Home Sports Talk

The biggest choke job of all time was ?

Choke job by a player....or choke job by a team.

I'm sure this could turn into a debate as to whether that player/team choked, or just by random chance that player/team didn't
finish the job.

My idea of a choke job is when a guy is good at what he does, but just totally blows it. That same principle can apply
to a team as well.

I think of Scott Norwood (Buffalo Bills), Mitch Williams (Philadelphia Phillies), or Chris Webber (Michigan), but
I'm sure there were bigger ones than that.

Comments

• Not sure if any of those should come close to the biggest

In the early 90s, all NFL kickers missed around 40% of all 47-yard field goal attempts

The Blue Jays were down one run with two Hall-of-Fame players and two all-star players coming up

Michigan was losing when the timeout was called, more boneheaded than anything

To me, the biggest choke would have to be giving away a likely win, not losing one that could go either way

Portland losing to the Lakers in 2000 will always be the first one I think of as the definition of choking. Patriots beating the Chargers, then losing to the Colts in 2007 is the other strange twist of choking fate that stands out
    Tom
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Miracle at the Meadowlands?

Steve
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or Scott Hoch (as in choke) missing a two-foot putt in a sudden death playoff that would've won the 1989 Masters. When he missed it, it gave the win to Nick Faldo.

Or maybe Jan van de Velde in the 1999 British Open. Needing only a 6 on the par-4 18th hole at Carnoustie to win the British Open on Sunday, Van de Velde squandered the championship in excruciating fashion, clanging one shot off the bleachers, dumping another into the water, chunking yet one more into a bunker before finally making a triple-bogey 7. He went on to lose in a three-man playoff.

Steve
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    How about in 2004 when the Yankees squandered a three games to none lead, AND were only three outs away from sweeping the Red Sox, AND (I think) had Mariano Rivera who couldn't finish the job? AND it took overtime for the Red Sox to win games 4 and 5.

AND let's not forget that until then, only the 1998 Braves and 1999 Mets came back from 0-3 down to even make it to Game 6; much less actually coming back to win the series.

Well, that's my wife's team. Now let's talk about my team. =) In 1998, the big bad #1 seed (and ranked?) Dukies had a huge 17 point lead with nine minutes and change left in the game, and squandered it to you-know-who. It didn't help that big bad Coach K had burned up all his time outs early (oops!) and you know what the very best part was? Our local newspaper printed a poster of Scott Padgett making a key shot in that game, and lookie who is in the background--why it's Coach K himself, on his knees!!!! I swear on a stack of Bibles/Torahs/Korans/etc; I am NOT making that up.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Yankees up 3 games to none AND with Rivera on the mound
    with a lead AND two outs in the bottom of the ninth AND two
    games back at Yankee Stadium in front of there home crowd
    AND ............

..........well we all know the rest. image

GO SOX !!!!!!!!!!
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Damn Estil - you sure type fast
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately 2004 ALCS when the Yankees lost after having the 3 game lead. image My personal favorite btw...

The January 3, 1993, NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers (also known as "The Comeback") The Houston Oilers leading 35-3 and then allowing Frank Reich to lead those Bills to victory 38-35 in overtime image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Not sure if any of those should come close to the biggest

In the early 90s, all NFL kickers missed around 40% of all 47-yard field goal attempts

The Blue Jays were down one run with two Hall-of-Fame players and two all-star players coming up

Michigan was losing when the timeout was called, more boneheaded than anything

To me, the biggest choke would have to be giving away a likely win, not losing one that could go either way

Portland losing to the Lakers in 2000 will always be the first one I think of as the definition of choking. Patriots beating the Chargers, then losing to the Colts in 2007 is the other strange twist of choking fate that stands out >>

I'm not even sure any of those were chokes. By this definition, anyone who makes a mistake in a pressure situation would be a 'choker', which seems a little inclusive. A choker should be someone (or a team) that basically have something sewn up, and then go into the tank and blow it. Like the '08 Memphis Tigers in the NCAA Finals against Kansas, or the '04 Yankees.

Edit to add: I just realized I did nothing but repeat what Tom said. Sorry 'bout that!
    Umm, in 2007 the Patriots lost to the Giants, not the Colts.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>Damn Estil - you sure type fast >>

Well, the magical comeback of my wife's team in 2004 was the first thing that came to my mind, but I couldn't very well leave out my team, now could I? image

The secret is that in both cases, it wasn't just squandering a big lead, it was also the way they squandered it. image
    WISHLIST
  • No matter how badly the NFL wants to turn our four seasons into one single football season, the calendar still changes in January
    Tom
  • KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    It's gotta be the 2004 Yanks. I still get upset thinking about it. But you have to give credit to Sox for never giving up.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history

• << <i>Definately 2004 ALCS when the Yankees lost after having the 3 game lead. image My personal favorite btw...

The January 3, 1993, NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers (also known as "The Comeback") The Houston Oilers leading 35-3 and then allowing Frank Reich to lead those Bills to victory 38-35 in overtime image >>

Those two would def get my vote for worst chokes ever. I watched that Bills game and i couldnt believe it.
  • yes, women's tennis, but jana novotna in 1993 wimbledon

losing after up 6-7, 6-1, 4-1 and 40-15
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    I can think of a few off the top of my head (in no particular order)...

- the '86 Red Sox (Buckner) letting the Mets win Game 6 of the W.S.
    - the '03 Cubs (Bartman!!!) were five outs away from going to the W.S.
    - the '64 Phillies losing the NL pennant (6-1/2 game lead blown w/12 games left in season)
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    2004...Yankees...ALCS

nough said
  • 2006 dallas mavericks - 2 game lead in the finals, victory looming in the 3rd game against the Heat and then ....
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The January 3, 1993, NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers (also known as "The Comeback") The Houston Oilers leading 35-3 and then allowing Frank Reich to lead those Bills to victory 38-35 in overtime image >>

May you have a REALLY bad case of hemorrhoids and due to so much pain in that region, unable to perform with your girl this weekend.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • def. the spank me's in 04'

• << <i>Or maybe Jan van de Velde in the 1999 British Open. Needing only a 6 on the par-4 18th hole at Carnoustie to win the British Open on Sunday, Van de Velde squandered the championship in excruciating fashion, clanging one shot off the bleachers, dumping another into the water, chunking yet one more into a bunker before finally making a triple-bogey 7. He went on to lose in a three-man playoff. >>

This was the epitome of an individual choke job. After playing 71 holes to grab a 3 stroke lead on the final hole of a major and then post a triple bogey on the final hole to force a playoff with two other players. It was painful to watch. Choosing to hit the driver off the tee and follow that up with other very poor decisions – I can’t think of a worse individual choke job.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Definately 2004 ALCS when the Yankees lost after having the 3 game lead. image My personal favorite btw...

The January 3, 1993, NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers (also known as "The Comeback") The Houston Oilers leading 35-3 and then allowing Frank Reich to lead those Bills to victory 38-35 in overtime image >>

Those two would def get my vote for worst chokes ever. I watched that Bills game and i couldnt believe it. >>

Agreed -- but the 2004 ALCS is a bigger choke beause there were 4 chances not to choke.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definately 2004 ALCS when the Yankees lost after having the 3 game lead. My personal favorite btw... >>

First off that was NOT a choke and if you think it was then your team backed in.

IMO the Sox won 4 straight just to prove to those fans who all but had given up were wrong.

Come on! The Sox outplayed the Yankees for 4 games nothing more nothing less.

Steve

Good for you.
  • No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.
  • Greg Norman opened the final round of the 1996 Masters with a six stroke lead. He lost by five strokes. He didn't wait until the final hole to start choking. he needed the Heimlich from the first tee...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

• << <i>Greg Norman opened the final round of the 1996 Masters with a six stroke lead. He lost by five strokes. He didn't wait until the final hole to start choking. he needed the Heimlich from the first tee... >>

I can't firmly say that I disagree, but there is a difference in blowing a 2 stroke lead with one hole to play as opposed to a 6 stroke lead with 18 to play.

• << <i>First off that was NOT a choke and if you think it was then your team backed in.

IMO the Sox won 4 straight just to prove to those fans who all but had given up were wrong. >>

I'll agree with the first sentence, but I'm sure their desire to win was just as much internal as it was some desire to prove themselves to people they didn't even know

In game four, Rivera was asked to make a six out save, not sure if he did that even once in the regular season. And all he did was give up a walk and a ground ball single -- and a stolen base by a fraction of an inch. To me, that is just being beaten by another good team doing their job. Games five and six the same, the Yankees playing well, we may remember Jeter and Rodriguez being unable to get a hit, but overall the teams were matched completely evenly; just because Schilling and Ortiz were the two to step up, doesn't mean the Yankees regressed. Finally in game seven they unraveled, or at least the two pitchers did.
    Tom
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg Norman opened the final round of the 1996 Masters with a six stroke lead. He lost by five strokes. He didn't wait until the final hole to start choking. he needed the Heimlich from the first tee... >>

Oh god, I forgot about that -- I think that even tops the 2004 ALCS, or is at least a close second. Greg Norman coveted the Green Jacket more than anything else -- he would have probably traded all his claret jugs for one. That was a collapse of epic proportions -- even Nick Faldo felt terrible about it.
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.

It has happened twice in the NHL including a Stanley Cup final, and almost a third time in back-to-back series by the same team.

I remember the years, but Wiki's synopsis below is better than what I could write:

During the 1975 Stanley Cup playoffs, the New York Islanders, playing in their first playoffs since their inception in the 1972–73 NHL season, nearly managed an incredible series of upsets to reach the Stanley Cup Finals. After upsetting the New York Rangers two games to one in the preliminary round, the Islanders found themselves behind the Pittsburgh Penguins three games to none in the best-of-seven series in the quarterfinal round. The Islanders rallied to win the next four games and take the series 4–3. The only other NHL team to accomplish the feat of rallying from a 3–0 game deficit to win, was the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1942 Stanley Cup Finals. In the semifinal round of the playoffs, the Islanders nearly did it again. Rallying from another three games to none deficit, they won the next three games to force a seventh game against the defending Stanley Cup champion Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers took the decisive seventh game at home to win the series and went on to win the Stanley Cup.

• How about Latrell Sprewell and Don Nelson ?
    Collector of anything and everything of the Dallas Cowboys

• << <i>How about Latrell Sprewell and Don Nelson ? >>

That's just wrong, funny, but wrong.

<< <i>

<< <i>The January 3, 1993, NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers (also known as "The Comeback") The Houston Oilers leading 35-3 and then allowing Frank Reich to lead those Bills to victory 38-35 in overtime image >>

May you have a REALLY bad case of hemorrhoids and due to so much pain in that region, unable to perform with your girl this weekend.

image >>

image Sorry Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.

Wrong. But we all know your "knowledge" is rather limited..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tom

My second comment was ummmm, sarcastic.

The Yanks were upset, they did not choke.

After game 3 many of the very people posting here had given up.

IIRC I said something to the effect that it ain't over till it's over.

A choke is when a team or player does not focus on the situation at hand but instead worries about what the outcome will be.

Bill Buckner DID NOT choke in that game where the ball went through his legs. He simply made an error.

The title of this thread should have been greatest upsets of all time if people want to claim anything about what happened in 04.

Donnie Moore may have choked in that series against Boston in 86.

The Cubs might have choked after that kid and about 3 others tried to catch that foul ball, if you remember they made about 3 errors

after that play. Instead of focusing on the task at hand they were probably wondering "oh crap what is going to go wrong now"

Just my humble opinion.

Steve

Good for you.

<< <i>Tom

My second comment was ummmm, sarcastic.

The Yanks were upset, they did not choke.

After game 3 many of the very people posting here had given up.

IIRC I said something to the effect that it ain't over till it's over.

A choke is when a team or player does not focus on the situation at hand but instead worries about what the outcome will be.

Steve >>

I dont know Steve I gotta disagree with your logic on this one.

The Yankees blowing that 3 game lead is choking in my book, an upset is when a team that is heavily favored loses- like my 2007 Pats? Personally I think they choked but you would say they were upset?

And yes I was one of the many guys punching walls and breaking furniture after that Game 3 drubbing.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley don't get nearly the blame they deserve for Game 6.

2 up, 2 outs, nobody on. You almost have to try to blow that.

• << <i>How about Latrell Sprewell and Don Nelson ? >>

Didn't Sprewell grab P.J. Carlesimo's neck?
    << How about Latrell Sprewell and Don Nelson ? >>

Didn't Sprewell grab P.J. Carlesimo's neck?

That is correct. Latrell became a Knick after that incident..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.

Wrong. But we all know your "knowledge" is rather limited..image >>

Ok retard, how many baseball teams came back from 3-0 hoopster? I'm waiting.
    < No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.

Wrong. But we all know your "knowledge" is rather limited.. >>

Retard? Real classy on your part using a term to offend anyone with a family member with developmental disabilities. You just prove what a moron you are with each and every post..

• << <i>< No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.

Retard? Real classy on your part using a term to offend anyone with a family member with developmental disabilities. .. >>

Thats you. I dont call someone with a developmental disability a "retard". Thats 80's'ish.

<< < No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead.

Retard? Real classy on your part using a term to offend anyone with a family member with developmental disabilities. .. >>

Thats you. I dont call someone with a developmental disability a "retard". Thats 80's'ish.

So you're saying that the term "retard" is not offensive? You really are more misguided than I thought.

• I see Axtell is back
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi

<< <i>No other team in history to my knowledge ever blew a 3-0 game lead. >>

There were a couple of NHL teams that did. The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and 1975 New York Islanders (they're the teams that came back from 0-3 down to win though) to be exact.
    WISHLIST

<< <i>The [2004] Yanks were upset, they did not choke. >>

I would have to strongly disagree about calling it an "upset". The Red Sox finished AL Runner-Up the previous year and (I think) 1999 as well. Yes, the Red Sox did have that 1918 curse hanging over their heads but no, I most definitely don't think "upset" is the appropriate term.

Now, if let's say they lost to the Rays (in 2008 instead of the Red Sox losing to them) or lost the World Series to say, the Nationals or the Pirates, then you could call that an upset.
    WISHLIST
  • retarded is as retarded does.

<< <i>I see Axtell is back >>

My thoughts exactly.
    Hey Blacklabelsociety- Lets see....

Jan 2010 you sign up and have 240 posts in which 90% of them are argumentitive, rude & ignorant.

Your throwing stuff out there that only veteran posters would make mention of.

You will be exposed soon enough even if you dont do your routine PM'ing of insults.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has to be the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS. What is perhaps overlooked here is that in game 3 (in Fenway), the Yankees crushed the Red Sox 19-8. I'd say close to 100% of fans/viewers felt this thing was history. As pointed out earlier, it took 2 o/t games to overcome the Yankees.

The Red Sox team was so pumped, the Cards had no shot as they blew through them 4-0.

Perhaps better to categorize the sport, like football, hockey, etc, etc, everyone has their own viewpoint on the subject line. I'm a bit biased because it worked out for my team against the hated Yankee team. BUT, in that moment, at that time, the Yankee team got their asses handed to them BIG TIME.

I loved it beyond words!!! imageimageimage

<< <i>Has to be the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS. What is perhaps overlooked here is that in game 3 (in Fenway), the Yankees crushed the Red Sox 19-8. I'd say close to 100% of fans/viewers felt this thing was history. As pointed out earlier, it took 2 o/t games to overcome the Yankees.

The Red Sox team was so pumped, the Cards had no shot as they blew through them 4-0.

Perhaps better to categorize the sport, like football, hockey, etc, etc, everyone has their own viewpoint on the subject line. I'm a bit biased because it worked out for my team against the hated Yankee team. BUT, in that moment, at that time, the Yankee team got their asses handed to them BIG TIME.

I loved it beyond words!!! imageimageimage >>

Phenominal post AL! image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Has to be the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS. What is perhaps overlooked here is that in game 3 (in Fenway), the Yankees crushed the Red Sox 19-8. I'd say close to 100% of fans/viewers felt this thing was history. As pointed out earlier, it took 2 o/t games to overcome the Yankees.

I loved it beyond words!!! imageimageimage >>

I don't feel like reading through this whole thread, but is there really a need for it? I mean, is there a question mark here? The biggest choke job of all time was the 2004 New York Yankees. Period. It was historic, unprecedented, and perhaps never to be seen again.

The Yankees can buy all the WS titles they want, but nothing can equal how satisfying 2004 was to Red Sox Nation.