Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When does a variety become important?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
In my opinion:

1. When the variety is easily visible without the use of a magnifying glass.

Add some more ideas ...

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    When it's the last one you need for your collection.

When it means it's value is thousands of $$$ more than the other varieties.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Some people collect "varieties"; others collect "die marriages". Varieties " ... become important" when they are visible to the naked eye and are easily identifiable. Die marriages are all important to those who collect by die marriage. They are most important when you are lacking an example in your collection.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408

<< <i>In my opinion:

Add some more ideas ... >>

I'll modify...

When the variety is easily visible without the use of a magnifying glass to a 40 year old and under 2-3x magnification for older persons.
  • Options
    when it is in the Redbook and needed for PCGS Reg sets
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, this is a somewhat facetious answer but a good argument can
    be made that when it became policy for the US mint to have no short
    press runs then it followed that collectors would seek rarity where it
    could still be found; varieties.

Many of the things that make a variety popular are not quantifiable
    but early publicity or a catchy name can be big inducements for many
    people to seek them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a variety becomes important when someone else will pay a premium for it
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. When the variety is easily visible without the use of a magnifying glass. >>

That is true most of the time, but in the classic coin area, a new variety that has very minor differences, but also proves to be very rare, can become important too. An example that comes to mind is the very rare 1806, small 6, stems half cent variety. The variety gets one line in the Red Book, but there are two minor varieties of the coin. The rare one uses the same obverse as the very common small 6 stems variety, and the more common one has another die that is virtually identical. Telling the two apart is very hard, but very rewarding if you find the rare one. The rare one is worth as much as 28 times the value of the more common piece, but the "common piece" can bring a few hundred to several thousand dollars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For new coins, when it is first found and the flippers go nutso..... for old coins.. when someone decides to collect them. They are always unimportant to the uninterested. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when it is in the Redbook and needed for PCGS Reg sets >>

I think this is a much better answer.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Not all varieties in the Redbook are recognized by PCGSimage

Example, I collect Type I/II Trade Dollars combinations, easily recognized without a loupe, listed by the Redbook, listed by NGC if you request, NOT listed by PCGS. Maybe someday, I'll win the battle.

keoj
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Faceciously - Easy to remember to spell as it is one of only two words in English with all the vowells in order.

The other one means to do something in moderation.
    Tom

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Faceciously - Easy to remember to spell as it is one of only two words in English with all the vowells in order.

The other one means to do something in moderation. >>

Your memory is not very good then. image
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    When there aren't many and enough people want it.

Ed
  • Options

<< <i>Faceciously - Easy to remember to spell as it is one of only two words in English with all the vowells in order.

The other one means to do something in moderation. >>

It is kindda a "crappy" spelling to put an "e" as the first vowel. image

I suppose I'll remember now.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>When the variety is easily visible without the use of a magnifying glass to a 40 year old and under 2-3x magnification for older persons. >>

Thank you for that with out the aid of magnification I can not even make out what the date is on a cent or a dime let alone a variety. As a matter of fact all of my 1955 cents kind of look like DDO's without a glass image

Stew
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    When a segment of the numismatic market acknowledges the variety and people are willing to collect separately or pay a premium.
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Many of the things that make a variety popular are not quantifiable
    but early publicity or a catchy name can be big inducements for many
    people to seek them. >>

100% Agree!

Some varietes that were important 30 years ago are not so popular today.

Likewise, varieties that are not important today, may become important in 30 years when none can be found.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

......i don't mind having a variety that needs a dino-lite to see it. especially if there are only a few known. and i would be more than glad to share my dino with anyone that wants to take a close look at my specimen.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion:

Add some more ideas ... >>

When demand exceeds supply. Demand is created when PCGS includes "with varieties" in their Registry Sets. JMHO Shag
  • Options
    If you want easily visible, try this one. Not only that, you can feel it. Yet it has not made much splash yet.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&amp;threadid=697723&amp;highlight_key=y&amp;keyword1=type m
  • Options

<< <i>If you want easily visible, try this one. Not only that, you can feel it. Yet it has not made much splash yet.

>>

LINK FOR ABOVE.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thanks Cladking.
  • Options
    "when PCGS includes "with varieties" in their Registry Sets."

yep, and that's why my registry sets are going to be retired since PCGS' last little composite adjustments.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business-strike Franklin halves have some eagle varieties on the reverse, easily visible to the naked eye. But few people seem to collect them by eagle variety, and as far as I know they are not in the registries.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    <<Business-strike Franklin halves have some eagle varieties on the reverse, easily visible to the naked eye. But few people seem to collect them by eagle variety, and as far as I know they are not in the registries. >>

Good point! That is what I am finding with my type M's and even clad type B quarters.
    However, on the halves, how about the two 1956 proof varieties? They seem to have caught on. And it is the same variety.
    Perhaps the varieties are too common in the business strikes. And my clad B's are too rare. Maybe you have to have the right amount existing for a variety to make it. Not too common. Not too rare.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Importance is established by the person who owns it. Well, sort of like that.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Importance is established by the person who owns it. Well, sort of like that. >>

On another note: when I want to own it , it becomes more important, too.
  • Options
    <<On another note: when I want to own it , it becomes more important, too>>

Thank you for your encouraging words! I now remember that in several, once obscure, series I started to collect, prices rose so much that I couln't continue. Maybe there is hope for my clads yet.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    In today's market, I believe the PCGS Set Registry plays a BIG part. When they list a variety as a MAJOR variety it makes that coin one that needs to be collected. I would have never attempted to collect the 1998 and 1999 "close AM" Lincoln cent PROOF coins if they were not added to the Major varieties requirements this year. Now I got them and paid $$ for them and I believe they will hold their value because collectors now need them for their Set Registry. JMHO. Steve image
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whar Barndog said, when someone will pay a premium for it. Here is a variety that is not in the Redbook, is not visible to the naked eye even by attribution "experts", yet made the cover of Coin World and is worth around $20K Baley's 1807 O.115 discovery coin
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file