Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buffalo nickel MS66 question

I'm new to buffalo nickels and need some grading help. How significant is a "clean horn" on a buffalo nickel to obtaining an MS66 or higher grade? Would a little mark on the horn necessarily preclude anything higher than MS65? I have a really nice MS65 that I think could be considered an MS66 but there's a little mark on the horn...just want to know if this in and of itself would prevent an upgrade. Thanks.

Comments

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let see a pic of it. It makes it EZer to see what we are looking. image

Hoard the keys.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 6 needs outstanding eye appeal, while nice, attractive appeal will work for a 5. You'll also see a noticeable tick mark on a 6 (typically on the Buff's mid-section), while you'll see a few more of them on a 5.

All bets are off when you're dealing with weakly struck coins like many of the 20s S mint coins.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • I'll get some pics up tonight for everyone to weigh in on, but back to my central question regarding the horn, can you get an MS66 grade if you have a little nick on the horn? I'm not as familiar with this series as others and wasn't sure if the horn area had to be perfect for anything over an MS65 grade. Thanks.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your question cannot be answered with authority until the coin is viewed. Cheers, RickO
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Your question cannot be answered with authority until the coin is viewed. Cheers, RickO >>

And perhaps it can't be answered after the coin is viewed eitherimage That said, my sight-unseen answer to the original question, as posed below, would be no.

<< <i>Would a little mark on the horn necessarily preclude anything higher than MS65? >>

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Would a little mark on the horn necessarily preclude anything higher than MS65? >>

It should, but in practice it won't. I've seen 67's with unbelievable hits.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I think you may be confusing a clean horn with a well struck horn. Many collectors refer to the definition of the horn and tail to play a considerable part in the overall grade - not if it has a mark on it.

Someone correct me please if I'm not in the right direction with this..
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you may be confusing a clean horn with a well struck horn. Many collectors refer to the definition of the horn and tail to play a considerable part in the overall grade - not if it has a mark on it.

Someone correct me please if I'm not in the right direction with this.. >>

The difference between a flatfoot collector and a true collector.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...here's a PCGS MS-66 for your enjoyment.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am somewhat distracted by the two rather large gashes on the buffaloes left front leg. I would pass on a coin like this if looking for an ms66 1915. Otherwise it is a nice coin, but not a 66 because of the gashes. buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am somewhat distracted by the two rather large gashes on the buffaloes left front leg. I would pass on a coin like this if looking for an ms66 1915. Otherwise it is a nice coin, but not a 66 because of the gashes. buffnixx >>

I couldn't agree more. To call that MS66 is an inexcusable blunder. The hits are near a prime focal area, too.image
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    thats one ugly 15 p - I don't even grade this a 65
    ed rodrigues
  • Check out my thread entitled, "Check out this buffalo nickel" and you'll see a high end MS65 that looks better than this MS66. I'm going to send in for another grading and am not expecting, necessarily, an MS66 grade, but would not be too shocked based on some of the 66's I've seen here and on eBay. My coin is easily an MS65 if not higher, plus has great color to boot that doesn't show up on my pics but will on the TrueView!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........good thing i didn't say 67! i stuck the wrong ms should have been a 64. so water-board me.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file