Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could be burried with one coin what would it be?

When it comes time for you to meet your maker, if you could be burried with one coin what would it be?

planchet

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Brian Vaile's 1974-D 40% Silver Planchet IKE! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Canadian $1 million Maple Leaf image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my last cent.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My makers are both passed. But I have often thought about what I would want with me. And then I think about what a shame it would be to take anything with me at all. It is not like I am really going to miss it.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather leave my coins to my family. Where I'm going, a coin would probably melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Where I'm going, a coin would probably melt.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Lets see.........I'm 61 so I guess I'd like to be buried with a 2050 nickel.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'm buried in quite a few coins right now...
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    A French 20 Franc gold coin with the angel.

imageimage
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pointless waste of money - they are strictly the province of the living. No coins wanted.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of chain cents links up over my eyelids would do fine.
  • Options
    Some of those chocolate gold coins from Israel. Never know what the food is like on the other side.
  • Options
    To the thread starter:

Did you enjoy "owning" that 1 favorite coin of yours? Did it bring you happiness and joy the entire time you had the pleasure of "owning" it? The reason I put that word in quotations is that we really never "own" anything. When it comes to coins especially, we are simply long term curators. It is our job/mission....at least it should be....to protect and preserve these coins so that future coin collectors may experience the same gratifying feelings that we have been able to feel. To bury a coin with your corpse would be to commit numismatic sin...or at the very least extreme selfishness.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor has it that a zinc cent will decompose right before your eyes.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would rather leave my coins to my family. Where I'm going, a coin would probably melt. >>

Yep...image
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing. In fact, I want to be stripped of all valuables and buried naked in a $100 pine box, or better yet, be cremated on a funeral pire like the Norse people used to do. That would be cool. image
  • Options
    An obulus, in case the ancient Greeks were right and you have to pay passage to the ferryman Charon.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant pick one so I am not going to die. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I ain't going unless I have a hot pastrami on rye in my hand,

a bottle of cream soda by my side and a good, crisp, garlic pickle

in my mouth. Also I want the coffin filled to the brim, with jelly

donuts in assorted flavors and toppings.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I would like to be burried in a PCGS slab-like coffin.
  • Options
    Probably one of my UHR since it's my favorite coin image maybe put one on each eye so i can cross the river image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd need something non-metal...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>An obulus, in case the ancient Greeks were right and you have to pay passage to the ferryman Charon. >>

334b. His fare is not accepted in the great ship;
    334c. the palace of the Great cannot ward him off from the way of the œḥd.w-stars.
    335a. Behold, therefore, N. has attained the heights of heaven.

445a. To say: O Hrti of Nsȝ.t, ferryman of the ’Iḳh.t-boat, made by Khnum,
    445b. bring this (boat) to N. N. is Seker of R-Œtȝ.w.
    445c. N. is on the way to the place of Seker, chief of Pdw-š.
    445d. It is our brother who is bringing this (boat) for these bridge-girderers (?) of the desert.

This is some of the oldest writing in the world but gets scant attention. It is usually interpreted to be incantation.

I have no clue what a "fare" might be. I doubt it's a token. image Most of the rest seems easy enough to figure out.

The Greeks got most of their pantheon from the Egyptian enneads.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/pyt/index.htm

"Buried" has a single "R" in it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    I have several religious art rounds - one with a nice cross, another with the Lord's prayer, and forgot what other is. One or two of these would be nice -- I do like a simple cross.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I would like to be burried in a PCGS slab-like coffin. >>

Genuine "Cleaned, Altered Surfaces"
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    My pocket peice Morgans that I have carried around for years.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to be burried in a PCGS slab-like coffin. >>

Ok but no guaranteed replacement if you tone later.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naughty all the whilst pushing the daisies me thinks:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing... how ridiculous. When you are dead, you are DEAD!!! For some reason, many peoply do not seem to understand the finality of death. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    From what I've read, a lot of people are already buried with their coins.... image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing... how ridiculous. When you are dead, you are DEAD!!! For some reason, many peoply do not seem to understand the finality of death. Cheers, RickO >>

Oh I understand that finality but I also understand about having a little fun discussing stupid stuff!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "I'm buried in quite a few coins right now... "

Probably too early for the 'post of the year', but that's the best one I've heard yet, anyway.

I would think it a shame to deprive future collectors of the enjoyment of owning any of my coins by burying them. Instead, I would like to be buried with a bottle of my favorite scotch, preferably one that has not been passed through any of my friends kidneys first. image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    A Higley, Value me as you please image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file