Home Precious Metals

2009 Fractional AGE's

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is anyone going to buy the 2009 fraction gold AGE's on pre-sale at APMEX?

They have a disclaimer that if the mint decides not to produce them that they will ship a substitute item.

Has the mint definitively announced plans to produce these?

I'm thinking with less than a month or two worth of production, this would have to be a relative rarity, even if it is bullion, and definitely worth buying.

Comments

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    some of the different date fractional AGE's do go for some premium. i just think as time rolls forward bullion is bullion unless it is slabbed in "70"

i haven't charted any spreads lately but 1/10 an ounce of AGE is about $125-130

it seemed earlier the usual spread was much less between the fractionals and a full troy ounce

were you thinking 1/2's?
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>were you thinking 1/2's? >>

Ideally I'd like to buy a tube of each, but I'll probably end up getting one or two of each denom.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Apmex culls through their rolls before they sell them?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • You cant buy these direct from mint?

I wouldnt do pre-sale. There prices are jacked up for those who have too much $$$$ & too little patience.
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

• << <i>some of the different date fractional AGE's do go for some premium. i just think as time rolls forward bullion is bullion unless it is slabbed in "70"

i haven't charted any spreads lately but 1/10 an ounce of AGE is about $125-130

it seemed earlier the usual spread was much less between the fractionals and a full troy ounce

were you thinking 1/2's? >>

Over 10 years has "rolled forward" since this coin was made. Its not "slabbed 70". Is it "just" bullion?
  • Ive been buying 1/10th's lately and just got my latest one this morning , a beauty 2000 issue.Gecko109's estimate is in the ballpark for present day , i paid $130 for this one which included my priority shipping.
    After reviewing mintages and pricing for prior years, I don't see how you can go wrong buying fractional bullion AGE's at APMEX's pricing. There's no way that mintages won't be low for 2009 - it not THE lowest. I think people will regret not buying.
    After reviewing mintages and pricing for prior years, I don't see how you can go wrong buying fractional bullion AGE's at APMEX's pricing. There's no way that mintages won't be low for 2009 - it not THE lowest. I think people will regret not buying.

The only problem is that if you want the 2009-dated coins, there is no guarantee at this point that Apmex will send you 2009-dated coins.

I knew it would happen.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Paying for some thing that does not exist does not sit right with me either.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • can you or can you not buy straight from the mint?
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

<< <i>can you or can you not buy straight from the mint? >>

The mint sells bullion like this only to a handful of dealers, not to regular folks. So no, you cannot or that's where I'd buy them.

• << <i>

The mint sells bullion like this only to a handful of dealers, not to regular folks. So no, you cannot or that's where I'd buy them. >>

I could never understand why the Mint would sell directly to the public (other than just not being bothered), especially now that they adjust their prices every week. They could easily adjust their check out to reflect current market rates and have a no return policy (like they do with the bulk Sac's and Pres. 1$ coins). That would cut out the middle man.

The best deal I made was with one of those PM dealers, in Texas, back in Jan 2004. You all know these deals, they sell you some gold and/or silver for the privilege of pestering you with (overpriced) slabbed "investment" gold pieces. I bought the limit their ad would allow, 1 roll of ASE's and 3 - 1/10th oz. AGE's. The silver was $168 for the mint roll of 20 and the gold was $45 each. Good move looking back. They did harass me once about every other month for about 3 years. They stopped calling when I told them the slabbed sunken ship treasure coins they were trying to sell me were on the "Shop@home" channel for half the price, no joke, same exact item (like I'd buy there either!). I never did buy anything from them besides that first promotion. In hindsight I wish I could had scored more.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any non "W" mintmark bullion coin cannot be purchased directly from the Mint.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a very short production run. These 2009 fractional AGE will have bunches of upside potenial......if the mint does produce them.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful placing pre-sale order with APMEX. Per their website:

"These coins are being Pre-sold for delivery as soon as the US Mint releases them which will be December 3rd. We expect to be able to ship them the week of December 7th. - 11th. ***Should the US Mint decide at the last minute NOT to produce these coins, APMEX will substitute these coins with their choice of either same size Gold Maple Leafs, Gold Philharmonics, Gold Krugerrands or Gold Kangaroos.*** If this is not acceptable, please do not order them until they are live!"

I agree, lots of upside on these as mintage will be lower than most previous years.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to risk receiving an overpriced subsitute gold coin, so I will wait to order when they are "live" then.image
    With a very short production run. These 2009 fractional AGE will have bunches of upside potenial......if the mint does produce them.

One can speculate whether the same is true for the Proof 1 oz. Buffalos and the Proof 1 oz. Plats, being released on Oct. 29th and Dec. 3rd, respectively. (Where is Groht when we need him?)image

I knew it would happen.
    Bought a roll of 2009 .. 1/10 ozers @ $119.46 per coin ... from APMEX ... I'll let u know when & if I receive them.

Now if Gold stays below $1050 for the next several days...the 1 oz proof Buffs will be priced @ $1,310 by the Mint when issued on Thursday.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought a roll of 2009 .. 1/10 ozers @ $119.46 per coin ... from APMEX ... I'll let u know when & if I receive them.

Now if Gold stays below $1050 for the next several days...the 1 oz proof Buffs will be priced @ $1,310 by the Mint when issued on Thursday. >>

If you don't receive them, you will be receiving APMEX's substitution for them.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>

<< <i>Bought a roll of 2009 .. 1/10 ozers @ $119.46 per coin ... from APMEX ... I'll let u know when & if I receive them.

Now if Gold stays below $1050 for the next several days...the 1 oz proof Buffs will be priced @ $1,310 by the Mint when issued on Thursday. >>

If you don't receive them, you will be receiving APMEX's substitution for them. >>

I know, but that's a chance I'm willing to take. 2009 Fractionals, in my book, may be somewhat scarce.

<< <i>If you don't receive them, you will be receiving APMEX's substitution for them. >>

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially if gold price continues to move upward.
    Just an update ... by ordering a roll of 1/10th ozers when I did, I've already saved over $500 ( price fluctuation ). We shall see if APMEX will honor the contract by the time they are available in December.
    What are people's thoughts about the 2009 fractionals?

I knew it would happen.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Why buy a presale? Buy them the day they are released. I can probably supply them if need be. --Jerry

<< <i>Why buy a presale? Buy them the day they are released. I can probably supply them if need be. --Jerry >>

Because at presale, I bought when gold was about $100/oz cheaper...

<< <i>Why buy a presale? Buy them the day they are released. I can probably supply them if need be. --Jerry >>

True, but with Gold on the rise ... I locked in a pre sale price (APMEX) @ $119.46 per coin...now the same coin is...$130+..... It's a gamble, but a gamble I was willing to take.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize they were letting you lock in a price. Looks like their premium is quite high right now--11% over spot for the 1/4 oz for example, which is their protection for a gold price increase. if gold goes up 5% you can still buy at this price on issue day I would think. --Jerry
    Looks like buying on the APMEX presale turned out to be a REALLY good move. Congrats to those who did!

• << <i>Just an update ... by ordering a roll of 1/10th ozers when I did, I've already saved over $500 ( price fluctuation ). We shall see if APMEX will honor the contract by the time they are available in December. >>

I dont think you have anything to worry about. I myself have ordered gold eagles in the past from APMEX and soon after ordering the price of gold went up quite alot. APMEX still sent them to me at the reduced gold price even though it went up. I dont believe the 2009 fractional gold coins will ever be worth more then bouillon. They were not minted with the "W" mint mark and as such were not made for collecting. I also checked the known mintage numbers for them and found the half ounce coin will be of the lowest mintage in the 2009s
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
    Just got an email from APMEX ....

"It is now our pleasure to let you know that we have our allotment of Fractional American Gold Eagle Coins in stock and ready to ship!"

looks like I'll be getting mine soon.

I just received another email fr APMEX .... We are pleased to inform you that your order #xxxxxx from APMEX has been shipped via USPS (United States Postal Service). (Express Mail)
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>Just got an email from APMEX .... >>

Weird, I just got the same email.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    What's the premium over spot right now?

<< <i>What's the premium over spot right now? >>

APMEX 1/10th oz AGE

Buy Price Sell Price
    $136.12 $153.13

Volume Discounts