Home Precious Metals
Options

If you were buying 90% silver coins...

and wanted to make it worth your while; how much would you pay for face? Dimes? Quarters? Halfs? Dollars?
Percent of spot?

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    not understanding the question. If I was buying 90%, I'd want it as cheap as possible but thats not always possible. 12x is a good price right now. Lately at the flea market I've gotten some 90% at 8-9x which is very great.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I agree with mkman123... 12x face is about the going rate right now. You will have to pay a little more for halves, silver dollars start at 15.00 for low grades and it goes up from there as condition improves.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    Cone10, thanks for addressing the denoms. Halves like WLH go for a little more, barbers and slqs also go for more. Aim if possible to get BU 90% as some stores charge the same price and usually you can resell BU 90% here or on ebay for a little more if you ever decide to resell.

I make getting 90% fun by cherrypicking the 90% I want so if I am wanting some SLQs, I go and pick the best ones that I can find. Also I choose a little of everything, barber dimes, mercs, roosies, slqs, barber quarts, washies, wlh, barber halves, frankies, kennedies, proof 90%, etc. Why? Well when your bored or have children, fun way to pass the time and also to get them interested.

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses. I just posted a WTB on our company electronic bulletin board. I am offering 10X fv. Should get about 800 sets of eyes. We will see what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for your responses. I just posted a WTB on our company electronic bulletin board. I am offering 10X fv. Should get about 800 sets of eyes. We will see what happens. >>

The only thing you will get is 800 sets of eyes that now know what you collect... I would be very cautious posting
    something like that.. Good luck...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local shop which does a large business in 90% pays around 65% of spot and sells for 72-73%. The middle men often work closer or around 68-71%. I figure anything at 69% or less is a great deal considering that's under melt which is around 71.5%. The bigger regional guys in the northeast typically pay around 71% and sometimes up to 73% if the demand for it is strong. When one of my local dealer gets it he usually sells it to me for whatever the top regional dog is paying and that's usually never less than 71%.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I just pm Gary image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you for your responses. I just posted a WTB on our company electronic bulletin board. I am offering 10X fv. Should get about 800 sets of eyes. We will see what happens. >>

The only thing you will get is 800 sets of eyes that now know what you collect... I would be very cautious posting
    something like that.. Good luck... >>

Update: $238 FV purchased so far at 10x. One guy just sold me $123.40 and it is <40% halves. This is working out well; some of the coins are in amazing condition. I cant wait to get the time to check out more dates and mint marks.

My wife and I have a dinner invitation from an aquaintance on Thursday. He wants to sell what he has to me. I can only hope it is a substantial hoard.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I hope you didn't pay 10x for the 40% image
  • Options
    Stick with 90% not 40% silver. They tend to not be in demand and take a while to sell. As agblox stated, I hope you didn't pay 10x for 40% silver.....they are only worth like 1.5-2 bucks.

As for 90% composition, I am beginning to really like WLHs as they seem to be desired by everyone when you sell them and they bring a premium over melt. For example, coinflation says that a WLH for melt is around 12.5+x or so. I saw some WLHs sell for 145 a roll, thats 14.5x!!! I've gotten rid of some roosies, mercs, kennedies, franklins, and washies in favor of more WLHs.

• Options

<< <i>Stick with 90% not 40% silver. They tend to not be in demand and take a while to sell. As agblox stated, I hope you didn't pay 10x for 40% silver.....they are only worth like 1.5-2 bucks.

As for 90% composition, I am beginning to really like WLHs as they seem to be desired by everyone when you sell them and they bring a premium over melt. For example, coinflation says that a WLH for melt is around 12.5+x or so. I saw some WLHs sell for 145 a roll, thats 14.5x!!! I've gotten rid of some roosies, mercs, kennedies, franklins, and washies in favor of more WLHs. >>

Right. I have not gotten any offers to buy 40% percent silver yet, however I did include them in my WTB posting and will pay 3 X FV. I am not particular about what kind of coins they are when I am paying 10X. In addition I am buying from people who are less likely to have picked over the coins, so there is a chance to get coins that have numismatic value as well.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Ah, I see, The lot consisted of 40% Half Dollars, not 40% silver. I can't believe you've been able to purchase $235 for 10x face in less than a week from a posting on your company BB. Seems most normal people only have a few silver coins laying around they pulled from circ unless they're collectors themselves and then you wouldn't think they would sell so low b/c they know better.
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, I see, The lot consisted of 40% Half Dollars, not 40% silver. I can't believe you've been able to purchase $235 for 10x face in less than a week from a posting on your company BB. Seems most normal people only have a few silver coins laying around they pulled from circ unless they're collectors themselves and then you wouldn't think they would sell so low b/c they know better. >>

I am surprised as well about the amount. You are correct about most people having a just a few coins. Tomorrow night should be interesting. The wife of the couple that invited my wife and I to dinner tomorrow told me that her husband has 2 glass carboys full of change; he has the kids going through it for silver to sell.

I think the reason I am getting so many hits is the word of mouth.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    1 or 5 gallon carboys(glass jugs) I wonder?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>1 or 5 gallon carboys(glass jugs) I wonder? >>

5 gallon
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Whoa...now that's a lot of change...I'd love to go with you for the search...hehe.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!