Home Precious Metals
Options

Opinions on these Scottsdale products

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
We had a thread on Scottdale awhile ago and I remain intrigued.

I'll be adding some bars in the near future. The gold bar seems priced well. However, the silver stacker premiums seem steep compared to other bars. Opinions please. MJ

Academy 5 oz bar

10 oz silver stacker
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a 10oz stacker a while back. It was my first "big" purchase into silver. I got mine off Ebay as I got some bonus bucks at the same time. The auction I found was closing in a couple seconds, so I sniped it. Looking back, I could have gotten some eagles for the price I paid over spot, but it was an impulse buy. I think it's cool looking but unless I found one cheaper, I wouldn't buy one again.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought one, then realized I had to buy another so I could see them "stack"! I got addicted and bought 2 more. I now have 10 and really like them. There are like "Legos" for adults!
    These are the only silver bars I have, so I'm not much of an expert. I would be interested to hear from others who have Scottsdale Stackers and Engelhard or JM.
    As for the gold, that's new on the website, 1st time I've seen a 5 oz Acadamy bar too. Pretty cool!!! I'm going to start with some 5 and 10 gram Pamps plus start buying 1 oz Palladium Pamps in 2010.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< the silver stacker premiums seem steep compared to other bars. Opinions please. MJ >>>

At $202.00 a bar with silver spot at around $17.50 that price is way, way too high IMO for what I consider a 2nd tier brand name.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<< the silver stacker premiums seem steep compared to other bars. Opinions please. MJ >>>

At $202.00 a bar with silver spot at around $17.50 that price is way, way too high IMO for what I consider a 2nd tier brand name. >>

The Apmex 10 ox stackers are about $1.30 cheaper per oz. MJ Apmex stacker
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Wow...looks like the exact same bar with a different logo. Looks like I'll be getting my silver from Apmex from now on! I can't believe I didn't see this bar before, I've been all over the Apmex website the last 2-3 weeks. Thanks MJ! Tim
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow...looks like the exact same bar with a different logo. Looks like I'll be getting my silver from Apmex from now on! I can't believe I didn't see this bar before, I've been all over the Apmex website the last 2-3 weeks. Thanks MJ! Tim >>

Bet both are made by Academy Refiners. They will probably stack together nicely.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Apply the 8% Bing to these and you 10 bars for $177 each Delivered!

NTR 10 OZ BARS

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<< the silver stacker premiums seem steep compared to other bars. Opinions please. MJ >>>

At $202.00 a bar with silver spot at around $17.50 that price is way, way too high IMO for what I consider a 2nd tier brand name. >>

Why are they second tier? Are they short on weight or fineness?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    The "IGWT" stamp is very tacky. Its almost as if this producer is begging for some type of credibility with an addition like that. Pass.
  • Options

<< <i>The "IGWT" stamp is very tacky. Its almost as if this producer is begging for some type of credibility with an addition like that. Pass. >>

I guess you prefer the Chinese communist athiest coins. imageimage

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I feel if it's .999 it is silver worth spot $. Silver is Silver.

Last show I went to dealers wanted just as much for a Englehard 10oz bar as a NTR 10oz bar.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "IGWT" stamp is very tacky. Its almost as if this producer is begging for some type of credibility with an addition like that. Pass. >>

Yep. I wouldn't own them precisely because of the IGWT. Not on my metals.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting to see what passes for "enlightenment" in this pc world we live in.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

Yep. I wouldn't own them precisely because of the IGWT. Not on my metals. >>

So, you don't own any coins???
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yep. I wouldn't own them precisely because of the IGWT. Not on my metals. >>

So, you don't own any coins??? >>

Maybe only pre-civil war coins.image

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So, you don't own any coins??? >>

Sadly, I don't have a choice. But when it comes to bullion, by god I do.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Ya, I thought the IGWT was a little odd on a silver bar too, but, I liked the size and way they stack, so I bought them anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>It's interesting to see what passes for "enlightenment" in this pc world we live in. >>

Some people just hate to be reminded they are not the most supreme being in the universe.
  • Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

These 100 grams bars are sweet.

Coin Junky...

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scottsdale has great customer service and customer engagement. I also really like their stuff when I see it. They're a great ally to the hobby and investors in general. I always hear how nice of people they are.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I go out to Scottsdale, AZ. this year, I plan on visiting their facility.... Likely will leave with an item or two. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve purchased several bars from Scottsdale. I believe the bars and the company to be of the highest quality.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeh... the bars are nice.... but not sure it was worth bringing up an 11+ year old thread.....?

----- kj
  • Options

What's the premium on Scottsdale bars right now? That would be a relevant question.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 6:58AM

I bought a few of these 10ozers in Mar 2020 @$150 ea, I wish I would have bought a rail car full !!

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

Based on your post, that's a 28% to 32% premium for 10 oz Scottsdale bars. Requires a 30% move up in silver just to break even when you sell, unless of course there is a premium when you sell. Seems like a disincentive, but you must also factor in the bogus pricing driven by Comex spot paper prices.

It all makes you go "hmmmmmmmm".

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. You got a want these for some aesthetic or collector purposes, not seeing where that would flush out when you sell, though.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Agreed. You got a want these for some aesthetic or collector purposes, not seeing where that would flush out when you sell, though.

I agree. I have some Scottsdale silver. I think it's a really nice product but I feel it's one where no premium will be recognized if/when I go to sell it. It's too bad because from a quality perspective, they're excellent.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, cmon man, how could you not love this super stacker above spot?!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

I had 1 of those, but had to sell it during hard times. Probably thee most beautiful silver bullion out there now.

Coin Junky...