Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for the Albert Pujols Collectors

I had a buddy of mine call me yesterday and ask me if I thought Albert Pujols RC's were a good investment right now. Obviously he is putting numbers on the board right now that few can compare with, and if he has four or five more years like on par with his career averages he going to be in the conversation as one of the all-time greatest players. But are his RC's a good investment right now? My question is this, Aside from the Bowman Chrome that very few of us can afford, as well as the low printed high dollar auto cards he has out there, what are some of his base line cards that a normal joe would be able to go out and purchase and are they a good investment at there current prices?

As an aside, I would ask that the board not go off on a tangent in regards to Pujols, its a question I thought about all day yesterday, and really want to hear the opinion of the collecting community.

Thanks in advance

Edit: This thing needs spell check.

Comments

• Options
    The Chrome and other autos that year will always be the key cards, but I do believe there is room for growth in his non auto RCs. Personally I've always liked the regular Bowman and UpperDeck issue. It shows the great swing that Albert has come to be known for.
  • Options
    Unless the hobble grows, I would have a hard time thinking of any new product as an investment. Pujols rookie auto cards are still getting good dollars, yet one injury, one mistake, one media problem and his cards would soften. If you see a card you like then buy it, but not as an investment. The track record of new material (80s and up) is once the glitter is gone, the price levels in a downward way. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Wasn't long ago we were having the same discussion about Arod cards. Not trying to point fingers but I would hold off on Pujols cards as an investment.
  • Options
    I don't think I would look at any modern card today as an investment.. Once the player retires, the prices drop, and he becomes "remember when".
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I think you would be best suited to ask non Pujols collectors.. to get an unbiased opinion.

I think collecting any modern card as a potential long term investment is not wise.
  • Options
    Matt,

First thing, is he should stick with 2001 Pujols cards...nothing after that will hold value i dont believe.....The Rookie card is a powerful Phenomena...

---everytime i go back and look at my old "want lists" , i say "WoW! i should have bought more then at that price"....

---- As far as Ebay , raw cards prices sometimes fluctuate (based on the scan maybe), but Graded Prices have held strong...PSA 10's bring big premiums....

.....The Upper Deck card is the most plentiful, the most traded, and a good gauge for the market...Raw sell for about $40, $60 in PSA 9, and $130 for PSA 10....(.BGS 9.5 goes for $100)

Autographed 2001 cards have appreciated fast and getting one under $450 is not easy.....a graded Auto usually goes for $650 -$1200
    only 3 years ago there were under $200 still...

the Auto cards that are numbered to 25 are even more expensive ($1000 plus)...

My Main suggestion is stick with PSA graded cards.....there are 340 items for sale on Ebay under "pujols 2001" but only 40 under Pujols PSA 2001....

Another suggestion is to look for serial numbered cards (especially cards below 500 printed)....this is they key with Pujols Rookie Year cards, many of the most popular (and desirable) cards have only 500 to go around!!!

As Demand increases for Pujols Rookie Cards (people are saying he may be the best right handed hitter ever), Supply SHRINKS since they cant be replenished! This will (and has) resulted in big price moves...
    ----------------------

many raw cards are in not perfect condition (or they would have been sent in somewhere along the way)...

i only buy raw Pujols cards if it is a rare card (numbered to 250 or less) or a GU card..(many of the GU cards are banged up anyway and there are so few graded)....

Either way, the Pujols Rookie year set is 183 cards and is a Very Challenging Set.....i still havent finished this set and as more and more people collect Pujols, these PSA cards will gain even more....

PS... i got my Bowman Chrome PSA 9 for $650 and KICK myself everyday for not buying more....It beat my stock picks !

Also, when i miss a card numbered to 25 that i dont have, i always regret that i didnt pay MUCH more to get it since some i havent seen for sale again (2001 Fleer Platinum Winnng Combo Materials with Ichiro and Pujols #/25 Game used material from both -- i was underbidder in 2006 for $640 and havent seen one for sale again!)

As far as specific recommendations:

1. 2001 Ultimate Collection #'d to only 250......hardly seen for sale and VERY condition sensitive....from the First ever $100 Pack......a CANT GO WRONG CARD..

2. Fleer Fleer LumberJack AUto..only 100 cards made, with a HUGE game used Bat and Huge Auto!

3.. Of Course the Bowman Chrome AUto, a card that continues to head higher......i wonder if Joe O regrets not Putting this card in his Book.....He has Bonds 1987 Fleer, 1984 Fleer Update Clemens, and Arod 1994 SP instead! can you say second edition....

Collect What you Enjoy!

To Quote McGwire, "sit back and enjoy, we are watching history!"

• Options
    I think his lower priced cards are a good investment, the high priced cards may move up, but most people can't afford them. The comparision to A-Rod isn't fair, A-Rod admitted cheating (probably still is), and still may go in the Hall. If Pujols keeps hitting like he has been for another 10 years he will probably go to the hall.
      Investing in modern players is a crap shoot. You never know what's going to happen, but you will see steady increases in certain cards, and big drop offs in others.
    1. Options
      cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>If Pujols keeps hitting like he has been for another 10 years he will probably go to the hall. >>

Probably go to the hall? If he keeps hitting like this for another 10 years he will have his own wing in the hall.
      Chris
      My small collection
      Want List:
      '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
      Cardinal T206 cards
      Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
    2. Options
      AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
      Three years ago when he got hot for a month his Upper Deck rookie was selling for $100. I don't see his cards going up any more, except for when he is hot. If he goes on a HR hitting spree for a few weeks they will increase 50% on ebay. When the streaks ends they will go back to the baseline. When his career is over they will cool off and be the 89 UD Griffey for us in 2022. There was a big thread why the Jordan Fleer rookie is doomed to drop to $100-$200 soon, so why would Pujols be different? FTR- I don't think the Jordan card or the 89 UD Griffey will drop any lower than they are now, nor will they increase.
    3. Options
      AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
      I also forgot to mention that the other thing that would make Pujols cards really jump is if he went to the Yankees anytime in the next six or seven years. If you remember that was the catalyst for the explosion of A-Rod rookies.
    4. Options
      RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
      The key with cards is that the hype is worth more then the accomplishment.

The prices for pujols already has a built in "greatest player ever" factor.

The prices you see today are based on a given that he will hit 50hr and get 130rbis every year and maybe win another title and rack up a few more mvps. Anything short of being the best player ever will be considered a dissapointment and prices will fall.

Several factors can cause his cards to have a small spike in price. Crazy hitting streak or record chase, NY team like was mentioned earlier etc but long term, his cards can only go down.

The hobby is shrinking, less collectors every year, prices are already unaffordable to avg collectors.

Its easy for a card to go from $5 - $100 and from $100- $500 but getting cards to go from $1000- $3000 is a completely different story.

IMO, there is only one way the prices of psa rookie pujols psa 10s climbs and thats the registry.
      You need a couple of spense type guys to join the fray and start bidding against each other.

I would put the odds of his cards being worth more in 20yrs then they are today at as close to 0 as possible.

The reason cards were such a big of our childhoods for the most part is that it was one of few options for kids. Today with iphone,ipod,internet, video games taking up any free time a kid has i feel like cards in general will all eventually be worth nothing. No new collectors and the hobby dies out.

back to pujols, even the low #'d stuff needs an influx of collectors.
      If there is 500 of a certain RC.

Sure you might say 50,000 people want that RC, there are only 500 so supply/demand dictates the card goes up.

Wanting it and paying $1000+ for it are 2 different beasts.

Dealers support certain price levels because they hope eventually someone will come along and pay a premium however, the important # is what a collector is willing to pay.

I feel like the registry is the only thing keeping prices afloat. Without it, the hobby would see much lower prices. People love sports and love to compete and not everyone can play the sport but anyone with money can buy the best and watch their name move up and feel like they are accomplishing something.

Ok, i'm just rambling now, i gotta go get lunch.
    5. Options
      frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
      One card that I never hear discussed is his base 2001 Donruss Rated Rookie (not the "Baseball's Best" version and not "The Rookies" version. It isn't autographed, or refractored or shiney or anything like that. It is just his base card. However, it is numbered to 500. I never hear anybody mentioning that card. I have it in my team set. It is a tough one to find.

Edited to say: I just searched Ebay and found no active listings. I found one completed listing and it only went for $85. Not sure why. I gave nearly $200 for my PSA 8 a few years ago. This completed listing was raw and the listing did not have a good picture.

Shane

6. Options
      Roger, i disagree strongly!

how mauch was a 1952 Mantle worth 20 years ago?

how much was a honus wagner worth 20 years ago?

how much was a Babe Ruth worth 20 years ago?

the answer is simple...they were worth A LOT LESS 20 years ago... not the case for many JUNK cards , commons, and even minor stars....

cards and players that transcend generations will always be in demand...

baby boomers and thirtysomething collectors are not going anywhere...they are the meat of the hobby and the ones with the money....

they will still be the driving force in 40 years from now....

Pujols is a once in a generation (once in a lifetime) player and his cards have not slowed down in 8 years and i dont see why they would now (remember there are A LOT fewer of is top cards than other immortals)

7. Options

<< <i>Unless the hobble grows, I would have a hard time thinking of any new product as an investment. Pujols rookie auto cards are still getting good dollars, yet one injury, one mistake, one media problem and his cards would soften. If you see a card you like then buy it, but not as an investment. The track record of new material (80s and up) is once the glitter is gone, the price levels in a downward way. Just my 2 cents. >>

I agree
      Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

8. Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless the hobble grows, I would have a hard time thinking of any new product as an investment. Pujols rookie auto cards are still getting good dollars, yet one injury, one mistake, one media problem and his cards would soften. If you see a card you like then buy it, but not as an investment. The track record of new material (80s and up) is once the glitter is gone, the price levels in a downward way. Just my 2 cents. >>

I agree >>

you agree yet you collect 80-89 wax.....hello ? is that hypocritical...

ps..thanks for chiming in..we know you are a bigtime Pujols collector like the OP asked for input from....
    9. Options

<< <i>Roger, i disagree strongly!

how mauch was a 1952 Mantle worth 20 years ago?

how much was a honus wagner worth 20 years ago?

how much was a Babe Ruth worth 20 years ago?

the answer is simple...they were worth A LOT LESS 20 years ago... not the case for many JUNK cards , commons, and even minor stars.... >>

Really? You are comparing the billion Pujols rookie cards printed to limited production cards of 3 of the greatest players to ever live?

Rarity drives the prices of the ones you mentioned. If you only count the Upper Deck Pujols rookie, there were more of them printed then rookies of all 3 you mentioned above combined. That doesn't even count the 100 other different Pujols cards printed in 2001.
    10. Options
      LOL no LSU ...not to quick on the uptake are we....

i refer to Bowman Chrome /500

Ultimate Collection /250

Leaf Limited Jersey /250

Leaf Certified Material /200

Lumberjack Auto /100

Ruth 48 Leaf 700 PSA GRADED (not in existence, GRADED)

Ruth Goudey 2600 GRADED

Bowman 51 mantle 1500 PSA GRADED (many more in sgc)

Topps 52 Mantle 1500 PSA GRADED (many more in sgc)

so you see, Pujols top rookie cards are DWARFED by immortals top cards....

LSU leave this thread alone please.....havent you caused enough trouble on this board....
    11. Options
      RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
      vintage > artificially scare

I would think the higher prices of PSa 10's and low numbered rookies would send collectors more towards nice PSa 9's and attractive base cards, those may increase. Also, how many people have these cards as speculation and we could see an influx of many at once of a perceived "rare" card?
    12. Options

<< <i>vintage > artificially scare

I would think the higher prices of PSa 10's and low numbered rookies would send collectors more towards nice PSa 9's and attractive base cards, those may increase. Also, how many people have these cards as speculation and we could see an influx of many at once of a perceived "rare" card? >>

what would be the reason speculation cards came to the market all at once? i dont follow

ps...most speculation cards have been sold due to AMAZING prices already achieved...most of these cvards are in the hands of Collectors/fans....
    13. Options
      vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a graded Auto usually goes for $650 -$1200 only 3 years ago there were under $200 still... >>

That's not true, quoting from a 3 year old Beckett Graded Card Investor magazine...

2001 Bowman Autographs BA-AP Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $775, MT 9 $900
      2001 Bowman Chrome #340 Albert Pujols AU RC NmMt 8 $3200, MT 9 $5000, Gem 10 $10,000
      2001 Finest Autographs FA-AP Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $475, MT $600, Gem 10 $1000
      2001 SP Chirography AP Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $775, MT 9 $850, Gem 10 $1000
      2001 SPx #206 YS AU RC Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $1000, MT 9 $1500, Gem $2000

None of those cards sell for that anymore, do they? They also specifically list four Ebay sales in 2005 (x2) and 2006 (x2) of Gem Bowman Chrome Auto's all selling for over $11,000.00 each, including a BGS 10 that sold 03/06 on Ebay for $28,510.00.
    14. Options
      For the dude that can not comprehend, here is a list cut and pasted from the Pujols registry. This is a list of his rookie cards. A handful may be limited but most had MILLIONS of them produced:

2001 BOWMAN ALBERT PUJOLS 264 2.00
      2001 BOWMAN CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH ALBERT PUJOLS BA-AP 6.00
      2001 BOWMAN CHROME ALBERT PUJOLS REFRACTOR-AUTOGRAPH 340 10.00
      2001 BOWMAN GOLD ALBERT PUJOLS 264 3.00
      2001 BOWMAN HERITAGE ALBERT PUJOLS 351 2.00
      2001 BOWMAN'S BEST ALBERT PUJOLS 174 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS 156 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-BRONZE 156 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-GOLD 156 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-SILVER 156 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS CAREER STAT LINE 156 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS CAREER STAT LINE-AUTO. 156 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS ALBERT PUJOLS SEASON STAT LINE-AUTO. 156 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 ALBERT PUJOLS 268 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 ALBERT PUJOLS FIRST CLASS 268 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 ALBERT PUJOLS ROOKIE AUTOGRAPH 268 7.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 BOBBLE HEAD CARD ALBERT PUJOLS 5 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 BOBBLE HEAD CARD ALBERT PUJOLS 22 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 DOMINATORS ALBERT PUJOLS DM-4 1.50
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 DOMINATORS ALBERT PUJOLS BAT DM-4 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 FINAL REWARDS ALBERT PUJOLS BAT RW6 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 FINAL REWARDS ALBERT PUJOLS BAT RW8 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 REWARDS ALBERT PUJOLS RW6 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 REWARDS ALBERT PUJOLS RW8 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 ROOKIE CRUSADE ALBERT PUJOLS RC-26 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 ROOKIE CRUSADE ALBERT PUJOLS AUTOGRAPH RC-26 7.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 ROOKIE TEAM ALBERT PUJOLS RT-05 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 SCRAPBOOK ALBERT PUJOLS BAT SB-23 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASS OF '01 YEARBOOK ALBERT PUJOLS YB-23 1.50
      2001 DONRUSS CLASSICS ALBERT PUJOLS 108 4.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASSICS ALBERT PUJOLS SIGNIFICANT SIGNATURES 108 7.00
      2001 DONRUSS CLASSICS ALBERT PUJOLS TIMELESS TRIBUTES 108 5.00
      2001 DONRUSS ELITE ALBERT PUJOLS 156 6.00
      2001 DONRUSS ELITE ALBERT PUJOLS ASPIRATIONS 156 6.00
      2001 DONRUSS ELITE ALBERT PUJOLS STATUS 156 7.00
      2001 DONRUSS ELITE ALBERT PUJOLS TURN OF THE CENTURY-AUTO. 156 9.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIE DIAMOND KINGS ALBERT PUJOLS RDK-3 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIE DIAMOND KINGS ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-BRONZE RDK-3 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIE DIAMOND KINGS ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-GOLD RDK-3 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIE DIAMOND KINGS ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-SILVER RDK-3 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIE TEAM ALBERT PUJOLS RT-05 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIES ALBERT PUJOLS R97 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIES ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-BRONZE R97 2.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIES ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-GOLD R97 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS ROOKIES ALBERT PUJOLS BASEBALL'S BEST-SILVER R97 3.00
      2001 DONRUSS SIGNATURE ALBERT PUJOLS AUTOGRAPHED 151 8.00
      2001 DONRUSS SIGNATURE ALBERT PUJOLS PROOF-AUTOGRAPH 151 8.00
      2001 eTOPPS ALBERT PUJOLS 143 2.00
      2001 FINEST AUTOGRAPHS ALBERT PUJOLS FA-AP 5.00
      2001 FLEER ALBERT PUJOLS 451 2.00
      2001 FLEER AUTHORITY ALBERT PUJOLS 102 2.00
      2001 FLEER AUTHORITY AUTHORITY FIGURE A.PUJOLS/M.McGWIRE AUTHORITY FIGURE 1 1.50
      2001 FLEER AUTHORITY DIAMOND CUTS ALBERT PUJOLS GAME PANTS 2.00
      2001 FLEER AUTHORITY ALBERT PUJOLS ROOKIE PROMINENCE 102 4.00
      2001 FLEER AUTHORITY ALBERT PUJOLS ROOKIE PROMINENCE 25 102 4.00
      2001 FLEER E-X ALBERT PUJOLS 131 5.00
      2001 FLEER FOCUS ALBERT PUJOLS 245 3.00
      2001 FLEER FUTURES ALBERT PUJOLS 224 2.00
      2001 FLEER GAME TIME ALBERT PUJOLS 121 2.00
      2001 FLEER GAME TIME ALBERT PUJOLS EXTRA 121 3.00
      2001 FLEER LEGACY ALBERT PUJOLS 102 4.00
      2001 FLEER LEGACY ALBERT PUJOLS AUTOGRAPH 102 7.00
      2001 FLEER LEGACY ALBERT PUJOLS ULTIMATE LEGACY 102 4.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM A.PUJOLS/D.MENDEZ 301 3.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM ALBERT PUJOLS 435 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM ALBERT PUJOLS 521 2.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM ALBERT PUJOLS PLATINUM EDITION 435 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM ALBERT PUJOLS PLATINUM EDITION 521 2.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM LUMBERJACKS ALBERT PUJOLS GAME BAT 3.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM LUMBERJACKS ALBERT PUJOLS GAME BAT AUTO 8.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO 3 2.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/M.McGWIRE 10 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/S.MUSIAL 34 2.00
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/F.ROBINSON 38 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO BLUE 3 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/M.McGWIRE BLUE 10 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/S.MUSIAL BLUE 34 1.50
      2001 FLEER PLATINUM WINNING COMBINATIONS A.PUJOLS/F.ROBINSON BLUE 38 1.50
      2001 FLEER PREMIUM ALBERT PUJOLS 233 2.00
      2001 FLEER SHOWCASE ALBERT PUJOLS 121 4.00
      2001 FLEER SHOWCASE SWEET SIGS LEATHER ALBERT PUJOLS 8.00
      2001 FLEER SHOWCASE SWEET SIGS LUMBER ALBERT PUJOLS 7.00
      2001 FLEER SHOWCASE SWEET SIGS WALL ALBERT PUJOLS 7.00
      2001 FLEER TRIPLE CROWN ALBERT PUJOLS 309 2.00
      2001 FLEER TRIPLE CROWN ALBERT PUJOLS ROYAL GREEN 309 3.00
      2001 LEAF CERTIFIED MATERIALS ALBERT PUJOLS GAME-WORN HAT 158 5.00
      2001 LEAF CERTIFIED MATERIALS ALBERT PUJOLS GAME-WORN HAT-SAMPLE 158 6.00
      2001 LEAF LIMITED ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY 367 5.00
      2001 LEAF LIMITED ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY-SAMPLE 367 5.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS ALBERT PUJOLS 205 4.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS ALBERT PUJOLS AUTOGRAPHED 205 4.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS FRESHMAN ORIENTATION ALBERT PUJOLS BAT-CLASS OFFICER FO5 4.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS FRESHMAN ORIENTATION ALBERT PUJOLS FRESHMAN BAT FO5 5.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS FRESHMAN ORIENTATION ALBERTO PUJOLS FRSHMN AUTO-BAT FO5 6.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS ALBERT PUJOLS LONGEVITY 205 3.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS SLIDESHOW ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY SS-28 3.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS SLIDESHOW ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY AUTO. SS-28 4.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS ALBERT PUJOLS SS-13 2.00
      2001 LEAF ROOKIES & STARS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS ALBERT PUJOLS SUPER SS-13 3.00
      2001 MLB SHOWDOWN 2001 PENNANT RUN ALBERT PUJOLS 168 2.00
      2001 MLB SHOWDOWN SHOWDOWN STARS ALBERT PUJOLS 1 1.50
      2001 PLAYOFF ABSOLUTE MEMORABILIA BALL HOGGS ALBERT PUJOLS BH22 4.00
      2001 PLAYOFF ABSOLUTE MEMORABILIA BALLPARK SOUVENIRS ALBERT PUJOLS SINGLE OD-41 4.00
      2001 PLAYOFF ABSOLUTE MEMORABILIA ALBERT PUJOLS BASE-SPECTRUM 157 4.00
      2001 PLAYOFF ABSOLUTE MEMORABILIA ALBERT PUJOLS MEMORABILIA-BASE 157 3.00
      2001 POLO GROUNDS PUJOLS ALBERT PUJOLS SHORT BASE HIT PG90 3.00
      2001 SP AUTHENTIC ALBERT PUJOLS 126 5.00
      2001 SP AUTHENTIC CHIROGRAPHY ALBERT PUJOLS AP 6.00
      2001 SP AUTHENTIC CHIROGRAPHY ALBERT PUJOLS GOLD G-AP 6.00
      2001 SP AUTHENTIC ALBERT PUJOLS SP LIMITED 126 8.00
      2001 SP GAME BAT MILESTONE ALBERT PUJOLS 92 2.00
      2001 SP GAME BAT MILESTONE P.O.A. INTERNATIONAL ALBERT PUJOLS I-AP 2.00
      2001 SP GAME BAT MILESTONE P.O.A. INTERNATIONAL ALBERT PUJOLS GOLD I-AP 4.00
      2001 SP GAME-USED ALBERT PUJOLS 85 2.00
      2001 SP GAME USED AUTHENTIC FABRIC ALBERT PUJOLS AlP 3.00
      2001 SPx ALBERT PUJOLS AUTOGRAPHED 206 7.00
      2001 SPx WINNING MATERIALS JERSEY COMBOS A.PUJOLS/J.EDMONDS AP-JE 2.00
      2001 SPx WINNING MATERIALS JERSEY COMBOS A.PUJOLS/J.EDMONDS GOLD AP-JE 2.00
      2001 SPx WINNING MATERIALS JERSEY COMBOS A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO AP-IS 2.00
      2001 SPx WINNING MATERIALS JERSEY COMBOS-TRIPLE DELGDO/ORDNZ/PUJOLS DOP 2.00
      2001 SPx WINNING MATERIALS JERSEY COMBOS-TRIPLE DELGDO/ORNDZ/PUJOLS GOLD DOP 2.00
      2001 STUDIO ALBERT PUJOLS 191 4.00
      2001 STUDIO DIAMOND COLLECTION ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY DC-19 2.00
      2001 STUDIO DIAMOND COLLECTION ALBERT PUJOLS PATCH DC-19 2.00
      2001 STUDIO LEATHER & LUMBER ALBERT PUJOLS LL-23 2.00
      2001 STUDIO MASTER STROKES ALBERT PUJOLS MS-19 3.00
      2001 STUDIO ALBERT PUJOLS PROOF 191 4.00
      2001 TOPPS CHROME ALBERT PUJOLS 596 2.00
      2001 TOPPS CHROME ALBERT PUJOLS RETROFRACTOR 596 7.00
      2001 TOPPS CHROME TRADED A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO T99 1.50
      2001 TOPPS CHROME TRADED ALBERT PUJOLS T247 2.00
      2001 TOPPS CHROME TRADED A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO RETROFRACTOR T99 3.00
      2001 TOPPS CHROME TRADED ALBERT PUJOLS RETROFRACTOR T247 5.00
      2001 TOPPS GALLERY ALBERT PUJOLS 135 2.00
      2001 TOPPS RESERVE ALBERT PUJOLS 103 3.00
      2001 TOPPS RESERVE ROOKIE AUTOGRAPH ALBERT PUJOLS TRA3 9.00
      2001 TOPPS STARS ALBERT PUJOLS 198 1.50
      2001 TOPPS STARS ALBERT PUJOLS ELIMINATION 6.00
      2001 TOPPS STARS ALBERT PUJOLS GOLD 198 4.00
      2001 TOPPS STARS ALBERT PUJOLS ONYX 198 6.00
      2001 TOPPS TRADED A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO T99 1.50
      2001 TOPPS TRADED ALBERT PUJOLS T247 2.00
      2001 TOPPS TRADED A.PUJOLS/ICHIRO GOLD T99 2.00
      2001 TOPPS TRADED ALBERT PUJOLS GOLD T247 3.00
      2001 TOPPS TRADED ROOKIE RELICS TRRAP ALBERT PUJOLS BAT TRRAP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION ALBERT PUJOLS 111 7.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION MAGIC NUMBERS JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS MN-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION MAGIC NUMBERS JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS COPPER MN-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION MAGIC NUMBERS JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS GOLD MN-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION MAGIC NUMBERS JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS RED MN-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION MAGIC NUMBERS JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS SILVER MN-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION ULTIMATE GAME JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS U-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION ULTIMATE GAME JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS COPPER U-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION ULTIMATE GAME JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS GOLD U-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTIMATE COLLECTION ULTIMATE GAME JERSEY ALBERT PUJOLS SILVER U-AP 3.00
      2001 ULTRA A.PUJOLS/B.SMITH 277 2.00
      2001 UPPER DECK ALBERT PUJOLS 295 2.00
      2001 UPPER DECK EVOLUTION ALBERT PUJOLS 92 2.00
      2001 UPPER DECK GOLD GLOVE ALBERT PUJOLS 130 3.00
      2001 UPPER DECK GOLD GLOVE ALBERT PUJOLS FINITE 130 3.00
      2001 UPPER DECK GOLD GLOVE ALBERT PUJOLS LIMITED 130 3.00
      2001 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY LUMBER ALBERT PUJOLS L-AP 2.00
      2001 UPPER DECK PROS & PROSPECTS ALBERT PUJOLS JERSEY 137 4.00
      2001 UPPER DECK PROS & PROSPECTS DUAL BAT A.PUJOLS/C.JONES PP-JP 2.00
      2001 UPPER DECK PROS & PROSPECTS FRANCHISE BUILDING BLOCK A.PUJOLS/M.McGWIRE F18 1.50
      2001 UPPER DECK SWEET SPOT ALBERT PUJOLS 121 4.00
    15. Options

<< <i>

<< <i>a graded Auto usually goes for $650 -$1200 only 3 years ago there were under $200 still... >>

That's not true, quoting from a 3 year old Beckett Graded Card Investor magazine...

2001 Bowman Autographs BA-AP Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $775, MT 9 $900
      2001 Bowman Chrome #340 Albert Pujols AU RC NmMt 8 $3200, MT 9 $5000, Gem 10 $10,000
      2001 Finest Autographs FA-AP Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $475, MT $600, Gem 10 $1000
      2001 SP Chirography AP Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $775, MT 9 $850, Gem 10 $1000
      2001 SPx #206 YS AU RC Albert Pujols NmMt 8 $1000, MT 9 $1500, Gem $2000

None of those cards sell for that anymore, do they? They also specifically list four Ebay sales in 2005 (x2) and 2006 (x2) of Gem Bowman Chrome Auto's all selling for over $11,000.00 each, including a BGS 10 that sold 03/06 on Ebay for $28,510.00. >>

that is a useless reference
    16. Options
      LSU .. what is your major problem? are you anti-social?

you argue points that are so wrong you look so foolish.....

no kidding there are a lot of Pujols rookies, if you want to include every $30 card.....

But why cant you comprehend that some cards are short printed and are worth a lot more...

eventhough there are 100,000 Upper deck cards does that make his other cards less valuable? no, it clearly doesnt....

the demand for the top cards is UNAFFECTED by the large anount of lesser cards....not to difficult to get...

LSU..leave this thread and go back to your ebay store listing fake autos.....
      your reputation is dirt here if you havent figured that out..... you have scared away more PSA board members than anyone ever!
    17. Options
      1952 Topps and t206 cards were thought of as worthless when they were first sold and later became valuable. The vast majority of cards over the past 20 years went in the exact opposite direction

The cool thing about investing is that if someone has a strong opinion and they are smarter than the market, they earn millions
      Tom
    18. Options
      WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
      Scott

All those auto's numbered to whatever are created rarities.

To answer your question regarding a 52 Mantle in mint condition 20 years ago (actually 22)
      sold for 10k.

A Wagner 20 years ago in average condition would have sold for 30k, today that same card goes for 450k
      if you can find one.

Yes Pujols is a great hitter, I don't follow his cards so I can't remark on the investment potential.

Remember another thing these created rarities will be saved in mint condition 52 Mantles and Wagners were not.

Steve
      Good for you.
    19. Options

<< <i>Scott

All those auto's numbered to whatever are created rarities.

To answer your question regarding a 52 Mantle in mint condition 20 years ago (actually 22)
      sold for 10k.

A Wagner 20 years ago in average condition would have sold for 30k, today that same card goes for 450k
      if you can find one.

Yes Pujols is a great hitter, I don't follow his cards so I can't remark on the investment potential.

Remember another thing these created rarities will be saved in mint condition 52 Mantles and Wagners were not.

Steve >>

thats all relative....one end of the scale vs the other.....

also, created rarity or not, the fact of the matter is that there are not a lot of the top cards....nobody is gonna care that the reason they are hard to find is that the company only made a few...

RARE IS RARE...the market doesnt care why they are rare does it????
    20. Options
      IMO it most certainly does care.

Your opinion may differ.

Steve
      Good for you.
    21. Options
      steve

explain how it cares...

what evidence do you have?

has it hurt the prices of Pujols top cards? certainly it hasnt....

and since you dont follow pujols cards, why do we care?
    22. Options
      It's obvious you have a reading comprehension problem dr fandago.

Steve
      Good for you.
    23. Options
      Fandango, Actual sales aren't usually a good indication of reality, you are right. ...and graded RC Auto's were $200 3 years ago and his cards have never gone down in value, I give up.
    24. Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree >>

you agree yet you collect 80-89 wax.....hello ? is that hypocritical...

ps..thanks for chiming in..we know you are a bigtime Pujols collector like the OP asked for input from.... >>

Hey wise guy! I collect 80's wax packs, the WORD IS COLLECT not for investment. If you read the quote it says (I would have a hard time thinking of any new product as an investment ). I agreed with a statement is that a crime.

Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

25. Options

<< <i>

what would be the reason speculation cards came to the market all at once? i dont follow

ps...most speculation cards have been sold due to AMAZING prices already achieved...most of these cvards are in the hands of Collectors/fans.... >>

Investors feeling the card has peaked in value. However there still will be collectors out there to catch the free fall. When a "500$ card" sell for 200$...isnt it now a $200 card?
    26. Options
      What evidence do you have that it doesn't care?

And since this is a public forum I care simply because I can.

Has it hurt the prices of his cards? I dunno, I already said I don't follow his cards.

Steve

Good for you.
    27. Options
      Wow, didn't see this train wreck coming. Yes, sarcasm. The only good investment is the one you buy, low sell high. The OP asked for opinions. Anyone claiming to "know" the future on this thread is full of hoo-ha. Therefore any "opinion" is just that, and by definition can't be wrong.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
    28. Options
      im exiting this thread....

when LSU and Win Pitchers become frequent posters in a thread, you know it aint gonna end well....

Matt, PM with ANY questions, i would love to help out!
    29. Options
      Speaking from experience in stocks and stock options trading, you can always buy something back on the cheap, nothing goes up forever or in a straight line. Vintage cards will hold their value and appreciate slowly (rare, in demand, high profile stars) Pujols has put up great numbers, but he could get hurt tomorrow and not play this season, or he could sleep with Tiger Woods (or his wife) and then all hell would break loose.
    30. Options
      Yeah blame me Scott I simply was giving an opinion and tried to answer 2 of your questions.

Maybe it would be better if you did not reply to Bill and I?

Steve
      Good for you.
    31. Options
      Opinions, does this Pujols look trimmed? image

32. Options

<< <i>and since you dont follow pujols cards, why do we care? >>

And since Pujols uses HGH, why do any of us care?
    33. Options

<< <i>

<< <i>and since you dont follow pujols cards, why do we care? >>

And since Pujols uses HGH, why do any of us care? >>

Now, now, behave, Bill ! image

Shane

34. Options
      I didn't say created rarities were a good thing or a bad thing yet Fandango had to defend them.

Maybe he knows the truth.

(Whatever that may be)

Steve
      Good for you.
    35. Options
      jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
      Does anyone have a 2002 Topps corrected back? Not HTA or any other types the pack / factory set card.
      Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    36. Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a 2002 Topps corrected back? Not HTA or any other types the pack / factory set card. >>

I am wondering the same thing. I have looked and looked and looked and can't seem to find one. I know the HTA has the corrected back. I have yet to confirm that the regular base card has a corrected back, even though PSA flips say it.

Shane

37. Options
      jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
      The SCD big book has it having a corrected back for a whopping 10 bucks.
      Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    38. Options

<< <i>The SCD big book has it having a corrected back for a whopping 10 bucks. >>

I would probably give more than that.

Shane

39. Options
      This thread went well, I told my buddy to purchase a Topps Traded Chrome and call it a day! I appreciate the information that was shared before then thread turned into a train wreck.
    40. Options
      BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>1952 Topps and t206 cards were thought of as worthless when they were first sold and later became valuable. The vast majority of cards over the past 20 years went in the exact opposite direction

The cool thing about investing is that if someone has a strong opinion and they are smarter than the market, they earn millions >>

Well, here's the problem- they don't earn millions if there's no way to short the market. This the fundamental problem with the market for baseball cards; you can't short them, so not all information makes it way into the market price.

This is also why ALL baseball cards are a bad investment. That's not to say that some won't go up, but you have no idea what those cards are right now (nobody has a crystal ball), and the market price is determined exclusively by the people who are the most bullish on the card. If 10000 people think Pujols cards are going to tank, and 2 people think they're going to soar in value, guess what? The opinions of the 10000 bears never make it to market.
    41. Options
      Honestly speaking, if you are talking investment then no. Take a look at it like a stock. A stock's value is based not only on the current production and profit of a company, but also any expected future results too. Pujols Rookies already have a heavy amount of expectations built into their price. You can easily see that with all the talk of 'greatest player ever'. If he fails to live up to this, has any off field issues (like Tiger), or has a career ending injury, the value will falter.

The biggest problem in comparing cards released since Grading became popular with cards released years before that is that there will be little decline in the actual production levels and quality of the cards (so scarcity for the most part is a constant in modern cards). Cards don't get thrown out as often as they used to. Cards don't get mangled or shoeboxed.

In addition, depending on which card you choose to buy, you may face a branding popularity. In this respect we are entering tribulations in the market. Who knows what is going to happen to upperdeck... Think about this in respect to 1950's Bowman or 1961 Fleer... or early 1980's fleer and donruss. There is certainly a supressed value due to lower demand in comparable year cards of similar players.
    42. Options
      Exactly, Boo. When I buy cards, I don't just throw money away. I try to buy based on the current value. But, with that in mind, I buy cards for 2 reasons.

1) I buy large or small collections or even a single card in order to sell pretty quickly to make a little money.

2) I buy cards for my collection. As I've stated before, I would buy and collect cards if there was NO market value for them. However (and here is the main point I was going to make), when I do buy cards for my collection, it is nice to know that if I needed to sell them in an financial emergency, I could sell them. Sometimes I might lose a little, sometimes I might gain a little. The point is, at least for the foreseeable future, they are not worthless. I just bought a card that I've wanted for quite sometime - a 2001 Topps Traded Pujols that is signed and authenticated by JSA. Now, what makes buying an expensive card like that a little bit comforting is that I can probably get my money back any time I wanted to (at least in the near future). It could go up or it could go down.

I just have the philosophy of collecting what I like to collect and not try to buy and hold for an investment. So, in a nutshell, it's either buy for my collection or buy to flip quickly. It's really that simple for me.

Shane

43. Options

<< <i>
      I just have the philosophy of collecting what I like to collect and not try to buy and hold for an investment. So, in a nutshell, it's either buy for my collection or buy to flip quickly. It's really that simple for me. >>

Same here!