Home Precious Metals

New 5 once bullion

My 1st post. You are planet Welcome

I found this on the US Mint site. Has anyone else heard about these? There is no release date about them.
Will PCGS grade a coin that large? Is anyone else interested in them? I think they sound like a cool idea, but than I might be too new at PM.

Silver Bullion Quarters
The United States Mint will also mint and issue unique silver bullion quarter-dollar coins that are exact duplicates of each of the America the Beautiful Quarters. The bullion coins will be made of .999 fine silver, have a diameter of three inches and weigh five ounces. The fineness and weight will be edge-incused on the bullion coins. The United States Mint will issue these coins under the America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin™ Program. Each silver bullion coin will be available for sale during the year in which its corresponding circulating quarter-dollar coin is issued.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/NSQuartersProgram/

Newt

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are planet Welcome >>

• This is going to be a tricky coin to predict. Normally, in order for a freshly released US Mint coin to experience gain, it has to be part of a larger series, and there needs to be something special about it in addition to it having a lower mintage than most coins in the series. In other words, it needs to be a requirement for the series. I.E. 1995-W Silver Eagle, all the W minted 2008 Buffalo Coins, the Matte Proof Kennedy half-dollar, and the reverse proof Gold and Silver eagles. The 5oz silver coins are something new entirely, and my gut tells me they are going to be a dud. If they really wanted a winner, they should have made the coins out of 90% gold, and kept them the same size as the reqular quarter. That way, the coins could have been collected along side of each other.
  • The designated PM distributor's will probably cull the best examples for grading to sell for top dollar and dump the rest on the public as (expensive) bullion. IMO the Mint is doing a great disservice to their loyal collectors. It does however give them an out if there is poor availability. The PM distributor's will be the big winners.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The designated PM distributor's will probably cull the best examples for grading to sell for top dollar and dump the rest on the public as (expensive) bullion. IMO the Mint is doing a great disservice to their loyal collectors. It does however give them an out if there is poor availability. The PM distributor's will be the big winners.

Bingo! True on all counts! I couldn't have said it better.

Added:

Welcome, Newt!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Wonder what kind of mark-up the mint will be charging the "chosen few" distributors?
    If premiums over spot aren't TOO much, I wouldn't mind having maybe 1 of each.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Welcome aboard! image

Your icon came to me from Tyler (Arco). Can't remember whose pic it is but probably not taken by me as it looks too good!!
    No comment on the new bullion - I'll have to wait and see on these.

Randy
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Planet welcome ~ nanu nanuimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I see what they want for them, then I'll decide if I want to collect them. If the premium over melt isn't too high, it may be an interesting way to buy some silver on a regular basis in addition to being an interesting collectible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that anything from the mint is gonna be expensive, if silver is 10, I bet these 5 oz rounds will cost like 20/oz
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You are planet Welcome >>

image >>

???? I am planet wondering too. Welcome in any case Newt!

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a sneaking suspicion that these hockey pucks will not be retailed at "bullion" prices.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • image planet to you too
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image planet to you too >>

Top of the planet to you!

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

My guess is these will be $200. I'll get 1 for the heck of it but if by chance they come in at $150 I'll buy 2!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *If* they are intended by the government to be bullion coins, and *if* they are minted to demand, and *if* they are distributed in a manner similar to the way Silver Eagles are distributed, then I expect that these coins will have percentage premiums similar to the premium on Silver Eagles.

If these circumstances hold, I also expect that none of these coins will be particularly scarce.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>*If* they are intended by the government to be bullion coins, and *if* they are minted to demand, and *if* they are distributed in a manner similar to the way Silver Eagles are distributed, then I expect that these coins will have percentage premiums similar to the premium on Silver Eagles.

If these circumstances hold, I also expect that none of these coins will be particularly scarce. >>

Agree with this scenario. If these are intended as bullion coins, they will not be particularly rare but some designs will inevitably be scarcer than others and the marketeers will hype those issues resulting in retail prices for those isses well above their bullion value not unlike the 1996 ASE's.

• Thanks everyone for Welcoming me to your Planet. I've been lerking for Gold Pressed Latinum in the Mutra Sector.

My guess was 200.00 also at todays spot. But what do I know I'm just a simple Newt. And yes the Bullion tag seems sneaky if they are not to be sold as bullion. will there be Proof versions? I think they all should be encapsulated if they are going to be way over spot.
    I also wonder if the new 5 once bullion will be limited to one per house hold?

Moneycollector, I just picked an icon from the list. I did not see it untill today when you pointed it out. I'll change to something more Newt like later.

Thanks again
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Becky
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess...$4.99 over spot per ounce ....

I'm sure APMEX will sell them when they become available.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • For anyone interested here is a link to the legislation authorizing the coins and the 5 oz bullion versions.

ubl456.110">AMERICA'S BEAUTIFUL NATIONAL PARKS
    Bob

• The link above didn't load normally and every time I try to edit it I get an error message telling me the admin has been notified. Will have to try again later.
    Bob

Hopefully they won't come in fancy oversized boxes like the UHR coins. If you collect the entire series, you don't need storage to become a major headache.

<< <i>Hopefully they won't come in fancy oversized boxes like the UHR coins. If you collect the entire series, you don't need storage to become a major headache. >>

I somewhat doubt that, since only authorized distributors will be able to sell them. Again, you will not be able to purchase them directly from the Mint which should avoid the fancy boxes.

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully they won't come in fancy oversized boxes like the UHR coins. If you collect the entire series, you don't need storage to become a major headache. >>

I somewhat doubt that, since only authorized distributors will be able to sell them. Again, you will not be able to purchase them directly from the Mint which should avoid the fancy boxes. >>

I was thinking if the mint started selling them in proof similar to the ASE's and AGE's.

<< <i>I was thinking if the mint started selling them in proof similar to the ASE's and AGE's. >>

That would require approval from Congress.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I like the fancy UHR box.

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Welcome Newt!!
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • We are talking 250 oz over 11 years, which isn't much except for the collector on a budget. But if you consider a guesstimated price $200 a pop...$1000 a year or $11000 for the series (provided silver stays level) that doesn't seem like a great investment to me. If you're really into the parks, then that is fine.

I'd hope they are more in line with say Australia's lunar series. Those 5 oz'ers are going for 101-105 (currently @ Gainesville).

Really too bad the Mint isn't selling them direct. The collectors could have put a subscription on them and not worry about missing any.

• << <i>But if you consider a guesstimated price $200 a pop...$1000 a year or.... >>

If these are minted strictly as bullion coins then the $200 guesstimate is likely way too high. Some other posters are suggesting $4.99 over spot which would put these at about $110/ea today.

At $110 I'd buy several of each design. At $200 a pop, it would be a couple here and there for me.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I will bet these will be yet more over priced Mint product that will have poor return in the future. I will be passing!

PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!
  • They would really have to "Wow" me and even then I'd probably just get the ones I like. Too many other, better, ways to acquire silver without stiff premiums.