Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Microwaving Mineral Oil?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would heating up mineral oil aid in more rapidly uncrusting a chunk of copper image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    Not sure, but it might make a tasty batch of popcorn!!!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gecko!!!!
    I'm disappointed in your response! image

You know that might start a fire! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I would guess, based on how diffusion works, that warm or hot mineral oil will work faster.

I would also guess that it would only cut your time in half; you would still be soaking that coin for weeks.

A microwave won't keep the oil hot for long enough. Do not microwave your coin.

I wonder if you got the oil REAL hot if it work REAL fast. My guess is that it has been tried and it wrecks coins.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microwaves heat stuff (foods) by speeding up the the natural vibration of the water molecules. This causes friction which results in heat.

I am not sure, but mineral oil has no water molecules in it, so microwaving it may result in as much heat as microwaving a sheet of paper (none).
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are ways to heat up mineral oil other than a microwave.
  • Options

<< <i>Microwaves heat stuff (foods) by speeding up the the natural vibration of the water molecules. This causes friction which results in heat.

I am not sure, but mineral oil has no water molecules in it, so microwaving it may result in as much heat as microwaving a sheet of paper (none). >>

HMMMM. Simply put the container with the mineral oil into a dish of water and put THAT into a microwave.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are ways to heat up mineral oil other than a microwave. >>

And, you put your coins in those? Ewwwww image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. I'd be concerned with starting a fire or explosion if you leave it in the microwave too long.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Heat, is not generally considered a friend to coin welfare.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heat, is not generally considered a friend to coin welfare.

Copper, being somewhat reactive anyway would probably tend to react more quickly with anything that is already deposited on the coin's surface when heated.

Also, don't all microwave ovens warn against putting metallic objects in them? I think that you may create a fire hazard, in addition to burning out the microwave itself by doing what you are suggesting.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heat, is not generally considered a friend to coin welfare It's one of a coin doctor's best friends.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cook with aluminum foil in the micro often. The foil simply reflects the waves, keeping what's covered cool.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>

And, you put your coins in those? Ewwwww image >>

You put a bottle of MO [with the cap barely cracked loose] into a pan of hot water on the stove. This will allow you to heat the MO to about 100 C. You then put the coin into a cup and pour the hot/warm MO over it. Repeat as necessary. No one said anything about a deep fat fryer LOL. Sometimes one has to assume a bit of ingenuity/smarts on the part of the reader. MO is 100% hydrocarbon in nature [liquid vaseline if you will] and has virtually worthless solvent power for this application.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does acetone work better on coins after it's been heated in the microwave?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Does acetone work better on coins after it's been heated in the microwave?image >>

I think the idea was to get the MO warmer and nothing else. Obviously there are any number of ways to do that. For extended low heat a clean crock pot might not be a bad idear. To borrow a quote from Good Morning Viet Nam, do a little crack pot cooking.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    New definition for cooked?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does acetone work better on coins after it's been heated in the microwave?image >>

Better get right with the Lord before you try that!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you here have obviously never heard of or used an ultra sound denture cleaner. Works wonders on verdigris encrusted copper.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

image"And when we come back, we're gonna turn it up a notch!"
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Bamm! I tried tossing most of a styrafoam ice chest in a five gallon bucket filled with gasoline. I let the coins soak for a few days. Overall it didnt work out and the Fire Departments version is total BS.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bamm! I tried tossing most of a styrafoam ice chest in a five gallon bucket filled with gasoline. I let the coins soak for a few days. Overall it didnt work out and the Fire Departments version is total BS. >>

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Microwaves heat stuff (foods) by speeding up the the natural vibration of the water molecules. This causes friction which results in heat.

I am not sure, but mineral oil has no water molecules in it, so microwaving it may result in as much heat as microwaving a sheet of paper (none). >>

Oil heats up in a microwave...haven't you ever tried to melt butter, which is essentially oil...it works wonders.
    A microwave oven works by passing non-ionizing microwave radiation, through the food. Microwave radiation is between common radio and infrared frequencies. Water, fat, and other substances in the food absorb energy from the microwaves through dielectric heating. Many molecules (such as those of water) are electric dipoles, meaning that they have a positive charge at one end and a negative charge at the other, and therefore rotate as they try to align themselves with the alternating electric field of the microwaves. This molecular movement represents heat which is then dispersed as the rotating molecules hit other molecules and put them into motion.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that I would prefer a brillo pad to your method.

Might hurt the coin, but you'll have fewer third degree burns.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

True for oils as well.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file