Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should I crack this Peace Dollar and go for the MS-70 upgrade?

Should I crack this one out and go for the MS-70 upgrade? Is it worth much without a green bean? Since there is no toning, do you think it has been dipped at some time?

There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Comments

• << <i>Should I crack this one out and go for the MS-70 upgrade? Is it worth much without a green bean? Since there is no toning, do you think it has been dipped at some time?
    >>

I would dip it again for good measure ...LOL
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would dip it again for good measure ...LOL >>

COIN DOCTOR, COIN DOCTOR, COIN DOCTOR!! Whooop! Whooop! RED ALERT!
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • what's the blue stuff on the reverse?
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what's the blue stuff on the reverse? >>

I would also like to know about the blue schmutz and to get some better images on this 68 Peace Dollar. image
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>what's the blue stuff on the reverse? >>

I would also like to know about the blue schmutz and to get some better images on this 68 Peace Dollar. image >>

I agree. An MS68 Peace dollar deserves up close & personal images!
  • i would never pay 75,000 for that. Hell my 66 is better struck than that!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Considering the pedigree of that coin, any fingerprint that could be traced to the namesake of the pedigree would actually add to the value of the coin.

If you want to go for that MS70 upgrade then go do it now instead of talking about doing it.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

• << <i>Considering the pedigree of that coin, any fingerprint that could be traced to the namesake of the pedigree would actually add to the value of the coin.

If you want to go for that MS70 upgrade then go do it now instead of talking about doing it. >>

i think he was joking, no morgan/peace dollar would ever get MS70
  • Please post better pix. Looks like a solid 64 to me
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    >>i think he was joking, no morgan/peace dollar would ever get MS70>>

i tend to agree with this statement

www.brunkauctions.com

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Do you mean treat it with MS70 first? Yep that's what I would do dab a little MS70 on it and resubmit. You might not get it to grade MS70 the first few times but I think MS69 is a lock!image
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    First off, after you crack it, throw away the insert
    because Pedigrees aren't worth anything anyway,
    The only exception is the 'Longacre' pedigree.

Of course it's been cleaned and dipped, it's White, isn't it?

Don't worry about the Blue Schmutz. PVC is green.

Might as well go for the MS-70 grade. MS-69's aren't worth anything
    on "Modern Crap" and yours is just a 68...

To get more eye appeal, crack it and put it in an album,
    you might get a "Dansco Pedigree" (small premium)
    if it stays in there long enough, and you submit it in the album.

Coin Doctors often use Taco Bell sauce to help the toning.
    If you also collect Morgans, the Taco Bell sauce also comes in a large bottle.

Professional Coin Dealer SECRET:
    Engraving shops can do Laser engraving of the fields.
    Where do you think the DMPL Peace Dollars come from?
    (cost is around $35 for the service)

Let us know how it turns out.

• A blue finger print...?

Was Jack a smurf..?

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should I crack this one out and go for the MS-70 upgrade? >>

Uh, no.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the blue contaminant on the reverse nor are the images worthy of a 68, if it truly is a 68.

As for an upgrade, I wouldn't crack that out for fear it would downgrade to a 66 or 67.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

• << <i>...crack this one out and go for the MS-70 upgrade? Is it worth much without a green bean? Since there is no toning, do you think it has been dipped at some time? >>

----------------------------------------------------

Cracked it comes back 67 tops.

Doesn't need a green bean. Worth plenty w/o but likely wouldn't get one because the strike is not what a 68 is supposed to be.

Yes it has most likely been dipped.

P.S. Jack Lee pedigree added 2 points to the grade.

Linkification Close ups

Edited to add close ups....
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I think you should first send it to ngc to get a ms69 then cross back ro get the 70.image
  • 67 IMO.
  • Crackouts can cost you big time....believe me I know from experience.

Resubmit in the holder, they crack it out and regrade it raw, no downside risk.
  • Just a couple quick things,

First off, peace dollars are tricky to photograph, due to the design the coin can appear to be weakly struck although it is just the image- Dont waste your time throwing out grades based on images it cannot be done. Saying the coin is a 64 or something based off of those images is just pointless.

Ofcourse the coin was dipped it was a jack lee coin, he was a dipper.

I assume the blue is on the holder and not the coin, the coin would not have graded 68 with somehting blue on the coin.

Obviously you would not crack the coin so I guess this thread was to make other look silly image
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little bit of baking soda and a tooth brush will shine it right up image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Counterstamp it while you have it cracked out
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    Here is a link to the coin on Heritage. I am not the owner of the coin. Just having fun. Thanks to those with hilarious replies. image
    http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=388&Lot_No=2350

The close up photos have no blue on the coin and the coin is amazing. (except to soty27, who would have kicked it out of bed for crackers.)
    Soty27 wrote...

<< <i>Ofcourse the coin was dipped it was a jack lee coin, he was a dipper. >>

Funny if it's true. Note the first coin posted in this article. http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coins/the-basis-for-collecting-and-appreciating-naturally-toned-coins-part-2/

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i guess the blue stuff is toning and not something just on the surface?
    No, it's just a bad picture. The coin is bright white all around.
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Not a bad space filler
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • My vote is no.

Greg Bose
    CoinSpace.com Founder
    www.coinspace.com
  • ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Wow...tough crowd tonight.

The blue on the reverse is not on the coin. This is an incredible looking Peace Dollar and one of the nicest you will ever find. The luster is just blazing and the surfaces are pristine. If my memory serves me right, this coin actually walked into a Pennsylvania coin shop years ago in a collection. It was amazing how well the coin had been preserved for a piece just walking in the door.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    please have someone take some better pictures.

I saw a member here post a MS64-65 1926 peace I believe that was amazing and looked better than the pics of your MS68.

Maybe its your pictures???
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not much of a Jack Lee fan but I have no doubt this is an outstanding coin. Peace dollars are tough to photograph.

Ordinarily I would go along with the dipped notion but I have seen too many nice, white Peace dollars with original skin. These coins don't tone like counterparts.

I'm sure the OP is having a little tongue-in-cheek fun. No one in his right mind could hope for a 69.
    Lance.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should put a sticker over that spot on the reverse. Then write "PQ" with a Sharpie™ on top of the sticker.
  • Crack that sucker! Do it! Do it, now!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there ever been a Peace Dollar that got the MS-70 grade? I don't buy or look at population reports so I don't know.

Even if there were such a thing, it's hard for me to believe that it really qualified for it. Peace dollars are struck with rather shallow dies, and almost all of them could never have been graded MS-70 the second the dies separated after they came together to strike the coin.

I think that you have a better chance coming home of Los Vegas as a million dollar winner than cracking this coin out for an upgrade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file