Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 2-1 - Guess the grade of this Lafayette Dollar and what you see isn't necessarily what you g

Why my client couldn't understand it when I told him I really liked the coin:

Why my client could understand it:

Comments

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very nice..........MS65?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty great ... I dunno, MS64?

Maybe the pic makes those marks look like a bigger deal than they are. No lower than 64. 65 maybe.

That's really pretty. Out of like 35,000 or however many Lafayette dollars, it seems like about 34,000 of them just suck. This looks very nice.
    mirabela
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess MS64. Pretty coin!
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    AU-58
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    why is that guy holding a corndog?

www.brunkauctions.com

• A PQ 64 in a 64 holder(?). Good strike on the leg, original skin and color. Super luster! (I hate grading from photos).
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the light.... image Cheers, RickO
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>AU-58 >>

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 Nice original coin.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    A nice image is very useful. image

I can see it in a 5 holder.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess MS65, this issue has so many "hit magnet" areas that I think it's unusually nice. I'm just curious as to why some of you (who are way more experienced than I am) called it AU58?
  • Im guessing it has little to do with the grade, and more to do with the Duvall variety?
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    MS65. Nice fields on that coin.image

• << <i>why is that guy holding a corndog?

image >>

Check out the horses hat image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    this is not the Duvall variety......note that the olive branch ends between the zeros (date) and not between the 9 and zero (as the Duvall does)

www.brunkauctions.com

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I'm just curious as to why some of you (who are way more experienced than I am) called it AU58? >>

While even the OP doesn't believe that Guess the Grade threads are viable, he still wanted our opinions.

And my opinion is AU-58 because to me the obverse looks like it has light rub on the central high points.
    Am I correct? I don't know. But the OP will tell you that it's "impossible to accurately grade a coin from an image" (M. Feld)
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Is this a proof? It has an exceptional strike, except for a few
    places on the reverse.
    Not familiar with the 4 varieties, but I compared it to another
    example & they appear slightly different. Wonderful image.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    I take it back,,,it's not a proof,,,I never said it was a proof,,,and besides you didn't
    see me say it anyway!

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    ms 64, all day.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    This is neither meant to lead anyone to the actual assigned grade, nor away from it.....

If I did not already know the assigned grade and were guessing the grade based on the images provided, I would guess solid MS65 with a chance at MS66.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm just curious as to why some of you (who are way more experienced than I am) called it AU58? >>

While even the OP doesn't believe that Guess the Grade threads are viable, he still wanted our opinions.

And my opinion is AU-58 because to me the obverse looks like it has light rub on the central high points.
    Am I correct? I don't know. But the OP will tell you that it's "impossible to accurately grade a coin from an image" (M. Feld) >>

I think we know that we can't determine ACCURATELY the grade of a coin from a photo, but we can have fun trying to. I don't think anyone has said that we can't have fun.image
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS 62
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree- minimum 65 if not 66- This is a coin that usually is plagued with die polish issues and rarely looks as attactive as this one.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• A very nice 64 and could see it in a 65 holder
    Perfect Transactions-Jamericon, bestclser1, DNADave, CoinAuctionsHelp, cucamongacoin, SeaEagleCoins(2), Walkerguy21D, tigermaroo, stainless, keets, pakasmom(2), ELKevvo, joebb1, bstat1020, Hmann, DRUNNER, BigJohnD
    Since MS64 appears to be the most frequently guessed grade thus far, here are images of two PCGS MS64 examples:

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the coin as an MS63. The luster seems diminished slightly. Granted, they don't always come booming but since all we are doing is guessing, that's my guess.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I say 63
  • I'll say MS65 or PQ 64
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Im in with the 64 camp.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • <<this is not the Duvall variety......note that the olive branch ends between the zeros (date) and not between the 9 and zero (as the Duvall does)>>

I thought there were several different positions, i.e. Duvall A, B, C, D...
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well....I'm not going to venture a guess as to the grade; but, NICE PICTURES, Mr. Feld!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<this is not the Duvall variety......note that the olive branch ends between the zeros (date) and not between the 9 and zero (as the Duvall does)>>

I thought there were several different positions, i.e. Duvall A, B, C, D... >>

Is this the kind of information contained on CoinFacts? If it is, I may have to give it a try. I'm all about collecting books, but you just can't have a referece book for everything.
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • <<Is this the kind of information contained on CoinFacts? If it is, I may have to give it a try. I'm all about collecting books, but you just can't have a referece book for everything. >.

Yes and no. I doubt use coinfacts, atleast the one you have to pay monthly for. I have a ton of books I go through like a teenager and a playboy.

I highly recommend going after any books you feel like you might one day like to have. I have more coin books than I do coins at this point.

<< <i>Well....I'm not going to venture a guess as to the grade; but, NICE PICTURES, Mr. Feld!image >>

Thank you, but alas, they are not mine. Dr. Mark Goodman shot them.

I was assuming that you were referring to the second set of images and not the firstimage
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    This is a common variety, not that super rare 4-E. All I can guess from the pictures, is a proof piece, or specimen piece, but the boot does not appear well-defined. Maybe this is a coin with prooflike surfaces.

Edited to say, that maybe all this thread is about is comparing the first pictures with the super pictures by Mark Goodman. Sure, who wouldn't like the coin with those beautiful pictures?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
    It appears that my "what you see isn't necessarily what you get" is throwing a few people off. There is nothing special about the coin, other than it's quality/appearance, as compared to the set of images from the auction it came out of. Sorry for any confusion I caused.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those MS 64 specimans are ugly.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

<< <i>Those MS 64 specimans are ugly. >>

As are many, if not most other MS64's
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Those MS 64 specimans are ugly. >>

As are many, if not most other Lafayettes >>

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you really like it
    because it has the eye appeal of a higher graded coin
    and you were able to get it at a great price???
    LCoopie = Les
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Am I correct? I don't know. But the OP will tell you that it's "impossible to accurately grade a coin from an image" (M. Feld) >>

Stone, thanks for an explanation of your opinion. I just viewed this thread, as I do most threads, as a learning opportunity. Kaz
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with MS64
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • The coin is NGC/CAC MS64. It is one of the cleaner/nicer/better looking MS64 Lafayette Dollars I have seen.

As mentioned previously by various respondents, many, if not most are ugly and or fairly badly abraded. Apparently someone else liked it a lot also, as I had to pay a hefty $2990 for it. By way of comparison, here are the prices realized for the previous six NGC or PCGS MS64's sold by Heritage:

NGC MS64 $1610 Oct. 2009
    NGC MS64 $2300 Oct. 2009
    PCGS MS64 $2070 Sept. 2009
    NGC MS64 $1667 Aug. 2009
    PCGS MS64 $2070 Aug. 2009
    PCGS MS64 $2415 Aug. 2009

• mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    So, coins with the same grade are not equal, in quality and price. Coins with same grade can be double the price of each other.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, coins with the same grade are not equal, in quality and price. Coins with same grade can be double the price of each other. >>

The trouble is that most dealers will pull out the Grey Sheets or Blue Sheets to make a buy offer and the chances of getting back a big premium that was paid for a "PQ" coin is quite slim.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>

<< <i>So, coins with the same grade are not equal, in quality and price. Coins with same grade can be double the price of each other. >>

The trouble is that most dealers will pull out the Grey Sheets or Blue Sheets to make a buy offer and the chances of getting back a big premium that was paid for a "PQ" coin is quite slim. >>

As you said, "most dealers", but certainly not all of them. And there is always the choice of offering such cons to other collectors and/or via public auction. I believe that the latter is, far more often than not, the best place to sell truly PQ coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file