind, on a post, near the road).
  • Options
    wooden nickels
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    Booker T. Washington Half Dollars and Carver-Washington Half Dollars. Mintages that low and one could still buy a BU coin for under $100. Nowhere else in US numismatics will you find that.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭

    Mint-issued US coin Christmas ornaments ...

    image

    Collect them all! image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Mail Bid Auctions >>



    Not for me. I just bid close to $2,000 in one. If you know that dealer, and know that he knows how grade, mail bid sales can produce some wonderful material.

    I think that the early gold commemoratives 1904 - 1926 are pretty dead right now. I went shopping for them at the last FUN show, and I think that most dealers either were glad to see me or were glad to see me comming ... if you follow my drift. imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Mail Bid Auctions >>



    Allan Davisson has been running very successful mail bid auctions for a number of years.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file