Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How hard is it to find a well struck 1913 type 2 buffalo?

It seems like it's easy to find well struck type 1 examples, but what about type 2's? I just got an MS65 that is a nice coin, but the obverse is weakly struck, especially the LIBERTY near the rim. Is that typical with type 2's? The reverse is better, but lacks some of the hair detail in the buffalo. What makes an MS66 in this year and type? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

......evidently pretty tough to locate one. image at least for you! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    I think I'm making the mistake of comparing it to the nickels of the 1930's that are often hammered. I'll post some pics tonight, the coin is probably better struck than I'm giving it credit for, but the weak LIBERTY on the obverse bugs me a little!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.....here's a PCGS MS-65 1913-D type 2

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Tahoe... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks for that reference. I think mine might be nicer. Great color and luster, and minimal marks with at least as good a strike as that one.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I'm making the mistake of comparing it to the nickels of the 1930's that are often hammered. I'll post some pics tonight, the coin is probably better struck than I'm giving it credit for, but the weak LIBERTY on the obverse bugs me a little! >>

The dates in the ‘teens are a challenge but can be done if you have the bucks. A number of dates in the ‘twenties are where the rubber meets the road. Some of those dates, like many of the dates with mint marks on them, are virtually impossible to find well struck.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    A 13 TYPE2 IS A TOUGH coin to find well struck--- but with patience this can be done.
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Mint engraver Charles Barber tried hard to make the first issue of buffalo nickels look good, but the design was hard on dies. When the reverse was modified (with Fraser’s approval) Barber seemed to give up on keeping the quality high and permitted worn dies to run longer. This produced the commonly found weak looking coins. The strike is not necessarily weak, it is actually excess wear on the dies.

(See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for details.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file