Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium; Sell, or Hold?

The reason I'm asking this is I was able to get a PAMP 1 oz Palladium Bar for $375 today. Should I sell it and try to get $450-$460 or hold on to it? I'm curious of the board's opinion.

Andy

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    sell
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>The reason I'm asking this is I was able to get a PAMP 1 oz Palladium Bar for $375 today. Should I sell it and try to get $450-$460 or hold on to it? I'm curious of the board's opinion.

Andy >>

Hold it. I am holding my 2 Palladium Maple Leafs!
    I may sell them if Pd goes to $1000!
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sell >>

Why do you say that?
  • Options
    Profit is $ in hand. Palladium is not that popular yet if it ever catches on. JMO

Take that $ and buy a 1/4oz AGE & 1/10oz AGE.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I found out a while back PD is hard to sell. I was trying to sell some a month ago and couldn't give it away it seemed. Be ready to sell @ spot price or below. Aparently you don't get the $30 premium when selling unless you use eBay, Then they get it. I was trying to sell when spot was $400-$415, priced @ spot and no takers. Received a few offers for $30 under spot. In the end I traded it for silver.
  • Options

<< <i>Profit is $ in hand. Palladium is not that popular yet if it ever catches on. JMO

Take that $ and buy a 1/4oz AGE & 1/10oz AGE. >>

You are right, you will never regret a profit.

The point is that you may be always able to buy a 1/4+1/10 oz AGE, but the PAMP Pd bars don't come that often in the market at a good price. JMHO.

If the OP likes the bar, $80 profit shouldn't be a big deal. Again, JMHO.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I've decided to drastically increase my position in palladium. I know it comes at the expense of silver I'd accumulate, but I feel it's best to increase my palladium:silver ratio. I would buy more gold but it's just too boring.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>I've decided to drastically increase my position in palladium. I know it comes at the expense of silver I'd accumulate, but I feel it's best to increase my palladium:silver ratio. I would buy more gold but it's just too boring.

imageimageimage >>

Hey Jester, you are up early!

If you are bored, you may want to switch to Rodhium! image
  • Options
    Yes, one of the babies woke me up and I can't get back to sleep. image So PM forum time!! image

Rhodium I don't think is for me at this juncture, and the designs are uninspiring.

The truth is, palladium is extremely rare and thus I believe it has a decent potential for vast price increases. Also, it costs much less than gold, so I can buy many more ounces of it versus gold, and believe it's very underpriced.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I will be in that situation in few months! image

I was just kidding, the designs are nothing special and the premium is way too much.

Maybe Nobium? (I own it and it's actually nice - don't even know what niobium is, though!)

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    flip it and use the profit to put into 90% or silver bullion! Silver is a metal that is highly desirable, pd has a small following.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Matteo, you'll get your due in a few months! And then let me know when you get two of the little monsters! LOL

That's a pretty hue of metal! I'll have to look into that.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options

<< <i>flip it and use the profit to put into 90% or silver bullion! Silver is a metal that is highly desirable, pd has a small following. >>

Actually, I have to agree with this advice. The only reason I'm accumulating palladium is because I think after many thousands of ounces of silver, it's time for some more palladium.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Ciccio I just saw a few coins somewhere, maybe eBay, I'm not sure, but what "little" research I did do, isn't nobium more of an alloy or industrial metal used in alloying other metals. I'm not sure, but inquiring minds want to know.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    Google search:

"Niobium (pronounced /naɪˈoʊbiəm/ nye-OH-bee-əm) (Greek mythology: Niobe, daughter of Tantalus), or columbium (/kəˈlʌmbiəm/ kə-LUM-bee-əm), is the chemical element with the symbol Nb and the atomic number 41. A rare, soft, grey, ductile transition metal, niobium is found in the minerals pyrochlore, the main commercial source for niobium, and columbite.

Niobium has physical and chemical properties similar to those of the element tantalum, and the two are therefore difficult to distinguish. The English chemist Charles Hatchett reported a new element similar to tantalum in 1801, and named it columbium. In 1809, the English chemist William Hyde Wollaston wrongly concluded that tantalum and columbium were identical. The German chemist Heinrich Rose determined in 1846 that tantalum ores contain a second element, which he named niobium. In 1864 and 1865, a series of scientific findings clarified that niobium and columbium were the same element (as distinguished from tantalum), and for a century both names were used interchangeably. The name of the element was officially adopted as niobium in 1949.

It was not until the early 20th century that niobium was first used commercially. Brazil is the leading producer of niobium and ferroniobium, an alloy of niobium and iron. Niobium is used mostly in alloys, the largest part in special steel such as that used in gas pipelines. Although alloys contain only a maximum of 0.1%, that small percentage of Niobium improves the strength of the steel. The temperature stability of niobium-containing superalloys is important for its use in jet engines and rocket engines. Niobium is used in various superconducting materials. These superconducting alloys, also containing titanium and tin, are widely used in the superconducting magnets of MRI scanners. Other applications of niobium include its use in welding, nuclear industries, electronics, optics, numismatics and jewelry. In the last two applications, niobium's low toxicity and ability to be coloured by anodisation are particular advantages."
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>flip it and use the profit to put into 90% or silver bullion! Silver is a metal that is highly desirable, pd has a small following. >>

Actually, I have to agree with this advice. The only reason I'm accumulating palladium is because I think after many thousands of ounces of silver, it's time for some more palladium.

imageimageimage >>

Mike is it easy to get Palladium in Poland or do you just buy it on the internet???
  • Options
    If you have a lot of silver, doesn't hurt to just keep the PD as a way to diversify, but if you don't have a lot of silver, buy and flip the PD as a way to increase your silver holdings.

I was able to buy some 90% recently for 8.2x, I could have kept it but i chose to sell it for 12.5x and get the money I put into it back AND got to keep a few fv for free.

Now I will have the money back so this Saturday I can go to the flea market and see if there are anymore great deals. PLUS its great getting silver for free!

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Thank you gsa1fan, I was too lazy to do it myself.
    One curiosity: the niobium changes his color depending on the temperature you treat it (or something like that - forgive me, it's hard for an italian to do researches and explain them in english! image )

The Austrian Mint has a whole series of niobium coins. The 2009 one is yellow.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

imageimageimage >>

Mike is it easy to get Palladium??? >>

You can get it by placing an order with a precious metals dealer, and the premium ranges from 70-100%. Otherwise, it's unavailable.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Ciccio! How do you "threat" a coin? Do you scream at it or put a knife to it to scare it? image

HAHAHA j/k I think you mean treat it? imageimageimage

• Options

<< <i>Ciccio! How do you "threat" a coin? Do you scream at it or put a knife to it to scare it? image

HAHAHA j/k I think you mean treat it? imageimageimage >>

I just edited! You are too fast catching my mistakes!!
  • Options
    hahahahaah, don't edit it, people will wonder what I am talking about and think I am crazy or something image

hey send me a pm and share what you have gotten lately image

• Options
    I got nothing! My wife is back home and the bank account has been duly sealed!

I will stop by my B&M this saturday to see if they have some nice bars. I have some offshore accounts...LOL

Actually, before she got back I bought 2 prospectors on eBay: 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz. image
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i>hahahahaah, don't edit it, people will wonder what I am talking about and think I am crazy or something image

hey send me a pm and share what you have gotten lately image >>

That's why you use this handy quote feature image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may not be a "huge" market for Palladium now, but I think that will change. ETF's for Palladium is now available, and on a % basis, Palladium has more than doubled since it's low in Jan of 2009. Ebay is still your best source, unless your BIN is overpriced. Average selling price is $30 - $35 above spot on the bay. Unless you need the $$$, I would hold on to it, because I believe Pal. still has lots of room for further gains.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I think palladium has a lot of potential, but the prices historically have been very volatile. If this is your only palladium then I would keep the bar and see if it goes above $600. The profit you could make on it right now is pretty small -- $75 or $80 -- it's almost not worth the trouble.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am somewhat troubled by the fact that I still have no palladium.image

I've watched while the darned stuff has doubled, and then I have to remember - I didn't blow the money on wine, women and song (another possible mistake), instead - I bought some 2009 American Eagles.

I think that we are truly heading into a time when prices will be gyrating all over the place. That should make cohodk extremely happy (the trigger happy trader that he is), but in my own case it boils down to on-the-fly decisions over which metal to buy.

Help me make the case for palladium. Can anyone tell me any industrial applications in which palladium is superior to platinum on the basis of something other than price? I'm talking about performance properties. Does anyone have any insight here?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    jmski --

I can't directly answer your question, but I would question the premise the palladium prices will, in the future, largely be driven by industrial applications. there is a tiny amount of palladium in the world, and with the new palladium ETF now trading, I think investment demand will be a huge determinant of price. the day they announced the ETF had been approved, prices jumped over 10%, and continued upward from there.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Help me make the case for palladium. Can anyone tell me any industrial applications in which palladium is superior to platinum on the basis of something other than price? I'm talking about performance properties. Does anyone have any insight here? >>

Palladium uses

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Keep that one and buy some more. Unless you want to be long the U.S. dollar or have a better use for the money, I wouldn't sell. Put it away, add to it, and save your heirs some headaches down the road.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you gsa1fan, I was too lazy to do it myself.
    One curiosity: the niobium changes his color depending on the temperature you treat it (or something like that - forgive me, it's hard for an italian to do researches and explain them in english! image )

The Austrian Mint has a whole series of niobium coins. The 2009 one is yellow. >>

The process you are referring to is "anondizing". It's when the metal is connected to an electric circuit and becomes an "anode" in an electrolytic cell. This results in a layer of oxidation to form on the surface, and the thickness of this layer, in the case of niobium, determines what color you get. It's basically a technical term for "controlled rusting". image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.