Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Final mintage for 2009 Lincoln Cent Lp4 P's

It looks like a measly 129 million 2009 Lincoln PResidency P Pennies were minted as opposed to 284 million Log Cabin P's, 376 million Formative P's, and 316 million Professional LIfe P's. WIth Log Cabin P's selling on ebay for $110 to $120 for a 50 roll bank box with shipping I'm wondering how high these Presidency Pennies can go. Anyone else exicted about these LP4 P's??

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Temporary fever... it will all abate soon. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, only 129 million mintedimage

Line up now before they are all gone. image

I've heard that the worst problem is that the government is holding a number of these in storage and it's hard to get rolls which makes hard for the dealers to offer these coins. I've heard of numbers as high as $14 a roll. That won't last. Like most hot items, a year from now collectors will have moved on the next new item, and the prices will settle down.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been getting them in change. Do not seem hard to find for me. Do people even try to consider how many 129,000,000 is? Sure it is less than 1,000,000,000 but it is still a pretty big number.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    The fed is holding the P's back from what I hear, whereas the D's are being distributed in large quantities. I'm not looking to hold these for 10 or 20 years, but there seems to be a mid-term investment opportunity. The 2009 dimes and nickles are being held in the Fed vaults and right now they are fetching $40 a roll. If the Lp4 P's went to $400 a bank box that is only $8 a roll (yes, funny only $8 a roll, but relative to the 2009 dimes and nickles at $40 a roll that is cheap), so I'm seeing a mid term investment opportunitiy to buy these lp4 boxes at $180 and reselling them a few months from now for what I hope is $300 or $400 a box. I figure the 2010 pennies will begin to take distribution precedence over the 09 pennies when they are released less than 4 weeks from now, so it is beginning to look like the Fed might be done distributing the 09 LP 4 P's for a while. When I invest I always look at risk and if the log cabin p's are selling for $120 a box and if the presidency p's had less than half the mintage of the log cabins there seems to be a solid floor there where these won't go much lower than where they are right now. I think the lp4 p's are going to be the home run of the series.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im as excited about these pennies as when I stand under the neighbors huge oak tree in late august and see the first leaf fall.

I know by the middle of november Ill have raked up and filled twenty five large yard bags full of them.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im as excited about these pennies as when I stand under the neighbors huge oak tree in late august and see the first leaf fall.

I know by the middle of november Ill have raked up and filled twenty five large yard bags full of them. >>

Very poetic!

As to the number, 129 million is less than one penny for every two people. In other words, each of us is going to have to fight someone else to get our penny. I'm going to pick someone smaller than me!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, to put things on perspective, the last coin I got in was an 1870-S Gold Dollar. Theres about 150 of those. So, thats one for every two million people. (and its not full of black pool spots either)

That would be FOUR for the entire population of New York City

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file