Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Formative "Double Pinky" on Home Shopping Network

Comments

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    I also found MS67 examples HSN had, that had sold out

HSN WDDR-002 MS67 $129.95
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I have tried to get in touch with these people but it is nearly impossible.

I would like to get $129.95 for all of my MS67 WDDR 002's.

What would the get for the MS 67 WDDR 001's?

I just listed some MS 67's on ebay just to see if there will be any action at $129.95.

<< <i>I just listed some MS 67's on ebay just to see if there will be any action at $129.95. >>

Link ?

Didn't you have 68's too? I saw a 68 sell for $472 on Ebay. I think it was an 001 or 002

I don't know how to put a link on here but the ebay # is 150387655896

The MS68 that was on ebay was a skeleton finger. So far there have been no 001's and 002's that have graded any higher than 67'
  • A couple of weeks ago I put 2 67's on Ebay as a test and got less than $30 for each (001 &004)....decided against trying again

That is why I stopped selling mine about a month and a half ago. I decided to put a few on now just to test the market.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    Do you think the HSN customers know to look on ebay. Seems if they did they won't buy them at $89.
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know how to put a link on here but the ebay # is 150387655896

The MS68 that was on ebay was a skeleton finger. So far there have been no 001's and 002's that have graded any higher than 67' >>

Link
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
    That is my listing.
    Thank you for the link. I don't know how to do that.
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pit boss, it's easy to do. Open up the web page you want to link to. Right click in the address bar to highlight the address and in the dropdown list click on COPY to capture the URL. Then in the dialog box of the thread, click where you want the LINK icon to show up in your message.
    If the address is an http, click on http in the toolbar above your dialog box and that will open a separate window where you paste the address. Then click OK. That will then show the word TEXT. you type over that and call it what you want. Some people call it LINK, some people call it LINKY, some might even call it Earl for all I know. Then click OK and it gets inserted within your message.
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
    Let's just assume for one minute that the entire worlds collecting commerce does not revolve around Ebay.

Do you think the guy in video bought 200 on Ebay, had them certified and sold them on HSN?

No, he bought them from a dealer/wholesaler.

Who cares who's buying them, they sold out, twice. They grossed $18,000 on 200. I don't care if martians bought them.

Do you think they'll try to sell more; yes....Is the quantity unlimited; no. Will dealers start putting out "buy" ads for these, probably.

These were only produced for three months; 376 million. There hasn't been a Philadelphia mintage that low since 1958.

The lifespan of the "double thumb" die is what 50,000-100k.....if they didn't catch the flaw and pull it?

1 year, 4 designs, ONE design/ONE MINT with significant errors.

I think you'll be kicking yourself in a few years for not doing what you're criticizing them for........not buying them cheap on Ebay NOW.

<<stepping down from my soapbox>>

Stay on your soapbox because you sure are right. I don't mind selling some of mine but I will not completely give them away. There really not that many for sale on ebay now that are of any consequence.
    HSN continues to sell these at $89.95

When I 1st checked on their latest offering it said that there were only 16 left, now there's only 10 left. I don't know how many there were originally

Double Thumb

These are the WDDR 002 coins that they are selling for $89.95. The 001's are more valuable . These coins are going to be good in a few years I think.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Yes, the WDDR-002 appear to be in greater numbers than the WDDR-009 Sixth Finger. I remember in the past HSN was selling these DDRs and sold out, so it looks like they have some more now and in the different style ANACS holder.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>HSN continues to sell these at $89.95

When I 1st checked on their latest offering it said that there were only 16 left, now there's only 10 left. I don't know how many there were originally

Double Thumb >>

Papi, where do you see the quantity available? I just see "Almost Sold Out" and wonder where the figures are listed. Thanks!

<< <i>

<< <i>HSN continues to sell these at $89.95

Papi, where do you see the quantity available? I just see "Almost Sold Out" and wonder where the figures are listed. Thanks! >>

On my browser it's on the right hand side

Only 10 left
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only 7 left >>

Not exactly setting any sales recordsimage
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's just assume for one minute that the entire worlds collecting commerce does not revolve around Ebay.

Do you think the guy in video bought 200 on Ebay, had them certified and sold them on HSN?

No, he bought them from a dealer/wholesaler.

Who cares who's buying them, they sold out, twice. They grossed $18,000 on 200. I don't care if martians bought them.

Do you think they'll try to sell more; yes....Is the quantity unlimited; no. Will dealers start putting out "buy" ads for these, probably.

These were only produced for three months; 376 million. There hasn't been a Philadelphia mintage that low since 1958.

The lifespan of the "double thumb" die is what 50,000-100k.....if they didn't catch the flaw and pull it?

1 year, 4 designs, ONE design/ONE MINT with significant errors.

I think you'll be kicking yourself in a few years for not doing what you're criticizing them for........not buying them cheap on Ebay NOW.

<<stepping down from my soapbox>> >>

.........................................................................................................................................

Papi.............Could you give us a few links for some of the recent Ebay auctions where you purchased these steals??
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them idiots gave up selling the quarters or did i miss something? that sure is a crock image
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Just remember,
    "The single most determining factor of value is what? condition. The higher the grade, the more it's worth."
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just remember,
    "The single most determining factor of value is what? condition. The higher the grade, the more it's worth." >>

The Higher the grade, the greater the"Collector Value".
    You just have to love Mike Mesack.

I still have those 4 MS67's on ebay and have another 12 of each one. That is the highest grade obtainable on the WDDR 001's and 002's so far. I feel with the money being tight right now that is holding collectors back from purchasing at this point but I am not in a hurry.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a lot of them but am not going to give them away to anybody. If hsn wants them they will have to pay for them at my price. I have a lot of 50 WDDR 001's and 75 WDDR 002's on ebay now in case anybody decides they want some. These will be worth good money sometime and I am willing to wait. >>

...yeah but are yours slabbed? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

I have 40 left that are slabbed 14 WDDR 001 and 14 WDDR 002 . The rest are MS 66 , 6 of each.

<< <i>Papi.............Could you give us a few links for some of the recent Ebay auctions where you purchased these steals?? >>

The point is, if you got in on these at a relatively small investment; you'll make some money.

How much money is necessary to be worth your while; that's personal. I don't plan to buy a home, a car, or college tuition with my profits; but it's been worth my while.

I've sold 5 cents worth of pennies for over $200. That's good enough money for me.

I was merely pointing out, with the links, that there's a market for these coins.

Still there are those who continually poo-poo these as trivial, and yet respond to this and other posts. That baffles me, if they're of no interest or value; why respond?

I'd never presume to tell someone that they're foolish for buying something genuine that they like.

I stand on a soapbox sometimes, never on a pedestal.

Papi- I agree with you. I don't bother even looking at something I am not interested in. I too have sold quite a few of these coins- some as high as $300.
  • Wow - That is a total rip off
    And they sell out again @ $89.95+$8.95 shipping

Home Shopping Network~MS65 Double Thumb
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post. How many sold this time, and how long did it take for sell-out?

Amazing!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>Thanks for the post. How many sold this time, and how long did it take for sell-out?

Amazing! >>

This time they didn't say how many were initially available.

I wanna know where they get those wood display boxes. I can't find them for a wholesale price.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    There were a few on TT tonight. forgot to track them. WDDR-002 by ANACS....I believe there were 4, in grades MS66 (2), MS67 (1), and MS68 (1). Certainly, with the chatter about the hosing HSN has given for MS65's, SOMEONE tracked these items.....so, for those who did, how did the TT prices do (or, did they meet the sellers buyback?)

I almost brought it up earlier today in this thread, but a little birdie mentioned to the forum, not long ago, never speak of something until you have it in hand (in TT's instance, once it's over, it's yours), but I totally forgot....simply due to that little birdie!!!

Anyone know how they did? Certainly, the MS66 came in way under the HSN price of $90 (maybe even the MS67, but would love to see the hammer on the MS68)....but I see these first 4 on TT as the defining moment thus far for this variety.
    I'll come up with something.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    On the other hand, this one was quite a surprise! Someone thinking a Plus Grade perhaps? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>That was uncalled for Lyds! image >>

You say a lot of things that are uncalled for; but I digress.

I wish I had known about these TeleTrade sales. They wouldn't have gone that cheap.

For, ye who know it all. Hmm; can you tell who I mean?

Recent Ebay sale

<< <i>

<< <i>That was uncalled for Lyds! image >>

For, ye who know it all. Hmm; can you tell who I mean?

Recent Ebay sale >>

Wow! I'm impressed. That one sold at less than HALF the HSN Price!

Someone got a sweet deal! image

The name is LEE!

I guess a few things have happened while I was in the hospital for knee replacement surgery. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. I still say we here on the forum,even the naysayers have some, are going to benefit big time from these coins in the future. There are millions of lincoln cent collectors out there just wailing to hear about these coins.

Have a great day collecting guys

Steve
  • I really doubt "There are millions of lincoln cent collectors out there just wailing to hear about these coins."

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the sad part is that many swear by these television places. thats so sad
    These must be naysayers who do not own any!

<< <i>These must be naysayers who do not own any! >>

I don't own any beachfront property a mile off the coast fo Florida either.

But I do own a plot of New Mexican Desert just outside of Taos! These were sold at the Seattle Worlds Fair for about $20 apiece. A big enough plot for perhaps a single wide mobile home but I'd have to supply my own water buffalo, sewage and electricity. Costs me $5.00 a year in property taxes but someday, someone will come along and purchase ALL the plots to build a WalMart Distribution Center and then its...........................Ca-Ching!

The name is LEE!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think HSN is an appropriate place to sell these... they fit right in with the other crap they over-hype and sell for outrageous amounts.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I hate to harsh the general buzz here... but I think I could potentially make a stronger case AGAINST this helping the market for these than I could make FOR it. It seems to me that historically the TV sellers have taken away, rather than given legitimacy to most items they offer-at least in the mainstream collecting community. These are now being hawked by the same guys who have promoted such winners as extra-tree quarters, gold/silver/platinum plated statehood quarters, "colorized" examples of (insert coin here), 9/11 silver round trash, and countless rounds of selling legit US issues at well-over-market prices (anyone remember the $30 raw George Washington halves, $150 Statue of Liberty 2-coin sets, $2000 mint set collections, etc? ...and before someone jumps on me about comparative mintages-keep reading)... plus of course that's all before the shipping, handling, "processing" and whatever else they can tack on. That kind of track record doesn't usually lend itself to adding credibility to a new issue, but rather the opposite.

Yes, they are exposing the coin to a large market, and this error has a comparatively low mintage when put up against some of the items they normally push... but they are also helping saturate the market on a retail level...and if end-user retail buyers wrap up $90 per coin in these when the current wholesale market is substantially less...well, to say that it doesn't exactly serve to stimulate market value increases is a bit of an understatement. Also, bear in mind the number found is gradually growing (the extra TV exposure is also going to encourage more collectors to try to FIND these rather than pay the inflated retail value... many if not most of those will be people who weren't previously looking... therefore, more sets of eyes looking means that more examples will hit the market as a result.) Econ 101 says that a gradually increasing supply, a continuing saturation of the retail end, and a comparatively small (though undeniably loyal) core collector base for what is (let's face it) a not-so-photogenic, relatively minor variety.....equals diminishing returns over time.

We can talk about low mintage all we want, but with very few exceptions once the TV guys get ahold of something they run it into the ground. Yes, there will always be some mainstream collector interest but as the number found continues to grow and the TV sellers saturate the top end (retail) market, I see no viable long term future for these in terms of appreciation. For the sake of those actively pursuing these right now I hope I am wrong and that you can call me a fool later (hey, I hope I AM wrong-I have a few unopened boxes of LP2 myself!)... but my honest take on this is that there will be active buyers for these at good premiums only as long as they are still feeding these TV promotions...then the market for these will fall off sharply after that. That has normally been the pattern with "fad" errors/varieties in the past and I've seen nothing thus far to indicate anything to the contrary. It seems that a fairly small but vocal group of collectors/traders almost desperately want these to really take off... but I'm just not seeing it.

Just trying to give a bit of a reality check to those considering spending significant capital on these....of course it's just my opinion- FWIW. Peace.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

<< <i>But I do own a plot of New Mexican Desert just outside of Taos! These were sold at the Seattle Worlds Fair for about $20 apiece. >>

Was Teddy Roosevelt still in office?

<< <i> It seems that a fairly small but vocal group of collectors/traders almost desperately want these to really take off... but I'm just not seeing it.

Just trying to give a bit of a reality check to those considering spending significant capital on these....of course it's just my opinion >>

I thought the purpose of this forum was to provide information. That is the sole reason I started this thread.

What I don't understand is the responses from members that have no interest in these errors, other than to tell us how stupid we are for bothering with them. As if we plan on sending our kids to college with our fabulous ROI.

HSN has not been hawking these on the air. They showed them once, that I know of, back in NOV '09, getting close to a year ago, yet they continue to sell. The item remained on their website until it recently sold out. Sold Out without any TV sales pitching.

Honestly, I don't mind the differences of opinion. It's the assumption, by the poo-poo’ers, that the only reason we are discussing these is monetary, that I find distressing.

Where should we sell these again? Oh yeah, at the Worlds Fair.

<< <i>

<< <i>But I do own a plot of New Mexican Desert just outside of Taos! These were sold at the Seattle Worlds Fair for about $20 apiece. >>

Was Teddy Roosevelt still in office? >>

Actually, it was Kennedy.

The name is LEE!
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really doubt "There are millions of lincoln cent collectors out there just wailing to hear about these coins." >>

image Those who wanted/want these coins already own them. The ones that want to profit from these missed the boat and should have sold while the hype was new. The hype is old and some are left holding something that went out like the pet rock. Sorry to rain on the hype parade but these have already had their day much like the multi-tree quarters. If this continued pumping didn't continue on this board they'd probably less for less than $1 each. My opinion of course but I as well as others have seen numerous dump and dump hypes kept alive on this booard until the posters finally fad away........ FLBuffaloHunter comes to mind......
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the purpose of this forum was to provide information. That is the sole reason I started this thread.

What I don't understand is the responses from members that have no interest in these errors, other than to tell us how stupid we are for bothering with them. As if we plan on sending our kids to college with our fabulous ROI.

HSN has not been hawking these on the air. They showed them once, that I know of, back in NOV '09, getting close to a year ago, yet they continue to sell. The item remained on their website until it recently sold out. Sold Out without any TV sales pitching.

Honestly, I don't mind the differences of opinion. It's the assumption, by the poo-poo’ers, that the only reason we are discussing these is monetary, that I find distressing.

Where should we sell these again? Oh yeah, at the Worlds Fair.

I want to make it clear that I have no axe to grind against collectors of these varieties. Collecting is the reason the hobby exists and it's how I've made a living for a quarter century plus. And I never stated that the only reason you are discussing these is monetary(...although I do feel constrained to point out that those who are proudly touting how these 'sold out' never fail to mention the numbers and amounts). You can lump me off as a "poo-pooer" all you wish, but selling out on HSN isn't a valid indication of anything except that evidently there were enough non-numismatists that bought into their initial hype. They've sold out groups of some of the other items I mentioned in my earlier post as well. Colorized this, plated that, rare this, limited edition that... my point being that selling out something on HSN doesn't validate anyone's position as to whether something is rare, valuable, or even necessarily significant in regard to the mainstream numismatic market.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file