Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Full body scans at airports. Will it affect those traveling with coins?

I rarely travel with high value coins so other than serious privacy concerns, this will not affect me. Will this have any potential affect on the traveling coin dealer. One incident comes to mind a few years ago when a prominent dealer disclosed after the fact that he flew cross country with a million dollar plus coin tucked in his shirt pocket.

Comments

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    Only if you have them sewn into your shorts !!!

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is it probably won't, but if you get called in you still should have the right to demand a private search.

Years ago the metal detectors at the Providenct, RI Airport were super sensitive. I was traveling with a 1796 Not Stars quarter eagle that was worth $85,000 at the time. I got pulled over, and I "flashed" the coin at them very quickly and got through. If you have a bag a material, you need to aske for a private search.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they ask to look through my bags, I go private screening, no problems.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think,
    and I hope
    they are not looking for coins.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are looking close enough to tell you have a coin on you be thankful they are doing what we pay them for. If they don’t catch it change flights.

• Options
    I always get called in to search my bags, just ask for a private room and there are never any issues
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    It seems to be about half the time they want to look through things. A private screening is not a problem and is a passengers right to request. No changes for those carrying coins as carry on.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>If they are looking close enough to tell you have a coin on you be thankful they are doing what we pay them for. If they don’t catch it change flights.

image >>

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Don't put your coins in body places you wouldn't want your Granny to check.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Unless you're planning to tape your coins to your body the scanners won't affect your ability of carry coins with you.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Only if you have them sewn into your shorts !!!

Bob >>

.......image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

......the safest place is your luggage. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    I put my coins in my carry on, it gets scanned and no one has ever said anything or asked me to take them out. Keeping them on your person is, IMHO, just going to call attention to them.
  • Options
    If I go through with a silver eagle in my pocket, will I get to see lady liberty naked ! image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Only if you have them sewn into your shorts !!!"

Is there any other way to travel with your rare coins?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket"?
  • Options
    I had a feeling that this thread would degrade as the afternoon wore on. image

Wonder if Laura Legend has any input on the subject?
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>I had a feeling that this thread would degrade as the afternoon wore on. image
    >>

I thougt it would degrade much sooner image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always put my '13 nickel ands '33 double eagle in the coin tray and send it through with no problem.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a feeling that this thread would degrade as the afternoon wore on. image

Wonder if Laura Legend has any input on the subject? >>

The largest companies use an armored courier service like Brinks or Dunbar. Though expensive overall, it's the safest way to transport large volumes of high value items.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always walk around with a roll of quarters in my pocket. I call it trolling............Ah the joys of being single............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I've had the x-ray guys say "What is that coins?" to which I politely reply, 'Yea, so my pocket change won't set off the metal detector". --Jerry
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I had the X-Ray person ask once as well. I had multiple PCGS boxes full in my carry on. I can imagine it looks interesting on an X-Ray.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only ask for a private screening if they want to go through the bag.... often they just pass it through the xray and do not question it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Fortuna gold bar that set off the scanner in my carry on luggage - oh yes, and that was the Flight 253 from Amsterdam last week, two days before the infamous attempted blow up of the airliner. I though security was tight, guess it was if you didn't have a real bomb.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file