Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 2-1 - Guess the grade of this Lafayette Dollar and what you see isn't necessarily what you g

2»

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, coins with the same grade are not equal, in quality and price. Coins with same grade can be double the price of each other. >>

The trouble is that most dealers will pull out the Grey Sheets or Blue Sheets to make a buy offer and the chances of getting back a big premium that was paid for a "PQ" coin is quite slim. >>

Depends on who you deal with. I've found that the dealers who consistently stock premium examples (original, solid+ for the grade, etc.) will also pony up to get the right coins in their inventory. The guys who just pay sheet tend to get shlock, but may every once in a while get a nice coin at a low price.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin is NGC/CAC MS64. It is one of the cleaner/nicer/better looking MS64 Lafayette Dollars I have seen.

As mentioned previously by various respondents, many, if not most are ugly and or fairly badly abraded. Apparently someone else liked it a lot also, as I had to pay a hefty $2990 for it. By way of comparison, here are the prices realized for the previous six NGC or PCGS MS64's sold by Heritage:

NGC MS64 $1610 Oct. 2009
    NGC MS64 $2300 Oct. 2009
    PCGS MS64 $2070 Sept. 2009
    NGC MS64 $1667 Aug. 2009
    PCGS MS64 $2070 Aug. 2009
    PCGS MS64 $2415 Aug. 2009 >>

I think Bill Shamhart has a NGC 64 on his site for $5000 and I think it's priced right. Most 64's are not created equaly. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file